• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just won M923A2 from GL, now what?

brock

I am trying to find out how to get a bill of sale from GL. I live in CA and was told I had to have a BOS in order to register.

Is there a link on the site to get a BOS?

Regarding the SF97, must I wait til I pick up the truck to submit it?

Really excited to get one of these trucks!! Thank for all the info.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to pickup the truck first then send in for the SF-97.
A Bill of Sale will come with the SF-97.

MtnSnow

First off congrats on getting truck....Post up a pic & or link to your purchase...

Once you recieve the "Paid In Full" invoice from GL. You can go pickup your truck. Depending on location & condition of the truck you purchased from you might be able to drive it home once you have a trip permit & insurance. Or you might need it towed or hauled.

Once home you can verify your serial numbers and file for the SF-97 (along with paying the 60 bucks to them for it) and wait usually about 3 to 4 weeks to get the paperwork in the mail.

brock

Thanks! I really appreciate the info.

Im beside myself with joy that I won a truck. I pick it up Friday 5/23 from Fontana. As I live in Orange, CA. Ill be driving it home. Ill post a pic once I get it all clean.

Thanks again.

Vandrel

Just as a note, I got the paperwork for my truck from GL within 1 week after picking it up and requesting the SF97/title online. Still have to send a few signed copies back.

I took the paid in full invoice to the DMV here in FL and they accepted that as a bill of sale for me to get temp plates until the title is done by GL.

5tonman1971

Just a bit of advice,

buy fuel filters and replace them before you drive the truck off the lot, second buy batteries, third bring a credit card with a high limit Becuase there's a very good chance your going to wind up on the side of the road. If any of the tires have been flat be very careful till they warm up.

Unhook your ctis if it has it even if it's working unhook it till you get home. I would also buy bulbs for the blinkers and tail lights. Bring plenty of tools. Also bring about 3 gallons of oil, 3 gallons of 30wt or dexron III, bring a gallon or two of 80-90w gear oil, and 2 or 3 5 gallon fuel cans. If the trucks starts and runs take it to a big parking lot and get familiar with the way the truck handles and the way the brakes work. I would also bring some brake clean and pb blaster so you can clean and free up your air dryer Becuase there's a good chance the relief valve will be stuck open.

Its ys always a good idea to just have the truck shipped home.

Vandrel

Just a bit of advice,

buy fuel filters and replace them before you drive the truck off the lot, second buy batteries, third bring a credit card with a high limit Becuase there's a very good chance your going to wind up on the side of the road. If any of the tires have been flat be very careful till they warm up.

Unhook your ctis if it has it even if it's working unhook it till you get home. I would also buy bulbs for the blinkers and tail lights. Bring plenty of tools. Also bring about 3 gallons of oil, 3 gallons of 30wt or dexron III, bring a gallon or two of 80-90w gear oil, and 2 or 3 5 gallon fuel cans. If the trucks starts and runs take it to a big parking lot and get familiar with the way the truck handles and the way the brakes work. I would also bring some brake clean and pb blaster so you can clean and free up your air dryer Becuase there's a good chance the relief valve will be stuck open.

Good advice. I had a blowout on the trip back with my truck, very unpleasant experience. :)

leo4x4

welcome to the club
1 make an appointment to pick up the truck 909-623-7157
2 make sure to take fluids with you, and an air chuck also some tools just in case
3 when you get your truck go on GL and request an sf 97 form
4 when you have the form you will need to get a vin verification by the CHP that is after you have gone to the dmv and paid your fees
5 make sure you have at least a B license Chp will not let you leave the parking lot without it
6 when your don with all theses enjoy the truck they are awesome
we do a lot of trip locally im a part of a group of about 8 guys with trucks and hmmwv's
if you have questions PM me .

Congrats on the truck

brock

I have made an appointment to pick up the truck.

I will be taking my Class-B CDL written test prior to picking up the truck and picking up a moving permit.

The truck is now insured.

I am taking tools to swap the flat tire with a known good tire. Also, a gas powered compressor, a gladhand, 10 gallons of fresh Diesel, 5 gallons of motor oil and 5 gallons of gear oil.

As the yard is less than 40 miles from my house, Im hoping to minimize any surprises.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Thanks.

brock

Just a bit of advice,

With regards to the filters, when they are replaced there will now be a substantial amount of air in the fuel system. Is there a proceedure that must be performed to purge the air? Or, will the injection pump work itself out?

