• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just won an auction for my first HMMWV, the wait begins

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know much about these miltary batteries. If mine has the original batteries from the 2009 refurb (which I assume it does), is there any chance they are usable? I know normal batteries can last that long if they are maintained, but not more than a few years if left to drain (unless they are lithium or something super high end). I'm use AGM on watercraft and they last a long time, but I don't think they'd survive 10+ years without a charge.
There's no harm in trying. Put them on a charger one at a time and see what happens.

If the charger can't "see" them, jumper one to one good battery and connect the good battery to the charger and try again. Repeat as necessary and you may resurrect a $500 battery.

I have 2011 date code Hawkers in my hmmwv. It was the only vehicle I had that started at -17 and it started the rest of them...

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hawker batteries are the first choice if money is no object or if you need that kind of performance. But any two batteries are adequate to run a hmmwv unless you have a bunch of radio equipment.
I would have been happy with the ones I have but they are too short and hold down is into the wiring and I would need to stick something in between to get enough threads to hold it down and they don’t fit the tray so something really needs to be put in the bottom. I didn’t want to do that. I was able to order from the manufacturer and that saved a lot. They don’t get made and shipped until November 22 so I will have rig something up while I wait.

Action

I would have been happy with the ones I have but they are too short and hold down is into the wiring and I would need to stick something in between to get enough threads to hold it down and they don’t fit the tray so something really needs to be put in the bottom. I didn’t want to do that. I was able to order from the manufacturer and that saved a lot. They don’t get made and shipped until November 22 so I will have rig something up while I wait.
Or buy the spacers that are made to hold smaller batteries and give the proper lift and footprint.....
usually used with optima batteries

1631851334350.png

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or buy the spacers that are made to hold smaller batteries and give the proper lift and footprint.....
usually used with optima batteries

View attachment 845460
That’s so perfect! See here’s the thing. I just don’t have the knowledge that others have, yet. Action you really have an answer for everything and good answers to solve problems. How in the hell do you find this stuff? Amazing.

INFChief

I ended up with the winning bid on a basic 2 door with no top. 2009 barstow rebuild. It's got a few known issues (heater not working, missing wipers, possible leak on transfer case). Hopefully nothing major. My plan is to go soft top and soft doors, probably 4 door. Link below. If anyone with a good eye and knowlege wants to do a quick review and point out possible issues, I'd appreciate any feedback. You won't hurt my feelings and I'm mentally ready for some repairs buying something like this sight unseen.

Thanks to the many forum members and Steve at retired war horses for dealing with all my questions the last few days. I probably should have gotten a little more educated before jumping in, but hopefully it was a good jump. Time will tell.

View attachment 845238
That looks nice. Never heard of a Barstow rebuild. If it came from Ft. Irwin (NTC) you might temper yourself for grave disappointment. The maintenance guys (civilians) who maintain and repair the equipment for units rotating through for training evaluation notoriously SUCK at doing even the simplest routine maintenance let alone any “repairs”. I’m hoping the Barstow rebuild has nothing to do with NTC draw equipment.

Warhammer1

I ended up with the winning bid on a basic 2 door with no top. 2009 barstow rebuild. It's got a few known issues (heater not working, missing wipers, possible leak on transfer case). Hopefully nothing major. My plan is to go soft top and soft doors, probably 4 door. Link below. If anyone with a good eye and knowlege wants to do a quick review and point out possible issues, I'd appreciate any feedback. You won't hurt my feelings and I'm mentally ready for some repairs buying something like this sight unseen.

Thanks to the many forum members and Steve at retired war horses for dealing with all my questions the last few days. I probably should have gotten a little more educated before jumping in, but hopefully it was a good jump. Time will tell.

View attachment 845238
Nice unit blutow, I didn't see anything glaring that caught my eye. You will have alot of fun

greatjay

That’s a nice truck and the price is great. I just won a m1165 and my price kinda sucked but I wanted it so I’m still happy. In fairness I knew mine would be high, it was in great shape, came with all 4 hard doors and roof. It doesn’t need much just an odometer, doghouse, mirror, has a small oil leak and a little play in steering.

blutow

That’s a nice truck and the price is great. I just won a m1165 and my price kinda sucked but I wanted it so I’m still happy. In fairness I knew mine would be high, it was in great shape, came with all 4 hard doors and roof. It doesn’t need much just an odometer, doghouse, mirror, has a small oil leak and a little play in steering.
Thanks and congrats on the 1165. Unless you are flipping these things as a business, the purchase price isn't that relevent in the grand scheme of things if you get what you want. This is my first hmvee and I figured it's a good starter and I can always upgrade later if I really dig it. Good luck with yours.

greatjay

Thanks and congrats on the 1165. Unless you are flipping these things as a business, the purchase price isn't that relevent in the grand scheme of things if you get what you want. This is my first hmvee and I figured it's a good starter and I can always upgrade later if I really dig it. Good luck with yours.
that’s a good point and how I look at it too. That’s the truck I wanted. 4 door, bed, more power. And that’s the condition I wanted too. It’s basically exactly what I wanted. And it’s something I will keep for a long long time. As long as it runs or can be fixed

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
that’s a good point and how I look at it too. That’s the truck I wanted. 4 door, bed, more power. And that’s the condition I wanted too. It’s basically exactly what I wanted. And it’s something I will keep for a long long time. As long as it runs or can be fixed
Waiting on the EUC, SF-97, Title, bah bah bah Is the time to get familiar with the TM's, lube orders, operator manual. Seeing ten pictures on GP is going to be like seeing two hundred in person. There is no user manual in the glove box. To shorten the wait... study up and let the questions roll. 🤪

OUCH... That really hurt, CAMO

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Those TM's that we keep preaching on will make you smarter. You will learn the names of some of the parts that will need your attention - and make it easier for you to get help too. Plan on going to sleep the first time you try and sit down and read the first twenty or so pages. Nobody ever said the authors were entertainers FOR SURE.

The -10 (file name ends with a dash ten) is the owners manual. The stuff like how to crank the thing correctly. How the glow plugs work and why. How to put the thing in gear and how to deal with rough terrain. Things you need to know. Time spent reading will help keep you from breaking expensive parts. How to change the oil, how much and where to put the stuff.

Oil, Grease, and your time spent reading the books are much cheaper than parts!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rarely do the batteries that come with the truck are in shape to left in them, it’s the first item to get replaced in my shop.
most have no batteries , the GP folks just use a jump box to start the truck most of the listings state “truck started and ran, would not restart with jump”
The stand battery is the 6TL, available from Napa or interstate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks