• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just picked up my first m1008

87cr250r

you stopped at hollister hills !:drool:

Yes I did. It's a familiar place for me (I've ridden it for years on 2-wheels). Familiar is good when you're in an unfamiliar truck with no recovery gear.

Oh, I fixed the cold start issue as well. Finally got the 8 glow plugs in. I changed out the connectors for the wider .25" disconnect. So, the list is getting shorter. I've still got to pick apart the shroud to find the pinhole in the radiator and haven't done the kingpin yet. But the death wobble is fixed.

And wow, this thing actually gets some decent fuel milage. I was expecting 12-14 but I seem to be getting 18+. I'm going to have to check the odometer against some mile markers. The 33 inch tires took me from oh **** I'm going to get run over speed to I can almost match traffic as well. The Odometer says I put over 800 miles on the thing this weekend and I seem to have only burned around 40 gallons of fuel.

The future for this truck should involve trips to Stonyford, Cow Mountain, and maybe Tahoe National Forest once it starts warming up. It's my daily driver at the moment. I'm thinking about sewing up a canvas soft top for the rear to make this thing an ultimate camping truck.

I love the camo, too. If I ever need to park the thing I can just hide it in the trees and nobody will know it's there.

Last edited:

87cr250r

Putting in glow plugs that work has brought up some other issues with the alternator belts being toast so those are getting replaced tomorrow.

I got your number, CUCVFEAK. I wanted to call you Friday and swing to check out your rig but I was way behind schedule and traffic was awful. I'll give you a ring some time soon, I want to pick everybody's brains about these things and see what others have built out of them. I don't think I'm going to make anything nearly as extreme as your's, though.

Last edited:

combat jump

Congratulations on the win! Bargain price too. So, did you inspect the truck in person before bidding, or just bid and hope for the best? Where was the auction? How did you get it home? This morning, I rode from San Jose up to Dixon (near Sacramento) to look at an M1008. My expectations were more for what he was asking, I and rode home without it. :/

87cr250r

The truck was on craigslist. It had already been registered and everything. The moment I saw it I said to myself I must have this truck. I didn't care that it had bald tires and a can of ether on the seat. It was located in Stockton. I simply drove it home, after a shot of ether. The previous owner knew nothing about it and had negleted some of the details but I've only put tires on it, glow plugs, and a right side tie rod end and the thing is ready to rock and roll. I met a guy at Hollister a while back who had one of these trucks and after he took me for a ride in it, I knew I had to have one. I'm really excited this one came along at the time it did (didn't want to have to ride my motorcycle through the rainy winter again). I couldn't afford anything more expensive, either.

I was getting ready to go check that one out in Dixon but I hopped on CL real quick in the morning and saw the one in Stockton so I decided to head there first. I knew the Dixon one was way over priced. I wouldn't have even considered it unless I could knock a grand off his price and the truck was in perfect condition and fully registered. The only reason I was headed out there was because I wanted to see what I was getting myself into. There was one other M1008 in Southern California listed for 3100. That one looked like it had tires and everything and was ready to drive home. Figure you could pick it up for 2800ish if it's listed for 3100.

You said you "rode" to Dixon, eh? Motorcycle?

Last edited:

combat jump

Sorry for not getting back soon... Yes I rode to Dixon. My "daily driver" is a CBR600RR. I have since found an M1028 that is getting me through the wet weather nicely, haha! Cucvfreek has been a great help getting it running right and painted.

Tell me what size tires you went with, and where you got them? I am shopping for some in (or about) 285/75R16.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks