• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Justification Help

59apache

Chipmaker
buy a car/truck with the money in your hand. Nothing is as bad as broke down car for that you pay monthly. Buy a cheap, reliable car for dd and IF you have the money AND space for a deuce, buy one. Space is very important. A place to turn wrenches, leave the vehicle disassembled, secure place for your tools and stuff.

I've read a lot of problems with trucks in residental? areas....do you have the permission to park the truck? Overnight? At your home? Your parents? GF?

Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner, that is basically what i would be going for if i was going to get a deuce. Now the practicality of it isnt all there, but how often do you drive that thing?
I don't drive it as much as I should. I have 12 to 14 cars/trucks and motorcycles that I jump back and forth in. No order, rhyme or reason, just what I get in that day. So individually, not a ton of miles on any particular vehicle. The Deuce could get driven ten times in a month, or not at all for six months. It's fun to drive, just the luck of the draw with it.

425LRS

I just got my first privately owned MV last week- an M35A3 from ProPower (excellent truck I might add) - and am really loving it ( hauled 2 pizzas, ice cream, and a General Tsao's chicken so far). Originally wanted to end up with a bobbed deuce (and still may someday) but this one is in such great shape, I wouldn't have the heart to cut it up. I would second having the two vehicles, as I'd expect that using a deuce as a daily driver is going to get you stuck without wheels more often then a civilian vehicle would, as you can go to any autoparts store and (generally) immediately get the part you need to get back on the road. I don't think I'd have bought one when I was in school, but $$ were definitely scarce. I'd read the true costs post to get into it with eyes wide open ( I only skimmed it- first "oh- that's more than I thought.." was the license plates cost ~3X more than my F350, insurance was about the same.)

Good Luck

bigginstactical

First off no offense intended but you're young and dumb (as am I at 24). Once you get over the excitement, the reality of what you bought and how much work they need sets in. A deuce is a toy regardless of what anyone says. They are not meant to be a daily driver although some do drive them quite often. If this is your only rig what happens when a part breaks? For most things you can't go to NAPA and buy to fix... Now your out of a vehicle. They are awesome trust me! I own one! You need a good rig first and have a deuce second. You can easily get a newer duramax with all the goodies for 25k and will have a way better vehicle. Even if you spent 15 on a nice diesel rig with 100K (which is nothing for a diesel) and bought a deuce with the rest you are way better off. I would not consider a deuce as my primary vehicle. Maybe a CUCV? I know you can buy almost everything for those at a part store. Whatever you do i wish you the best of luck but by all means buy a decent pick up and a deuce that way you will join the young and not quite so dumb club haha! :)

WhatTheDeuce

Very eye opening reading through everybodys posts, and trust me ill be the first to admidt that im young and dumb! That goes without saying! what sane minded person would want such an impracticle vehicle! But i do see "THE LIGHT!" everybody's point as to not have a deuce as my DD.
Now my question is going to shift a bit! quick learner eh?!
which deuce model would you owners recommend to a person like me? who wants to be able to drive it some days to work and "go big" with lift and tires.
Ps, i love the sound of a turbo and from what ive read so far that means i want the W/W or Whistler C turbo model if im correct?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is important to realize that, with a Deuce as daily driver, you need to have very, very low demands towards your means of transportation in order to stay calm and sane over a period of time.
Well said.

The OP needs to find somebody local with a deuce and hang out with them for awhile to see what they are getting into. I know people ride around all the time in vehicles without AC but it's a different ballgame when the vehicle also doesn't have any firewall insulation and lots of holes between the engine and cab. Moving isn't too bad with the windshields open but sitting still in traffic is murder.

eagle4g63

I am from the other side of the fence.......I DO drive my deuce as a daily driver........I am hopelessly lost without mine(it was down for a new motor).....and before I get flak for the motor.......it was on it's way out from day one so I knew it was going to need replaced, and that didn't stop me from putting over 30,000 miles on it before it got pulled.

I do not get how EVERYONE says it will run you in the poor house or leave you stuck every time you turn around. MY deuce has been the most dependable vehicle I have had in a long time, they are a very simple machine....yes out dated by many standard, however I believe the best things built are out dated, they come from a time when things were built with pride. Anyway enough with that rant. I run mine on almost anything I can get my hands on so it helps on the fuel cost (I hated going to the gas station for the last month I spent rebuilding a new motor). Over the last 2 and a half years I have owned my deuce, I have put over 30,000 miles on it and drove it all over the place, Wisconsin a few times, Kentucky, and into Ohio a bunch of times.....many times I was in the thing for 12-15 hours at a time, only stopping to get out the pick up something else and get back on the road.

As to the heat, I learned very fast to plug up the holes in the cab, an arctic shifter boot for the shifter and transfer case will change the temp inside considerably and it worth every penny spent. I could go on about other mods that will make it a better ride all in all, and I am with you......I have only had AC in a couple of my vehicles and I could care less one way or another about it.

Anyway, I could go on about it but I won't........you have a hard decision a head of you and if you are like me you will NOT regret getting a deuce.......they are a blast to drive.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eagle, That's fine if that's what you want to do. I take it you do have at least access to another vehicle and didn't just sit at the house while the deuce was down. You actually help prove what others are saying. If something breaks it can be awhile before you can get it back going (a month in your case).

I love my deuce and do enjoy working on it. To me it's a lot different spending my time working on my deuce because I want to and not because I have to. It just doesn't seem as fun laying under your truck at midnight trying to fix a leaking wheel cylinder so you can get to work tomorrow.

eagle4g63

Actually, No I didn't have another vehicle, however I did buy one on the fly so I could take a month to finish my truck. I went all out on the motor build, I could have done it a lot faster if I had to, but I didn't want to so I took my time and made it very nice. For the time I have had my deuce, I didn't have any other transportation, so if it broke I fixed it and went on with life, just like any other vehicle I have owned. What do you do when the truck or car you drive everyday breaks? My wife's car broke on her when she was going to lunch(at work), had to have it towed and took 2 weeks to fix, they(dealer) had to order the parts(replaced the transfer case).....so a new car isn't any different than a deuce to me.

Attachments

eagle4g63

The point I am trying to say is this......you drive what you want as a daily vehicle, if it breaks you have to fix it.....I have had many vehicles that I have had to be under late at night to get it back on the road the next day......many times that same "easy" to own truck that you can walk into "any" parts store and get parts have been a drive all over town and try to get parts just to be told, I can get it for you but don't have it in stock......new, old or in-between, it hasn't mattered.......telling someone to get a modern vehicle to drive every day and use the deuce only when you want to is absurd......now you have to add the expense of insuring 2 cars, plating 2 cars, parking 2 cars, and upkeep on 2 cars.....how is that saving anything? All that money can be put into WHATEVER you are driving everyday.......so enjoy it.

I have had everything from just a motorcycle to beaters....and some show vehicles....wish I had some digital pics of my show s-10 I drove everyday, most would say I was crazy, it sat 2 1/2" off the pavement, had a body kit and a estimated(and insured at) $25,000.00 paint job ( I painted it so it didn't cost me jack) but I enjoy vehicles and working on them. It was a 2002 and have to say, went to the dealer way too much for stupid stuff that was under warantee......left me without a vehicle.

At least with the deuce...everything is mechanical not electronic so anybody that has mechanical skills and can read the tm can fix it pretty easy. I have even fixed it on the road in a parking lot with nothing more than the bag of tools that I carry with me in ANY vehicle I drive....

ducer

At age 46 I finaly got a deuce! I spent 2 years lurking here and other sites reading everything I could about them. Searching reliable part supliers, tools needed and looking the trucks over in person and rode in a few (I am an exmechanic due to an accident only limited use of my right hand and arm). I got mine the guy delivered it and when I first got behind the wheel I thought W.T.F. did I just do!? I have driven all kind of different things, JD payloaders, skidsteers, tracked vehicles, drag raced, circle track raced if it was on hard land or water I did it. But nothing prepared me for a deuce!
Find some one who owns one, make Friends with them and then take it on a nice long drive on the highway and then in a busy city at rush hour traffic on a 90 degree day.:shock: It will be a real eye opener (hint they do not maneuver real well in bumper to bumper traffic and they get hot as ****). After doing those things sit down and have an honest talk with your self to see if this is the right vehicle for you. The little things that seem fun now will aggrivate you later on like getting wet in the rain or soaked to the bone with sweat or sore back and legs after a long drive plus many others. Yea they are chick magnets but they have to be a certian kind.:whistle: Little kids love them and love to climb all over them like when you take it to Wallmart and your not around.aua Mine is just a toy for me and I treat it as such and would not trade it for the world!
Good luck,
Denny

ducer

Oh, I forgot to mention the noise, the lovely, wonderful sounds they make. Forget trying to talk to that chick you just picked up because she will never hear you. Of course the up side is you will not have to listen to her either! :mrgreen: And if you have a whistler you also get to look forward to hearing loss also. Still would not trade it!

