• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just the next New Guy

someoldmoose

Hey y'all,

Just like the title says, I have fallen into the never-ending abyss of bliss that is owning, restoring, and (hopefully) living in a piece of history. I have arranged to purchase an M820 expansible van with the intention of it becoming my retirement home. I have done and am doing as much research as I can prior to taking delivery of my dream. I have experience in several trades going back to the late '70s. These skills have been dormant for a while and I am looking forward to using them regularly again.

Sooooo anyway, just wanted to say "Hi" and hope to enjoy playing (paying) on this new adventure. Thank you in advance for answering any questions I might have (I know, check the threads first :-D ) and I will gladly (and probably too often) respond to questions I see tossed on the field. Happy Motoring !

Chris "Moose" Herr

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS!!

It is a wonderful addiction!

Ask away when you need to.
The guys here are a invaluable asset of information and experience

General Hood

Hey y'all,

Just like the title says, I have fallen into the never-ending abyss of bliss that is owning, restoring, and (hopefully) living in a piece of history. I have arranged to purchase an M820 expansible van with the intention of it becoming my retirement home. I have done and am doing as much research as I can prior to taking delivery of my dream. I have experience in several trades going back to the late '70s. These skills have been dormant for a while and I am looking forward to using them regularly again.

Sooooo anyway, just wanted to say "Hi" and hope to enjoy playing (paying) on this new adventure. Thank you in advance for answering any questions I might have (I know, check the threads first :-D ) and I will gladly (and probably too often) respond to questions I see tossed on the field. Happy Motoring !

Chris "Moose" Herr
Post up some photos when time allows. And welcome from SE Oklahoma

someoldmoose

cropped-M820 Van Truck (18).jpgcropped-M820 Van Truck (15).jpg37aa42f1-3800-4c7b-b83c-e594833fae92-11202015-cropped-M820 Expanded.jpg

The pic of it opened up is from another vehicle. The super singles are at the top of the list right after all safety items and PMCS items.

Mr.Appel, already saw ya on here. Sure I'll be in touch at some point.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

Attachments

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Hey Moose, welcome from Cape Cod, MA, nice looking rig. If you had the trailer that would be a serious road train! Good luck on the build. Keep us updated. We like pictures.

someoldmoose

Thank you simp5782 sir. Don't even have the truck just yet:driver: but I will certainly keep the option on the table. Appreciate the offer though,

Cape Coastie, a trailer is absolutely on the list. Considering options but it'll be a while. Will absolutely be MV based. Documentation of the work will be provided ( I like pics too ). Saw a thread on here where a member started on one then apparently some bad stuff happened. I'm hoping that won't be the case for me but my crystal ball :carnac: gave up loooooong ago.

Also, thank you thread gods (honestly, no sarcasm) for fixing the thread title. Wanted to adjust it but wasn't sure how.

Last edited:

someoldmoose

Punch list :

Whatever the chassis needs to be safe and reliable. The seller is very good about that but I am a total nit picker when a vehicle weighs 27,000 empty.
Super single wheels and tires ( have a few leads, always willing to listen to an offer -- PM please, request not in the thread ).
Lights -- changing most to LED bulbs in the original housings where possible
Reality -- update filters to spin-ons
Dream -- repower with Cummins ISX and Eaton automated 10 spd (as if)

Have basic floor plan laid out on graph paper. Planning total gut of box interior and start with any needed framing repairs ( a strong house needs a strong foundation ) then building from there.

End game is to be totally self-sufficient for electric, water, and fuel ( WVO converter )

This is not planned to be a quick job. Have three years left until retirement. Wanna do it right, not fast.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
you may want to consult profo on here. His name is marty. he did a camper build on his 927 and it is far nicer than any camper you would pick up on an RV lot that costs $200k or more. and his is all aluminum. But then again marty is like "Lifestyles of the rich swamp people"

someoldmoose

red. planning on the 395's also. Was told that with the van body I will lose a lot of articulation and be very tall going to 53s. Just looking for a few more m.p.h. over the 1100 - 20s and being easier to air down and back up without the inside duals on the rear.

Just read through the build of Mr. Rayzer's Taj. All I can say is . . . BRAVO ! Very much what I have in mind. I will be having a clothes washer/ dryer and dishwasher in mine as I plan to live in it full-time after retirement. Finish level will hopefully be in the same realm. Again, congratulations. Excellent work.

Rough draft of my twisted dream : IMG_20170426_230124.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks