• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just when you thought GL couldn't suck any worse

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Since there is not a "GL sucks again" thread I'll post this here.

This morning I attempted to call GL at Fort Rucker (looked up the number on the GL website) about 0730 CST...got an answering machine that said office opened at 0800....fair enough...called back at 0830 and got the same recording...WTH it's 0830.aua

I was trying to set up a pickup of a truck for a fellow member as soon as his EUC clears.

Since Rucker is an unmanned site I decided to call Fort Benning and low and behold there is the same phone number......GL Corporate Office in frigging AZ.aua

So I wait until 10 am MY TIME and call......I get Heidi on the line (a real good person to work with out there) and she gave me a phone number of the GL guy in Jacksonville, FL (not unusual for manned sites to go out to unmanned site).

I call the guy but it is the wrong guy......he does not go the Rucker.aua

So I call GL AZ again and get another young lady who explained that too many people were calling the various GL sites and actually asking questions.

HUH....don't they get paid to deal with local customers???? So now you have to call AZ to get the number of a local GL site if you have never dealt with them before.:cookoo:

OK.....just give me the GL guys number and I'll set up my pickup.

She asks for the event and lot number that I don't have because the EUC hasn't cleared yet.....I just want to be proactive and talk to the guy I'll be dealing with. She says I can only give you his number if you have the event and item number or if you are going to set up a date/time to preview. auaaua

Since I have the puter on and am on the GL page I look up an event and lot and tell her I want to preview it and could I have the GL number which she gives me.

I call the GL rep (Doc) and we have a good, professional conversation and since he is only there one day a week he tells me what I need to know as far as loading and how to get to the site.

If you go to any site and look for a phone number you are going to get GL Corporate.....get ready to deal with it.

Thank you GL (mis)management for taking what should be an easy thing and making it into an exercise in frustration.:roll:

:rant:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got my paid in full invoice last week and the contact number has a 602 area code (AZ). I figure it's the generic GL number. I get on chat with Heidi (she gets around) and she confirms the number. It seems that the GL reps have cell phones with AZ area codes. Go figure....:?

About this time my phone rings and it's the GL rep I was going to call, calling me to arrange pick up. :shock:

F18hornetM

I love the liltle ranting switch thing at the bottom. :beer: but have you noticed every thing you do today, be it your bank, insurance and GL, its a big run around. Nothing seems straight forward.

F18hornetM

I got my paid in full invoice last week and the contact number has a 602 area code (AZ). I figure it's the generic GL number. I get on chat with Heidi (she gets around) and she confirms the number. It seems that the GL reps have cell phones with AZ area codes. Go figure....:?

About this time my phone rings and it's the GL rep I was going to call, calling me to arrange pick up. :shock:

and then....when something works we are shocked :)

ryan77

Nothing can be easy anymore! What used to take a simple phone call, Turns into 10 phone calls, multiple emails and a migraine! Some times i wish it were 1950! All this technology makes people dumber and harder to get a hold off..2cents

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Nothing can be easy anymore! What used to take a simple phone call, Turns into 10 phone calls, multiple emails and a migraine! Some times i wish it were 1950! All this technology makes people dumber and harder to get a hold off..2cents
A can and string worked great,

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
It's a security issue

I made a few calls and was told that some weird ole guy was entering military facilities with some diseased looking stuffed animals that look like fat rats!:shock:

Seems he dresses like an Army feller and sweet talks his way on post and the CDC has put out an emergency APB to keep those sleezy varmints away!

All phone #s are routed thru corporate HQ's so they can screen calls and alert the CDC if necessary.

I declined providing any information about the ole feller when asked!:beer:

Attachments

rbeasley66

Wreckerman,
I've worked with Doc before and he is a good guy. I was picking up at an unmanned site and I couldn't be there when he was, so he lined me up with a local he knew that picked my trailer up for me.
Sometimes it works and sometimes it don't.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I've worked with Doc before and he is a good guy.
He seemed like a decent sort......gave me the skinny I'll need to do my pickup.

I've been to Rucker a couple of times and having an ID card helps with getting on post so unless Mr Murphy rears his ugly head everything should go as planned.

ryan77

He seemed like a decent sort......gave me the skinny I'll need to do my pickup.

I've been to Rucker a couple of times and having an ID card helps with getting on post so unless Mr Murphy rears his ugly head everything should go as planned.

It will all work out smooth!!! At least i hope it does for both our sakes!!!:shock:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know it sounds like a runaround not to be able to get your GL rep without being "pre-screened", but the other side of the story is that the poor reps were spending all day on the cell phone answering stupid questions while trying to drive forklifts, etc. I have seen it in person at Ft Polk, poor Linda with the cell phone in one hand and the forklift controls in the other "I don't know if the poles are aluminum or fiberglass" "I do not know if it runs" "what part of buyer load do you not understand?"

CGarbee

Thankfully, I have a really good relationship with the folks at the bases that I buy most of my stuff from (I have all the cell numbers programed into my phone...).
I do have a couple of horror storries when I have been out of my usual area (dealing with unmanned sites where the GL rep was on one side of the base and I was at a yard on the other side...but in each case, a Sargent was able to track the GL reps location down for me and everything worked out ok), but usually, it has gone well for me (either it's been a manned site with a good crew or I have had somebody on the forum here snag the items for me...).
I also seem to do very well when calling AZ (love it when I get Robin or Heidi on the phone...)....

I have noticed that my local guys seem to be on the phone less often than in the past, so this explains things... :)

91W350

I know it sounds like a runaround not to be able to get your GL rep without being "pre-screened", but the other side of the story is that the poor reps were spending all day on the cell phone answering stupid questions while trying to drive forklifts, etc. I have seen it in person at Ft Polk, poor Linda with the cell phone in one hand and the forklift controls in the other "I don't know if the poles are aluminum or fiberglass" "I do not know if it runs" "what part of buyer load do you not understand?"
I know the guys at Ft Riley's stress levels have dropped 75 percent since the new phone system went in. Most of the calls they were getting were people wanting to know if the trucks ran or if the tires were rotted... They are understaffed at Riley and always have a pile of things waiting to be listed. I fully understand the changes, but found it frustrating when I tried to schedule my pickup at Offutt.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
As always there are two sides of the story.......but (IMHO) it adds another level of irritation to what should be a simple process. Most reps have voicemail on their phones.....just because a phone rings doesn't mean you have to drop what your doing and answer it....especially if you are operating a forklift.

If someone needs an immediate answer then they can call AZ.

Since I have the local GL offices in my phone this may not be an issue anymore......I guess I strayed too far out of my confort zone.

Maybe we can get together and compile a list of phone numbers for our respective GL sites and have a sort of private directory available to SS members.

cobra5

I had the opposite results last week. I e-mailed the gov liquidations and they told me that they weren't sure if the site would allow me to review before EUC approval. So of course I called the DRMO directly, I had an old base phone book from when I was stationed at the base. Anyway I played phone tag with the guy running the site and finally when we talked he told me to come on down and he allowed me to swap the batteries out to see if the truck would start. The truck had been on the lot for a year before it was auctioned and it started just fine and everything worked. I also found out the truck was driven onto the lot so I know the brakes work. BTW I'm retired military so I didn't need help getting onto the base. Now I just have to wait for the EUC to get approved.