• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just won Hyster E40XL-MIL on GL

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So this was one of those "condition H" deals (determined unserviceable). Hour meter shows only 742 hours, but my guess is that it is likely more like 10,742 hours being a 1991 model.

Key is missing, non running. But hey, at over 10,000 lbs, worst case, I should be able to sell it for scrap and recoup what I paid.

Here are some pics of this beauty. What I like about it compared to the models I saw on eBay is that the metal is straight.

hyster-1.jpghyster-2.jpghyster-3.jpghyster-4.jpghyster-5.jpghyster-6.jpghyster-7.jpg

Anyone have any experience working on these?

My fist challenge will be how to get it off my trailer once I get home. 10,000 is way more than I can lift with my tractor front loader...

PowerstrokeNC

Now you need a crane or wrecker to lift the things you buy at GL off the trailer :) I used a rollback to offload my forklift which was 6500# and it made the rollbacks front wheels come off the ground when they unloaded it...

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having picked up an H40XL from the gooberment it only has 1055 hours so the hours are possibly correct. Do check the monotrol system for water contamination otherwise best of luck with it!

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
We got one like it years ago used a pulse unit to get the battery back then spent another $500 for the charger, still running today. Just don't ever get off hard surface!

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With no battery it will weigh considerably less.
Good point. I can lift that out with my John Deere and it will "only" be ~7000 lbs. :D

My tractor will lift maybe 4500 lbs, but not 7000 lbs...

saablift.jpg

Is there a "neutral" on the transmission so that I can roll it off the trailer?

I suppose I can "force" it off the trailer by dragging it off the trailer, or take the thing apart on the trailer, and re-assemble in the shop. :D

Last edited:

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now you need a crane or wrecker to lift the things you buy at GL off the trailer :) I used a rollback to offload my forklift which was 6500# and it made the rollbacks front wheels come off the ground when they unloaded it...
Wow, yeah, will definitely take some ingenuity to get it unloaded!

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We got one like it years ago used a pulse unit to get the battery back then spent another $500 for the charger, still running today. Just don't ever get off hard surface!
Can I take the battery pack to a place with a "pulse unit" to get the battery going? Like a fork lift shop or something? When I go to MD to pick this up, I'm actually picking up some more MEP-802A's from another guy and he thinks he has a Hyster key and charger that he will throw in, so that could be a sweet deal!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes you can't bring the battery back. In that case it's probably a parts machine or scrap because those batteries cost a fortune. If you need a charger I think I've got one (depending on voltage).

If you decide to scrap I think the battery will bring close to $400 in scrap so you need to make sure you don't just let it go with the rest of it.

If you do get it going, remember it will only operate on pavement, concrete, or very hard packed gravel.

Isaac-1

I have bought a several electric fork lifts as well as batteries over the year, that it likely going to be a 36 volt or maybe 48 volt battery, if it holds any charge (enough to drive the fork lift for a 5-10 minute demonstration), and there are no major problems, drives, lift goes up and down and no major leaks particularly from the ram itself you then you can probably sell it for something in the $1,500+ range. Used batteries that still hold 70% of rated charge are often available in $1,000 - $1,500 range depending on exact size, etc. The battery alone likely weighs around 3,000 - 3,300 pounds, they are usually a fairly snug fit so you will need to be careful trying to lift it out with a front end loader. As to lifting the fork lift itself with a tractor I would not suggest trying it, that is what a 6000 series John Deere of some type, as the lift point is going to be fairly high for the front end loader. Now if you could get a second similar tractor and have one on each side of the trailer, barely lift the fork lift (after removing the battery), drive the trailer out from under it and slowly lower together it may be worth a try. Alternatively if you don't want all that headache, pay a guy with a roll back wrecker $50-$75 to transfer it from your trailer to the ground.

p.s. don't do something stupid like try to lift the battery with a chain, there are plenty of live connection points on top of all those battery cells, and the potential for lots of amps to be in there.

As to the key, any $10 generic ignition switch from an auto parts place will work, they just don't connect a couple of the terminals making it in effect a basic on/off switch. Depending on model it will be 2 or 3 instead of the usual 4 (nothing goes to the start position)

As to fork lift shops, they tend to charge insane service charge rates, you might be better off trying to find someone with an appropriate size charger that owns a fork lift and see if you can plug it in for a few hours.

Last edited:

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. Appreciate all the excellent advice! Roll back wrecker might be the way to go. That way he can slide it off just inside one of my shop doors.

When I go up to get the Hyster, I'm picking up some generators from a guy close to Fort Meade that says he may have a key for it and a battery charger that he'll throw in. If true, that will be great. From the pictures, it looks like the battery pack was swapped out at some point along the way. Fingers crossed it will have some life left in it.

I probably overpaid a little at $1330, but maybe not if I can get it running and the hours are true. I was bidding based on seeing non-working units on eBay for asking prices of $5k. I should have looked at the sold prices, which are closer to the $1500 or so like you guys mentioned.

Last edited:

61sleepercab

I would not put much stock in the condition code as a indicator of true machine condition. My M925 was red tagged for peeling paint on radiator ends and need for end gaskets that have never leaked. 47000 miles and new tires all around. They write something to get rid of the old to get the new and improved. Mark

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Mark. Good to know. I thought that maybe GL inspects each lot and assigns the condition code based on their findings. Didn't realize the code was assigned in the field.

Isaac-1

I have bought two forklifts from gl both missing batteries. Paid $850 for a 2000 pound capacity
Walk behind only problem was needed Needed batteries and a broken fuse holder the other o. A nly had 83 hours on it but had a lift controller issue it was a man up picker lift

Hoefler

I picked up a stand up Hyster from Sparta a year ago. Batteries where to low to get it to go. I filled the batteries with water (36 volt) took a 24 volt pulse charger (Northern Tool) and let it charge for a day. Batteries came back good enough to run it in a non industrial-commercial mode. Had the truck serviced-she has 340 hours on her. The main ram started to leak after a bit of running. The service tech told me that it was indeed a 300 hour machine. Only issue is the hoses-they may be dry rot from the inside. Outside of that, it represents great value for what I intend to use it for.
Pete

Attachments

STLvortac

I'm not qualified in the forklift area. However if the battery pack is indeed dead could you not buy six marine deep cycle batteries and wire them in a series parallel configuration to obtain 36 volts? I know the charge would not last as long but I figure most here just want to complete one task, not run an entire warehouse.

Josh

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks