• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just wanna be sure as I'm seriously close to going super single...

kenn

These are m35a3 wheels that bolt right up -- I believe. There's only one of these types of wheels, correct? I am wanting 395 85 20 or 14.5R20, whichever I can get newer, cheaper, and most tread for. I'll need 7 so I have a spare plus the tires, of course...

Anyone run these? Below aren't road worthy - just referencing the design/size/option.

I'll have to check around Texas and see what I can find for tires, but I believe that the price above on the wheels is about as good as it's going to get.

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are m35a3 wheels that bolt right up -- I believe. There's only one of these types of wheels, correct? I am wanting 395 85 20 or 14.5R20, whichever I can get newer, cheaper, and most tread for. I'll need 7 so I have a spare plus the tires, of course...

Anyone run these? Below aren't road worthy - just referencing the design/size/option.

I'll have to check around Texas and see what I can find for tires, but I believe that the price above on the wheels is about as good as it's going to get.
All the Michelin XL tires are very old at this point and probably won’t last very long. I’d go with Michelin XZL or Goodyear MVT.

HDN

Those 20x8.5 wheels are MLVW wheels. I think they'll be too narrow for 395s or 365s. The M35A3 uses wider wheels, 20x11.

I agree with going with the modern 395s. Make sure you get an assurance with the date codes on them though so you can better expect when they'll start dry cracking. That's one thing I'm going to do the next time I buy tires since I've had mine mounted for a year now and they're dry-cracking. They're also 15 year old tires.

kenn

Those 20x8.5 wheels are MLVW wheels. I think they'll be too narrow for 395s or 365s. The M35A3 uses wider wheels, 20x11.

I agree with going with the modern 395s. Make sure you get an assurance with the date codes on them though so you can better expect when they'll start dry cracking. That's one thing I'm going to do the next time I buy tires since I've had mine mounted for a year now and they're dry-cracking. They're also 15 year old tires.
Thanks! I'll keep looking for the correct wheels in stock. I thought the same thing -- i.e. the width but then a user asked the same question in the comments and they say 20x11 which is why I was confused...

Q M35a3 wheels are 11 inches wide. Is 8.5 a typo?
A nope, its not typo, we talking about bolt pattern and rim width have nothing to do with it

On a side note, I found an older thread where someone singled with the Michelin 1200s on these wheels and it actually looks pretty good! I'd be totally fine with that look as it is still about 3" bigger than stock 9.0x20 NDT. I won't ever be carrying anything monster heavy in the rear bed so carrying capacity isn't really an issue. My only real concern with the 395s is that is a LOT of added mass on the front. How does it affect the already difficult steering?

Last edited:

HDN

Q M35a3 wheels are 11 inches wide. Is 8.5 a typo?
A nope, its not typo, we talking about bolt pattern and rim width have nothing to do with it
I think that answer is confusing, unless I've always misunderstood rim sizes. I always thought they were nominal diameter by thickness.

As for steering, I'm not sure. I've only ever driven super singles with air-assisted steering.

kenn

I guess the michelin XML/XZL in a 12.00R20 would also work on the 20x8.5 beadlocks and be just a little beefier. Given the width I'm sure these would be fine as well singled. I see some 2013+ date code floating around in 90%+ tread...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess the michelin XML/XZL in a 12.00R20 would also work on the 20x8.5 beadlocks and be just a little beefier. Given the width I'm sure these would be fine as well singled.
I agree.

12.00 XMLs on M34 wheels.jpg

And careful with the 14.5 XLs, or any other MPT-type tires: They are not compatible with stock M35- or Canadian Deuce MLVW wheels! Its not so much about the required wheel width; rather the bead section that doesn't match.

kenn

I agree.

View attachment 879474

And careful with the 14.5 XLs, or any other MPT-type tires: They are not compatible with stock M35- or Canadian Deuce MLVW wheels! Its not so much about the required wheel width; rather the bead section that doesn't match.
Thanks!

So let's assume I want to go with 12.00-20s in XML/XZL singled. Or is the goodyear 272 still made? From the picture above it appears these have been singled on stock wheels. I guess I could go that route and save the money on the wheels? Flip the rear hubs, mount them using a cage and I'm GTG? I know the recommended width is 8.5 so there would be a little bulge but nothing like the 395s on stock wheels...

I'll need new tubes I assume. Anything else?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the picture above it appears these have been singled on stock wheels.
Yes, stock M34/m135 wheels, which have about 1" less backspace compared to your typical M35 wheel, or in other words they increase your track width by ~2".

Attachments

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The purpose of flipping the hubs is so when you put singles on the rear the tires track with the front. Otherwise the rear tires will run narrower than the front.
You take the hub and flip it the opposite direction and knock the studs out and install them the opposite direction.

kenn

Ok, since I seem to be all over the place in this thread, let me make it more clear. I like the 12.00R20s and since I can run those on the stock split ring wheels, I am going to go that direction. As I have 11 wheels, I'll pick the 7 best, clean them up and paint them, then mount the 12s after I flip the rear hubs. I've got a quote somewhat locally for $250 each for XML 90%+tread. I'm waiting on date codes. If those are too old, then I'll have to search elsewhere.

Since I plan to use the stock split ring wheels I assume I will need a tube for each tire for that size along with a tube protector but I assume I can reuse the stock ones if they are in good shape.

Are tubes OK with the 12.00R20 Michelin XML/XZL or is that a no-go? If tubes are OK, where is the best price to get a quality, heavy duty tube?

kenn

Yes tubes are fine for those tires. Make sure you get radial tubes if they are radial tires as bias ply tubes will blow up from the heat of radials.

Just so it has been stated, the xml tires don't wear as good as the xzl tires.
Yeah, I can't seem to find 90%+ tread in xzl that are more recent date codes. A lot of sites are listing but don't actually have them or only have a couple.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks