• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just when you thought you've seen it all!

Ray70

Well, I have an interesting story for you folks!
Today I took in a newly acquired 802 that belongs to a friend, in an attempt to try to give him a hand.
He said it runs and makes power but won't rev up to 1800 RPM.
He dropped it off this morning, and of course, with about 1,000,000 other things I need to be working on, I just couldn't help but tear into it right away!
It starts up good but regardless of throttle position it's barely hitting 800 RPM.
Check both cylinders and both are firing.
Pull one metering pump and the rack and pumps seems free.
Pulled the droop adjustment plug with it running and poke at the end of the rack with a screwdriver and it rev's up just fine.
So obviously something is wrong with the governor.
Pull the radiator, housing and tank as a unit and pull off the timing cover and this is what I found!

governor spring.jpg

Anyone who hasn't been in the timing cover of a DNxM may not see it at first glance, but those of you who have will quickly realize where the left hand spring is!
It's hooked onto the first pushrod! :eek:
This is not something that can happen by accident, it physically can not pop off the throttle lever and get itself caught on the pushrod... with the hook facing to the right, clockwise around the pushrod, it is physically impossible for that to happen!
The machine has 600 hours on it ( reset unit ) and it appears someone has been inside the timing cover before.
So either someone made a real silly mistake, or someone went to great lengths to make sure this machine would make it's way to the auction block.
I can think of easier ways to make a gen appear to be junk, "IF" someone was trying to help someone else get it cheap at auction!
Or maybe someone just wanted to make sure it went away??
Guess the truth will remain a mystery!

Guyfang

Staff member
Some fool just did not know what he was doing. Switch two wires in the control panel and you can create a "Problem" in a set. Since the MEL is 0.00%, that means spend no money or time fixing it. Turn it in. No, some fool just got in over his head.

For a tricky one, hows this. An SS member and I created a 30-40 page thread, (at least) on trying to get a MEPO-005A to run. Power to the IP solenoid, but the engine would not start. We checked everything. Then at last, I told him to hook a wire to the Neg side of the solenoid and go to ground. Ran like a champ. The ground from the solenoid goes back to the Special Relay box. Someplace between the S/P relay box and the solenoid , someone opened the wire harnes, found the ground wire, and cut it. Taped the two ends back together. Closed the harnes. Sly dog, is what he was.

jamawieb

Today I took in a newly acquired 802 that belongs to a friend, in an attempt to try to give him a hand.
He dropped it off this morning, and of course, with about 1,000,000 other things I need to be working on, I just couldn't help but tear into it right away!
It starts up good but regardless of throttle position it's barely hitting 800 RPM.
Pulled the droop adjustment plug with it running and poke at the end of the rack with a screwdriver and it rev's up just fine.
Pull the radiator, housing and tank as a unit and pull off the timing cover and this is what I found!

View attachment 888827

Anyone who hasn't been in the timing cover of a DNxM may not see it at first glance, but those of you who have will quickly realize where the left hand spring is!
This is not something that can happen by accident, it physically can not pop off the throttle lever and get itself caught on the pushrod... with the hook facing to the right, clockwise around the pushrod, it is physically impossible for that to happen!
The machine has 600 hours on it ( reset unit ) and it appears someone has been inside the timing cover before.
So either someone made a real silly mistake, or someone went to great lengths to make sure this machine would make it's way to the auction block.
I can think of easier ways to make a gen appear to be junk, "IF" someone was trying to help someone else get it cheap at auction!
Have to say never seen that before!

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!

View attachment 888827

I think of the tailspin this would have caused a first-time user. And then, attempting to get help on this forum. I've read some pretty elaborate threads on this forum where one of you very experienced guys took the time to walk someone through the process of diagnosis for many different scenarios. There's definitely a lot of patience here on this forum. Even the TM's in this case...would they lead someone in the right direction? Ray, your experience here was an asset. Great job!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to give Ray my utmost thanks. I've been dealing with some challenging carpal tunnel issues for a few months now, and I asked him if he would be willing to help me with a couple of 802s that I have had sitting (since I am completely unable to work on machines at the present time). He has been putting some serious overtime in for me, going way up and above to make them 'right' in all regards.

Ray, you are a class act. I am grateful to have you in my 'circle'.

loosegravel

I want to give Ray my utmost thanks. I've been dealing with some challenging carpal tunnel issues for a few months now, and I asked him if he would be willing to help me with a couple of 802s that I have had sitting (since I am completely unable to work on machines at the present time). He has been putting some serious overtime in for me, going way up and above to make them 'right' in all regards.

Good morning Rich, I’ve only been a member here for a short time compared to many of you. But I’ve read many of the threads that you’ve contributed to. You’ve definitely helped countless people with your experience here. Thanks!

Ray70

Glad I could help you out in a time of need. This machine sure has had it's share of hidden secrets, the governor spring being only one of them!
Can't wait to see what surprises Gen#2 holds for me!
Did you really need help with them, or is this all a secret test?? ;)

dav5

LTD I had the same thing a few years ago. It is a common problem in my profession. I tried all the non surgical stuff with no improvement
I finally gave in and had endoscopic surgery on both hands. Just 2 small incisions per hand. The relief was immediate.

Horizons

Hi..... I have purchased a military generator that has a yanmar engine. mep 804b Engine model 4tNV84T-DFM from 2009. The manual states to use lubricating oil MIL-L-2104C Oe hd-30. I was wondering what kind of conventional oil would be ideal to replace this? Thx

loosegravel

Hi..... I have purchased a military generator that has a yanmar engine. mep 804b Engine model 4tNV84T-DFM from 2009. The manual states to use lubricating oil MIL-L-2104C Oe hd-30. I was wondering what kind of conventional oil would be ideal to replace this? Thx
I think the general consensus here will be Delo 400 15/40. Although, if your outside temperature is down near 0 degrees you may want something thinner.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks