• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just won my first MV! A 1990 M923A2 from Fort Hood. -Have a few general questions.

davo727

Thanks, truck looks good. A few of the guys have told me they don't trust those XL tires as far as they can throw them. Im also new to this game but If it was mine that I was going to drive, I would try and put a pair of Goodyear or the Michelin XZL tires on the front end at least.

reset2

I'm also new to the 5 tons. Recently scored 2 at GL with my two sons. Does anyone know what the max (or safe) speed of the 3 different tires are. I would prefer not to loose all my air at once in any tire while driving. Has anyone experienced a blowout? Does it give any warning (sound or bounce)?

2nDefense

I'm also new to the 5 tons. Recently scored 2 at GL with my two sons. Does anyone know what the max (or safe) speed of the 3 different tires are. I would prefer not to loose all my air at once in any tire while driving. Has anyone experienced a blowout? Does it give any warning (sound or bounce)?
I would check the front tires. If they have cracks or wavy sidewalls I wouldn't take it over 55 if that. I pushed 65 a couple times just to see what it would do but the majority of the time I was running 50-55 with good but wavy tires. If they are cracked or badly wavy I wouldn't do over 45-50. I can tell you based on the maintenance date and the date my truck was parked, there were only 2-3 months before a brand new tire blew out.

Last edited:

whiskey357

Banned
Like what has been posted......Be SURE TO HAVE THE WRECKER NUMBER.....again ....check and full all fluids that you can get to ....check under the truck and above it....having someone to help is a great one to have....(wife helped last time and laughed her A$% off when she said I told you so ...heheh hard to take that one....I go to wal-mart and get the 750cca min and size 31 for it....Get a anti-freeze checker for the water system 5 bucks at the wal-mart....Ya I live there...heheh I found that some spray WD-40 comes in handle also...best luck on your new truck...

5tonman1971

Your fuel priming issue is common replace all fuel filters there's one on the block and you may have one on your frame rail in the left front wheel well.

Then you can crack the fuel line that feeds the IP and start hand priming till you get fuel up to that line this is the long way.

I made a fitting the attaches to the fuel line that goes from frame rail to IP and then make a tube and funnel on the other end essentially making a "beer bong" or I like to call it a "fuel bong" to get the fuel in the engine and lines and block filter this way you can crank the truck and run it off a 5 gallon can till the engine is primed then shut it down fill your primary tank with fresh fuel and then crank the truck and hold the pedal to the floor to make sure it stays running threw the big air gap that will be in the lines from the tank but it will cough and hopefully not die and the clear up and will be ready to go. But if it does die it will be much easier to get it started back up.

Mudrunner923

I had the same priming and low power issue.. One day it wouldn't start and after hours of priming, it turned out to be a cracked fuel line. aua I replaced the fuel line and replaced the giant black fuel filter canister behind the driver side wheel with a Racor spin-on. Made a HUGE difference in power! After taking the old filter off, I saw that it had valve that you could hook an air compressor to on the top to prime it.. I tried it while it was off the truck (not knowing what it was at the time) and it seemed to work as it shot the fuel that was in it on the floor and made a big mess.

chandler

Do you guys have a list of what fluids need to bring to top off? Seriously have the deuce fever and bidding on a 5 ton. I thought if I could get all the supplies put together then if and when I bid can be ready for a pickup. I'm in AZ and would want to go to Utah if possible.

mcmullag

Fluids; 15w-40 oil for the engine. 90 wt oil should work for the axles and transfer case. The five I have been around had/have 10 weight oil in the Allison transmission. I believe the -10 TM has all the info about fluids. I think there is a sticky around here too about stuff to bring for picking up a vehicle. I brought extra light assemblies too and that helped as a tail light bulb was out on one and I just pulled the needed bulb out off the rear light assembly I had brought along.

wilkusmcrecon

I was kinda expecting that. I'll go get the Class B on monday-tuesday
Class B depends on what state your in. AK requires no CDL, no Class B, no stops, no logs, you pay based on weight and drive on. Still pricey when you consider you paying for total weight you will never carry. Good luck just drove mine M923A2 home in May 3475 miles. You will spend time keeping people from climbing all over it.

Mine was more together, assume the worst be safe.

Chris W

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks