• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just painted my halftracks

68t

Thanks brian and maddawg 308, well the soft cab halftrack was make by autocar, in ww2. Several were made, but most went to russia, some were left in the usa to haul radio vans, and some had fuel tanks to fuel b29 in ww2. This is the only one i know of .

M215

Hunnicutt's excellent book on halftracks covers some info on the Autocar T17 halftrack. Shows a picture of one with the radio box.

Have any halftrack spare parts available?
Thanks, Karl

68t

Thanks everyone for the great comments. I will get some more pictures to post. We been working hard trying to get the halftracks and a ww2 ammo trailer ready for the veteran day parade.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That appears to be a T17 or T17E1 halftrack. Originally configured with a cargo bed from a GMC to haul a SRC299 radio set that weighed in at 5000lbs. This is why the armor was removed and replaced with the soft skin from an autocar truck.. If this is original it is very rare. Not Many were produced like less than 30. it proved to be inferior to the GMC truck for hauling the radio set. I don't think any were sent overseas but i may be wrong. It might say in hunnicuts halftrack book

i have seen several halftracks converted with a autocar cab mounted up front that were not original. Either way its a nice ride.

Do you have any interior shots?

watson

Yes, its the reel deal when my uncle and I picked it up we thought someone had just put a truck cab on a m3 frame.
But we got it home and really started looking it over and we knew it was to perfect someone would have went to a lot of work to have made all the detailed parts, it had all the data plates so we done some research and found out what we had was a t-17. we are in the process of reworking a m105 trailer bed for it, although not correct I think it will look really close.

Thanks.

Attachments

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice to see. The 105 bed will look good and you can always stay on the look out for a GMC CCKW Bed. I think the wooden compsite body is what was used. Now you need a SRC299 radio set.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I beleive the bed that was used was a QMC standard, very close to the early cckw bed. because the bed used for the lend/lease version was the standard

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks