• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just picked up the M1009, a couple leak questions

galeo7171

I just brought home my 86 m1009 from Ft. Jackson, SC. After a new battery it started right up! I have found two leaks so far.

The first leak is easy I think. Its leaking transmission fluid out the output shaft of the transfer case. The fluid gathers up on the u joint and drips down. I'm assuming all it needs is a new seal?

The second leak might take some time to fix. When the truck isn't running, diesel gathers on the oil pan and drops down. It looks like its coming from the passenger side, as I can see diesel on the starter. When the truck is running the diesel doesn't leak. I've done searches here but haven't come up with a real good explanation, of course I've been busy with work so I might just be missing the correct information.

ssgtwright-usmc

The leaks that I have experiencedhave been due to a bad fuel filter base in which I had to replace.
I saw one thread here where a member added some metal fittings to his to fix that problem.
The other threads I have seen here about the fuel lines are all due to the rubber connections to the fuel lines.
One post said their is a hose near the passenger side near the fuel pump that usually gets pinced by the engine mounts.
For you not knowing how long thye vehicle has set before you bought it, i would buy about 4-5 feet of rubber fuel tested fuel line and cut to fit all the old rubber lines.
I would also do the same for the rubber hoses for the fuel injector lines above the glow plugs.
For those, a cut to fit is a must, do one line at a time.
Rubber hose line is cheap and they only sell it by the foot where I am at.
I would change the rubber first then go to the fuel filter then if all else fails, the fuel pump.
Remember, spray clean the engine first and let dry so this can help you to pin point the area of the leak.
Having a wet and dirty service its hard to tell where any leak is coming from unless its pouring out right in front of you.

CCATLETT1984

If you are taking about the rear output of the transfer case, then yeah you just need a new seal. Best part is you can install it without removing the tcase from the truck, just have to get the driveshaft out and replace the seal.

try looking under the intake manifold (where the injector lines run) for fuel under there. If you have fuel there odds are the rubber feed hose needs to be replaced that feeds fuel to the IP from the filter base.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks