• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just need a little guidance on a 6.2 liter

strelnik

I'm waiting to find out if my offer on a Air Force 1 ton cube van 1993, with a 6.2 liter engine is accepted.

Can someone please tell me the best manuals to get?

It has been suggested I get all the HMMWV TMs, especially TM 9-2320-289-20P .

I'm interested in two things at this point:

1. If the vehicle hasn't been started in a while, it will be towed on a full-sized trailer, then slowly PM'd the RIGHT way. All fluids replaced, all filters replaced and new battery. I'd like to double-check what I do with a manual. What are the best ones to get, civilian and/or military for this engine?

2. What are the particular dangers/mistakes I must avoid before starting this engine? I believe it hasn't been started for three months. Don't know when the last time the oil was chnaged, am taking no chances.

I have 30 years experience with diesels, but never GM diesels: Caterpillar DDAD, Mercedes, even VW but never GM.

With some models, I know: following the manual makes all the difference between destruction and use.

Your suggestions appreciated, hope to return the favor when the time comes by making a sticky on things to do for basic maintenance, with pics.

Thanks!

:grd:

jasonjc

A 1 ton van is just that a 1 ton van. Just get the chevy or ford manual for it.

The HMMWV TM will not do you any good.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GM 6.2L diesels use a GlowPlug system. Don't use ether to help start it unless you disable the GP system. Otherwise it may go BOOM.

These engines can sit for years and start up with a little help.

You can get a Haynes or Chilton manual for the van. They also have a diesel manual.

The CUCV and HUMVEE manuals will help some with the engine but they are different animals.

Last edited:

strelnik

The GM 6.2L diesels use a GlowPlug system. Don't use ether to help start it unless you disable the GP system. Otherwise it may go BOOM.

These engines can sit for years and start up with a little help.

You can get a Haynes or Chilton manual for the van. They also have a diesel manual.

The CUCV and HUMVEE manuals will help some with the engine but they are different animals.
I never use ether for anything, having found lots of other ways to start diesels on cold days. even the older ones w/o glow plugs can be started using the block heater, a charcoal pan or other means.
I do have experience with diesels, just not the 6.2. Every one has particulars, I have found, so it's better to ask before you do something you may regret, at least that's how i've looked at it.
Thanks for the info!

Now I got to find the chevy one-ton van manual, lol:grd:

ryan77

I just started a 6.2 that sat over 3 years!!! New batteries, fresh fluids, filter. Bleed and prime fuel filter and she fired right up!!!:jumpin:

strelnik

I just started a 6.2 that sat over 3 years!!! New batteries, fresh fluids, filter. Bleed and prime fuel filter and she fired right up!!!:jumpin:

Thanks,, I'd like to chat with you and I'd like to find the Chevy manual for this vehicle, the one-ton USAF cube van with 6.2

Any suggestions?
Thanks![thumbzup]

ryan77

Thanks,, I'd like to chat with you and I'd like to find the Chevy manual for this vehicle, the one-ton USAF cube van with 6.2

Any suggestions?
Thanks![thumbzup]
Get any chevy truck manual for that year? The drive line will be similiar! These diesel will come back from the dead there so simple to work on! :grd:

Jake0147

2. What are the particular dangers/mistakes I must avoid before starting this engine? I believe it hasn't been started for three months.

Three months is nothing, Key goes to the right... If it's lost it's prime, or otherwise won't start, standard diagnostics and solutions will apply.

Don't know when the last time the oil was chnaged, am taking no chances.

That would be the best place to put your worries. Specifically, the rest of the truck's life before the three months.

I have 30 years experience with diesels, but never GM diesels: Caterpillar DDAD, Mercedes, even VW but never GM.

With some models, I know: following the manual makes all the difference between destruction and use.

It's not high strung, standard coolant, decent fuel (although they tolerate moderately aged fuel well), good cranking speed (Rock solid cranking batteries and circuits). Glow plugs can be an issue, rubber fuel line can be an issue. I'd chase the last two down as a leak, no start, hard start repair though before I went and loaded the parts shotgun. Fresh oil, solid batteries, get it running and see what you've got first.

ODdave

As said before, Treat it the same as any other diesel with an injection pump and glow plugs, it dosnt need anything special. Also three months is NOTHING. fresh bateries and it will probably fire right up.

P.S. Before mods get ya, PLEASE post your location. Thanks.

dependable

I bought the same model & year van from GL 2 years ago. My lawn mowing crew uses 6 days a week this time of year. Other than maintenance, the only thing I had to fix was shift circuit in the 4L80e tranny. The Air Force had maintained it well and provided me with a big folder of past service records, which the Army never did for my several GL CUCVs.

strelnik

As said before, Treat it the same as any other diesel with an injection pump and glow plugs, it dosnt need anything special. Also three months is NOTHING. fresh bateries and it will probably fire right up.

P.S. Before mods get ya, PLEASE post your location. Thanks.
Thanks for the info, I did post my locatio n as Michigan, do they want the city too? Didn't see that requirement anywhere.

strelnik

success with the USAF 1T 6.2 liter

I bought the same model & year van from GL 2 years ago. My lawn mowing crew uses 6 days a week this time of year. Other than maintenance, the only thing I had to fix was shift circuit in the 4L80e tranny. The Air Force had maintained it well and provided me with a big folder of past service records, which the Army never did for my several GL CUCVs.
We towed the van to my friend's house on a platform, changed the oil, charged the battery and BOOM! started right up.

My one concern: the oil pressure level is a little slow to get up to the center point, it sits there for a minute before it moves. I have good oil in it, Mobil 1, and am wondering about that. I have not yet changed the oil filter, one was not available and am wondering if that is why the oil pressure seemed slow to respond.

Or is that an electrical issue with the sender that is just maybe stuck from lack of use?

Any ideas welcome, especially if you are a 6.2 liter owner.

My next question: what parts should I stock up on?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Wait, these vans have 4L80E trannys in them? With a 6.2? What year was yours? Hmmm, now the brain is smoking.