Thanks for the advice.

leo4x4

Good luck changing the tire
U will need a 1" impact gun. And a serious compressor. The lug nuts are secured with 450ft lb of torque.
I would just full the tire with pressure and ho to a tire $100 or so. Will be the best money you ever spend

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just show up, They will have it fully serviced, fueled and ready to go for you. Jump in and drive it home. And do you want to buy a bridge? I have one for sale. :mrgreen:

All kidding aside, welcome to the site. The M939 series trucks are big and can kill someone if not operated properly. Make sure you at least review the -10 Operators manual to find out how the basic operations of the truck work.

brock

Just show up, They will have it fully serviced, fueled and ready to go for you. Jump in and drive it home. And do you want to buy a bridge? I have one for sale. :mrgreen:

All kidding aside, welcome to the site. The M939 series trucks are big and can kill someone if not operated properly. Make sure you at least review the -10 Operators manual to find out how the basic operations of the truck work.
If only, right?!

I have been poring over the TM's and Operators manuals for weeks now. I even sourced a local truck to cut my teeth on. Im confident I can get this thing home without ending up on the nightly news.

davo727

Left side of truck lug nuts are left hand thread. Need a 1.5 inch lug socket and at least 4 foot long breaker bar and a 1 1/8 socket also required for wheel removal off the truck. If you are going to use the spare that is up on the truck it helps to have a small $50 chain hoist from harbor freight to get the old one back up there. Gravity will get the 450 pound tire down no problem and smash you if youre in the way :)

TexAndy

With regards to the filters, when they are replaced there will now be a substantial amount of air in the fuel system. Is there a proceedure that must be performed to purge the air? Or, will the injection pump work itself out?

Thanks for the advice.
Driver's side of engine, near the front, is a line going to a nut on the side. loosen the nut on it.

Same side of the engine near the rear, kind of low and angled up (stand on the tire to reach it) is a rubber button. That is the manual priming pump. Pump it until fuel squirts out around the nut you previously loosened, then tighten the nut. Can take anywhere from 30 to 100 pumps to prime.

You might also have to prime the individual injector lines as well. Once you get the first couple of lines primed, however, the engine should run (rough) and you can have your co-driver stop cranking on the starter while you bleed the rest of the injectors.

TM will have instructions on how to do all this,.

Other thing to look out for is to make sure the fuel shutoff solenoid isn't stuck in the shut off position. It's just a lever that rotates. If it is stuck on the shutoff position, just rotate it by hand the other way. In normal operation, the fuel shutoff plunger will activate when it loses power (when you turn the battery or run switch to off), cutting off fuel to the injection pump. However, it also has a cable attached to it that goes to the "emergency shutoff" handle in the cab. Pull to shut off just like you would in a deuce or an 800 series 5 ton.

I'd take a couple of pails of 15w45 HD/Diesel motor oil. Either for the transmission or for the engine. Take a few gallons of gear oil too, for the transfer case and axles.

I wish I'd known what I know now when I got my 923A2. I got a really good auction price on mine, but I just had it hauled instead of trying to drive it home. Turned out all the transmission needed was 4 gallons of oil. Could have saved a bit of coin having more knowledge.

Last edited:

leo4x4

I would just check the fluids top off if nessary. And drive home that what I did with my truck. hot it from fontana also. Last year.
When you get home
Do not drive it until ypu go trough the whole truck fluids and all.
Since you had mention you're only 40 mils away I would drive if anymore haul it.

brock

Driver's side of engine, near the front, is a line going to a nut on the side. loosen the nut on it.

Same side of the engine near the rear, kind of low and angled up (stand on the tire to reach it) is a rubber button. That is the manual priming pump. Pump it until fuel squirts out around the nut you previously loosened, then tighten the nut. Can take anywhere from 30 to 100 pumps to prime.

You might also have to prime the individual injector lines as well. Once you get the first couple of lines primed, however, the engine should run (rough) and you can have your co-driver stop cranking on the starter while you bleed the rest of the injectors.

TM will have instructions on how to do all this,.

Other thing to look out for is to make sure the fuel shutoff solenoid isn't stuck in the shut off position. It's just a lever that rotates. If it is stuck on the shutoff position, just rotate it by hand the other way. In normal operation, the fuel shutoff plunger will activate when it loses power (when you turn the battery or run switch to off), cutting off fuel to the injection pump. However, it also has a cable attached to it that goes to the "emergency shutoff" handle in the cab. Pull to shut off just like you would in a deuce or an 800 series 5 ton.

I'd take a couple of pails of 15w45 HD/Diesel motor oil. Either for the transmission or for the engine. Take a few gallons of gear oil too, for the transfer case and axles.

I wish I'd known what I know now when I got my 923A2. I got a really good auction price on mine, but I just had it hauled instead of trying to drive it home. Turned out all the transmission needed was 4 gallons of oil. Could have saved a bit of coin having more knowledge.
Thank you for the info!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks