• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just got part of a halftrack for $350

ljspoon

Since I was a kid, I remember this local halftrack that a local military vehicle collector had. He only had the back half and he grafted on the front end from an M 37 along with an old flathead V8 for a powerplant. He sold it at one point but ended up with it back again at some point. He passed away while I was deployed and when I returned most of his collection was already gone. I was informed that the halftrack was sold too. I have been trying to find out who owned it for a while and when I finally did, it was being parted out for scrap. I was able to get what was left of it from the guy for $350. The steering column is gone as well as the front end, engine, transmission and transfer case. I know that this will never be a collector vehicle but I would really like this to become a decent facsimile of a halftrack. I will try to post some pictures of it as it sits. I should be getting it next week sometime, the guy that I am getting it from said he has an engine, transmission and transfer case to throw in. I am curios if anyone could tell by these pics who made this and what model it was. I know that the best thing to do would be to use it as parts and acquire a restorable example however, budgets and all preclude this poor public servant from doing so.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. We all have to start with something. You did OK with your purchase because the tracks are worth that even if they are not that great. As far as what model this was, that will be tricky. The very back of the frame will tell you if it was a M2, M2A1 or M4 or M4A1 (short), or M3, M3A1, M15 or M16, M16A1 or M16A2 (long). The large diameter idler spring indicates it is post 1942 or so.

woodwalker

engine and other stuff is worth money you paid plus some.
the hood numbers were stamped in the housing if they were rebuilt by Bowen that was not from the factory some better pictures of the rear end would help. if the front frame is still there look on the drivers side just behind the fron tirere that will be the manufactures
serial number and will help identify its maker and model.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aww man! good score! I've been looking for exactly just the parts you got, I have been designing a deuce halftrack for awhile now! What are your plans for it?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck getting her going. If you do decide to part with it I sure could use it for my project.

Can't wait to see more pictures and learn more about the modifications done.

ljspoon

When I finally get a chance to get it home I will take lots of pics. Should be a fun project but I have to get my sawmill set up first. Need siding on my house