• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just picked up my first M1010!

cuffnstuff

Hello to all: new member, and just picked up my first M1010. I have been learning a lot from all of the posts, and am glad to have this site!
I picked up my truck at a local auction; had been sitting since 2009. The police department recieved this truck from Ft. Mead in 1994 with 9457 miles; it now has 15,737 -it was used as a back-up shooting range truck for the local PD. The mechanic who worked on it for the PD gave me a full list of everything that they had done to it since they put it into service, and it has had a TON of work done to it, and been used very, very little.
I checked everything over, put in two new batteries, and with one cycle of the glow plugs she fired right off and purred like a kitten -I was blown away! The only thing that does not work so far is the horn!
More to follow, and any thing that is special to the M1010's that I should check please let me know!

Attachments

Cool find! Welcome to the site. Get familiar with the Technical Manuals over in the TM section of the site, they will help you out greatly. If all that doesn't work is your horn, you got it made. Take some large pics of the new ride.

HoJoPo

The horn on my M1010 doesn't work either (former Search and Rescue rig), they use the horn to switch tones on the siren.

I just need to find where they cut the wiring and put her back together. :)

Good looking rig, at least they didn't butcher the paint trying to remove the law enforcement markings like they did to mine (flat black spray paint over the doors and any decals they couldn't remove.)

cuffnstuff

Thanks for the welcome and the horn info.: I thought they might have cut the horn wire and will be tracing it down soon. The PD didn't remove any of the decals or other equiptment (they forgot!) so I can take my time and heat and peel the decals and replace the red lenses with amber ones. As long as I don't drive it with the decals I am safe!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1010

They like camping, fishing, mountains and it's hard to keep them out of the water. Once they're in the water, they don't want to come out.

Go fishing, get pictures and enjoy, nice find.

Anything done on that motor by the PD to make it go faster?

Attachments

K9Vic

Welcome, I miss my M1010 they are great trucks and fun to drive. They are a huge head turner when people see you driving them. The one I had was also black from a police department and used it as a SWAT van.

ptrjason

Judging by your name, I bet you work for that department you got it from, or a neighboring one? lol

Anyway I was about to suggest to check the wiring to the siren. If you can look up the install manual for it, they are out there, trust me ;) It maybe as simple as turning on the siren power button, and it will let the power complete the circut, letting you have a horn, but it will probably be the air horn from the siren.

I have worked at departments with the sirens hooked to the horn ring, and some that dont. Like my current, that is too lazy to do it.

2002ford

I love the 1010`s. I will be getting mine out of storage in spring. It was drained off everything by GL. I will post about it when it fires up.

cuffnstuff

Thanks for the advice about the added equiptment; that was the first thing I dug into to check for issues -disconected everything and traced out the wires and did not find any issues; not to mention having the siren and lights working is a big no no in new york! lol! I think the best way to fix my electrical woes is to remove the duvac system and go with "plan B" (from the testing I did based on the advice i found here it is fried along with the top generator).
I do not think any engine mods were done, but she really gets up and goes when you have a heavy foot, and it does turn some heads; limo tint and fresh satin black paint in the spring; maybe even a little lift if I can find a "budget" way to do it so I can run some larger tires and up my top speed a bit -feel free to direct/ advise me in the ways of the 1010; I am learning as i go.