• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just picked up MEP002 Batteries drain in 2 weeks

Tomh

I am new to the forum, but have goasted the site for a while. Just picked up an MEP002A. When I picked it up I asked one of the guys If the unit worked. He replyed that it fires up and generates but the batterys are drained of voltage within two weeks. He said that some expert told him that he needed to replace a part behind the control panel and he indicated a spot near the hour meter. Now, his boss elected to get rid of the unit and didn't want it fixed. Got this unit off of GSA auctions.

I don't have the insight that some of you guru's have. So, before servicing and preping this thing for an initial start up, is there some words of wisdom that can help me solve the battery drain issue. I'm pretty handy around mechanical equipment but this is my first attempt at raising a Generator from the dead.

jbk

sounds like dc reg. or stator. the reg./stator is located under the blower sheet metal up front. also check the fuse located on the sheet metal above the oil filter. you might wont to check out the tms that are available on this site. I don't know of anything behind the control panel that would cause this.

Last edited:

Rapracing

sounds like dc reg. or stator. the reg./stator is located under the blower sheet metal up front. also check the fuse located on the sheet metal above the oil filter. you might wont to check out the tms that are available on this site. I don't know of anything behind the control panel that would cause this.
I am not expert by any means but those should not drain the batteries just sitting there idle should they? Something has to be placing a load/draw on them to drain them.

Is it possible the batteries are not good? I'd be more inclined to think that may be the case.

easttnemc

The fuel pumps are powered from the batteries. If the charging system is not working, then the batteries will drain just with the engine running.

There is a fuse in the cowling near the IP...start there. All the battery charging components are under the cowling near the flywheel and are independent of the generator electronics. The charging system on these works just like a riding lawnmower charging system works.

Rapracing

The fuel pumps are powered from the batteries. If the charging system is not working, then the batteries will drain just with the engine running.

There is a fuse in the cowling near the IP...start there. All the battery charging components are under the cowling near the flywheel and are independent of the generator electronics. The charging system on these works just like a riding lawnmower charging system works.
He doesn't mention that it is running. The way it sounds to me it is draining them just sitting there?

Maybe you can clarify that Tomh??

easttnemc

He doesn't mention that it is running. The way it sounds to me it is draining them just sitting there?

Maybe you can clarify that Tomh??
i re-read and he did say idle.....I read it as idling. I guess reading really is fundamental.

If that is the case, use a test light or ammeter/voltmeter and start narrowing things down. Check to see if the batteries are charging while it is running.....if the charging voltage regulator/rectifier is messed up, it could possibly allow a small current flow from the batteries while everything is off and IDLE.

ProPower

I had the same problem! And I fixed it! TM 5-6115-584-12. Pg. 130 Figure 4-23. Battery charging alternator. Item #5 Regulator/Rectifier. The circuit board in this box is probably burnt up! You can buy a rebuilt one for about $50 or send yours to Tom at Gulf Coast trucks in Texas for a rebuild. TM tells you how to check this so test it before you buy a new one! Takes about 1.5 hours to R&R. Good luck!

Last edited:

Isaac-1

A cheaper "fix" is adding a battery disconnect switch and turning off the batteries when not in use.

Ike

p.s. A lot of people around here are upset with Tom for not doing work or shipping parts as promised, I don't know what happened with him, but his online reputation seems to have really dropped in the last year or two.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A cheaper "fix" is adding a battery disconnect switch and turning off the batteries when not in use.

Ike

p.s. A lot of people around here are upset with Tom for not doing work or shipping parts as promised, I don't know what happened with him, but his online reputation seems to have really dropped in the last year or two.
That is a "Band-aid" not a fix to the problem.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Ike

I do not believe anyone has mentioned this to any of the moderators or admin.

If there are issues, please inform us.

And, to be 100% clear, Tom who?

m38inmaine

The TM states to disconnect the batteries if the set is not to be used, I don't recall the length of time. I also seem to recall an earlier post of capacitors on the fuel pumps going bad and draining the batteries.

Isaac-1

I do not believe anyone has mentioned this to any of the moderators or admin.

If there are issues, please inform us.

And, to be 100% clear, Tom who?
I was referring to Tom at Gulf Coast mentioned in the previous post, there have been multiple threads here and on SmokStak regarding orders placed with him in the last 2-3 years that never arrived, parts sent for repair that never returned or took much longer than quoted, etc.

Here is one of multiple threads that address the issue http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?93498-MEP-parts-from-Gulf-Coast-in-Baytown-Tx

Personally I have never bought from him, but have contacted him a time or two about parts, and after what I have read might still buy from him, but that is only because I can drive to where he is in under 2 hours from my house.

Ike

steelypip

Yes, there are capacitors between the power bus and ground in a couple of places. They're known to go bad and cause grief. They exist to damp out electrical noise generated during fuel pump operation and are not critical for gen set operation. Try taking them out of circuit and see if that fixes the problem. I know that my MEP-002A makes a small spark across the battery terminals when I hook it up - that's usually a sign of charging up a capacitor somewhere.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think he is a member on SS.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The caps on the fuel pump supply wires should not have any voltage when the master control switch is off.

Probably not his issue.

I have a battery disconnect on my MEP002.

Isaac-1

I don't think he is a member on SS.
I am not sure, I think he posted a few messages either here or on Smokstak offering MEP generator parts 3-5 years ago, but would not even swear to that. At the time he seemed to have a good online reputation.

Ike

Tomh

WOW! What a wealth of knowledge you guys are. Thank's a heap. Just to clarify: The forest ranger who told me of the problems with the generator said that the batteries drain when the uint has not been run for two weeks. Now, the batteries did not come with the unit, so it may be that they were old batteries. If the batteries were new then I have a problem with the charging circuit. If this is like the charging system in a lawn tractor I should have no problem. If it's a diode, can the diodes be replaced?. I have soldered capaciters to circuit boards sucessfully in the past. When the weather warms I'll dig into this and will post the fix.
Thank's for all the insight.

easttnemc

Check the -12 tech manual, section 4-27 for how to troubleshoot the battery charging system. It is pretty easy using a basic voltmeter.

There is an alternator under the flywheel that produces AC, then is fed through a voltage regulator/rectifier combo. All parts located under the cowling near the flywheel on the injector pump side of the engine.

Get het two good batteries and go through the troubleshooting process. Let us know what you find.

1800 Diesel

... Now, the batteries did not come with the unit, so it may be that they were old batteries. If the batteries were new then I have a problem with the charging circuit. If this is like the charging system in a lawn tractor I should have no problem. If it's a diode, can the diodes be replaced?. I have soldered capaciters to circuit boards sucessfully in the past. When the weather warms I'll dig into this and will post the fix.
Thank's for all the insight.
Always verify battery condition is fully charged and batteries are known good before suspecting the charging system. Also clean all connections & tighten securely. Speddmon has an excellent sticky thread on the MEP-2&3 charging system:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?94880-MEP-002a-and-MEP-003a-DC-Charging-System-Test

Use this for troubleshooting if you're still not getting about 26 volts (or per TM) across the batteries while running the generator at speed.

Kevin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks