• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just picked up a M35A3 and have a few questions

MAdams

Just bought this truck and I love it so far. I had searched and read this forum for all these answers but couldn't come up with them.

1. I know these aren’t race cars but my truck is ungodly slow and I don’t think it would make it up a 6% grade. Has anyone turned up the injector fuel rack on their 3116? I understand I need to watch for EGT’s but how many turns is safe? I’ve owned a few diesels and they all smoke a little, but not this truck.
2. Any idea what max normal boost pressure from the turbo should be?
3. Steering wheel has a ton of play. It not coming from the tie rod ends, its in the steering box. Is there an adjustment for this?
4. Windshield washer fluid squirters don’t squirt. Are these air operated?
5. Transfer case is super hard to shift from low to high and will only go in while the trans is in neutral. I know they’re supposed to be syncro’ed but mine will not shift while in gear at all.

Hoefler

I have owned an M36A3 for several years. Its not what I would call fast but it is "spritely". Perhaps you are starving for fuel-any white smoke. A common issue is the fuel pick up check valve in top of tank. It gets gunned up when the truck sits. Its an easy fix-take it apart and clean it-takes 5 minutes.
Steering play-I would make certain your steering box is not coming loose from frame. Mine it nice and tight and have never adjusted it. I think there is an adjustment on the steer box-check the TM's. These trucks have the air o magic cylinder assist-I put some Mystery Oil in one the small compressed air line that comes from the pressure regulator located inside of frame. Makes the steering work much more "assisted".
Washer fluid is manual with a small lever-pomp it up and clean yer shield. On the transfer case-check the linkage pins and put some WD 40 on the pivots. Mine shifts with a little force-not much. It should not be so hard that you flex the linkage. I don't shift mine on the fly.
One modification that makes the truck work better-front lock outs. Money well spent and may make your transfer case shift better along with your steering. I got a set from C & C and they work great. Ouverson makes them too. I have also replaced the standard wheels and tires with a set of 395's on new wheels. One of the reasons-truck runs at lower RPM when driving at 55. Further-most of the A3's have sat around on checked tires. You don't want one of the front tires to blow when you are driving. Check your tires and if checked, get a new set. members on this site occasionally offer up newer sets.
That ugly front end will grow on you so much you will some day find it rather attractive! An A3 is a keeper.
I have posted a picture of mine so I can drool some more. Enjoy!:mrgreen:
Pete

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard :grin: Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway:driver: In your downtime feel free to meet the SEARCH BOX in the upper right of each SS webpage. Most of the questions you've asked, I believe, have already been discussed and archived here. I think Mr. SEARCH will soon be your best mate on this voyage. So, grab a cup of coffee and enjoy some searching and reading time. You may even accrue some credits with the Community College of the SS.

Again, W E L C O M E ! ! !

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of my buddies has an M36A3, his normal "highway" speed is about 47mph, so he has proven even slower than the M109/M185s and now leads the pack when we travel. (We always stick the slowest guy out front).

Am I the only one who actually thinks the A3's are good looking trucks? Skysearching nose (I love that description, can't remember who on here coined it) and all.

Cheers

AZK9

Just bought this truck and I love it so far. ...
Welcome from Arizona! [thumbzup]

There's a ton of information here, but at times it can seem impossible to find. I've found that
the more I search the better I am at finding those 'hidden gems' I was looking for.

A tip I'd like to suggest is to start reading any random thread (related to your MV type) just to
see what the 'talk is about'. Often... important keywords will reveal themselves to you during
that reading. Build a keyword list on a sheet of paper and add tally marks each time the word
is repeated. Jot down any/all abbreviations used by SS members while posting. It helps a lot!
Hang in there. Before you know it, you'll be helping others to do the same.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A3s are cool, 55mph max, down hill with a tail wind. I love mine. Double check all the vents, especially the transmission vent. Insects love to plug them. The Allison transmission needs to be vented. Find the operators (-10) manual, lots of good info that addresses most of your questions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks