• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just won a bid on 2 M105A2 trailers

maxxplanck

I just won a bid through GL on 2 M105A2 trailers out of Lansing, MI. I new to the M105A2 trailer any advice for when I go to pick them up or what to check or look for. Round trip to pick them up is only 70 miles, not bad. Intstead of my deuce to get them I thought of my full size pick-up just to make things simple. Besides a pintal hitch anything elese I need ? Thank Guys Rich

twa@ezdn.net

I got a call informing me I can go pick up my trailer (3 months to the day). They said they would go and look at the trailer to see if it was still up off the rims but to bring a air tank and tools. I plan to pick mine up with my M1009, but will take bulbs magnetic light kit and tools.

85' M1009
M101A1

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lights
Lug wrench
jack

Be prepared to take the cover off. Also the tongue on the M105s are a Deuce level, not pickup or CUCV level. They will be nose down.

Also with the weight they will pust the truck around, since they only have air brakes.

Here are some good reads:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/58949-fort-sill-m105a2-recovery.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/41448-towing-m105-trailer.html?highlight=m105a2

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/59560-added-12-volt-lights-my-m105.html

Last edited:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just won a bid through GL on 2 M105A2 trailers out of Lansing, MI. I new to the M105A2 trailer any advice for when I go to pick them up or what to check or look for. Round trip to pick them up is only 70 miles, not bad. Intstead of my deuce to get them I thought of my full size pick-up just to make things simple. Besides a pintal hitch anything elese I need ? Thank Guys Rich

What did those M105s go for?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rich, congratulations on the trailers. Beautiful dog in your avatar. I have two German Shepherds myself.

citizensoldier

Just make sure the lug nuts are tight, tires inflated, and parking brakes are off and loose.(maybe grab the spare off your deuce) If your using a CUCV I would flip the pintle hitch but sometime they can be stubborn. You will need a strong buddy to let it onto a cucv they sit lower than what the lading leg will go. (Don't plan for much help in Lansing) If he offers to grab it with the loader decline or you will end up with a bent tong, broken brake lines and more fork dents. Change the bulbs in the lights to 12volt, plug it in and roll on. WARNING If the roads are not so good it could be disastrous with a M1009.. Should not be a problem getting it going but stopping it could be a butt clincher.
Oh.. I would take the cover off and side rack down also. A dead blow hammer works great for this and will not wreck your corners if they are rusted on. [thumbzup]

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any special paper work that we need to take with us to register and plate one of those trailers?
I take the GL invoice, a photo of the trailer, and photos of the data plates. Never had an issue.

Memphisdoug

Trailer Pickup

I was a winner of one of the 105 trailers in Lansing also. I plan to go pick it up tomorrow. Joe seems to be there on Thursdays most of the time. I've picked up a few trailers in Lansing and have always had good luck. I bring a set of magnetic lights with me for lighting on the way home. I pick them up with a 3/4 ton pickup with the pintle set as high as I can. The trailer will still ride nose down.

All of the trailers in Lansing have already been moved around with a forklift. In most cases, they will go get your trailer with the forklift because it is buried behind others that need to be moved to get to it. Joe normally sets it right down on my pintle hitch with the forklift so no heavy lifting is required. I do bring a small floor jack with me and some blocks of wood just in case. I guess I have been lucky and haven't experienced any forklift damage so far. I've bought 7 trailers between Lansing and Selfridge.

Of course, 2 trailers will require 2 trips for you. I did bring 2 ammo trailers home at the same time once - one towed behind the other.

Good luck with your recovery. Everything should go fine.

RealCavDog

First Post ! Just a few photos showing recovery of a 295+ mile recovery of my M105A2 from Ft. Riley, Ks. to Joplin, Mo.. Followed all prior posted inspection advice, checked air in the NEW tires, admired the NEW CARC paint, de-tarped and mounted and zip tied the magnetic lights, drove around Post to check bearings (and every hour or so after 65 /70miles an hour), got pulled over after leaving gate due to NEW CONDITION and unit markings ! FUN !

Attachments

91W350

Nice looking tow vehicle too! Those 105s sure work over a pickup or Blazer. Glad you made it home without your receiver hitch pin breaking. The whole works would be free to slide out and go cause mass destruction. I had one break on I-135 once, the trailer was chained to my hitch, thankfully, but it was still dancing like crazy on the safety chains. When I got it centered behind the truck, I set the brakes and suffered the bed side damage. I was just thankful it was still hitched to my vehicle and not crossing the median. Glen

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, towed mine home today. Rode real nice behind the CUCV, had to keep looking behind me to see if it was still there!
Met maxxplanck and ODdave there, I guess is missed Memphisdoug.
I was pleasantly surprised to find a nice new cover folded up inside the bed beneath the snow. That made the deal ever sweeter!

Attachments

RealCavDog

Nice looking tow vehicle too! Those 105s sure work over a pickup or Blazer. Glad you made it home without your receiver hitch pin breaking. The whole works would be free to slide out and go cause mass destruction. I had one break on I-135 once, the trailer was chained to my hitch, thankfully, but it was still dancing like crazy on the safety chains. When I got it centered behind the truck, I set the brakes and suffered the bed side damage. I was just thankful it was still hitched to my vehicle and not crossing the median. Glen
NO DOUBT ! Used a forged style pin and checked it every chance ! Figured my choice of combo pintle with the 2 5/16 ball would close up any slack ! The 6.0 liter and all wheel drive helped out even on a 10 year old truck, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't on edge most of the trip, especially through the triangle at Grandview at 16:00 hrs ! Had a bed full of tools, jacks, airtanks, grease, ducttape/zipties and HD ratchet straps and chains . . . none of which I needed ! Better prepared than stuck in the beautiful Kansas countryside !

Next big project is 3 M101A2's at OKC in a week or so. Considered the flip and stack, but thinking the 18 footer triple-haul and git er down in one run !

And thanks all you guys for letting me piggyback on top of the original post !