Denny

bigginstactical

That is like chevy vs. ford. Use the search function on the forums and you will find arguments for both sides. C turbo is the whistler and it is sweet! :) haha as far as the daily driver argument eagle is talking about to each his own. If you are a good machanic by all means roll in a deuce. If not then your purse strings better be long. Where i live i know of one person with a deuce. Finding someone that knows how to work on them is a long shot, minus a few vets that did in the army. I totally agree that you should try and find someone that owns one and make friends. Ride around, see if you can drive it too. That's what I did and I bought mine from the guy when he decided that he didn't want a huge truck haha. Do your homework! You are on the best place to find out info just use the search function!

Very eye opening reading through everybodys posts, and trust me ill be the first to admidt that im young and dumb! That goes without saying! what sane minded person would want such an impracticle vehicle! But i do see "THE LIGHT!" everybody's point as to not have a deuce as my DD.
Now my question is going to shift a bit! quick learner eh?!
which deuce model would you owners recommend to a person like me? who wants to be able to drive it some days to work and "go big" with lift and tires.
Ps, i love the sound of a turbo and from what ive read so far that means i want the W/W or Whistler C turbo model if im correct?

Diecorpse

I feel the same way about my truck. You can do anything you can imagine to them. If you have the money, then do it. You want to put a larger motor in it and one that has a reliable track record, then do it. I have driven mine in bumper to bumper traffic. I drove mine for nineteen hours and I loved every second of it. If you want to completely customize it, then do. You have a choice. All the members can help but ultimately it comes down to how much money your willing to put into it, how much time are you able to donate to it, and how comfortable you are with it. I do recommend getting another vehicle because at some point you will be working on your truck and you will need to go somewhere. Thats just my two cents. Oh yeah, the noise level, I love it. I keep ear muffs in my truck. At least it save me money on stereo equipment. Easier to get an ipod to listen to under your muffs. It's loud enough it seems to scare all the deer away so hittin deer on the road becomes less often if you live in deer country.

Last edited:

SteveKuhn

Here's a couple of thoughts: First, look up John Tennis (http://jatonkam35s.com/), maybe Doghead, make friends and talk (or mebbe it'll be best to just listen with open ears.) If it's a bit of a ride, it'll be worth it. Then buy a good Deuce, equipped as you want or do the add-ons, in the price range you've set for yourself, get it thoroughly road ready and use it as a DD for some extended period, at least through the change of seasons. Then make up your own mind whose advice fits you before you sell the other truck, fix it, or replace it.

Steve

palskidoo

First off no offense intended but you're young and dumb (as am I at 24). Once you get over the excitement, the reality of what you bought and how much work they need sets in. A deuce is a toy regardless of what anyone says. They are not meant to be a daily driver although some do drive them quite often. If this is your only rig what happens when a part breaks? For most things you can't go to NAPA and buy to fix... Now your out of a vehicle. They are awesome trust me! I own one! You need a good rig first and have a deuce second. You can easily get a newer duramax with all the goodies for 25k and will have a way better vehicle. Even if you spent 15 on a nice diesel rig with 100K (which is nothing for a diesel) and bought a deuce with the rest you are way better off. I would not consider a deuce as my primary vehicle. Maybe a CUCV? I know you can buy almost everything for those at a part store. Whatever you do i wish you the best of luck but by all means buy a decent pick up and a deuce that way you will join the young and not quite so dumb club haha! :)
Could not agree more, Bigginstactical! As a 23 year old engineering graduate who purchased a deuce just weeks after getting my diploma I can say the deuce is my favorite TOY. I love it tho shes big, loud, ugly, and p**ses off the neighbors! However, on a cold morning or on the way home from work when its 95 degrees my little 5 speed ranger is worth its weight in gold! The gas mileage is great and not to mention a radio is a nice accessory that would be rather difficult to manage in a deuce, not only because of the noise but also because (and I know this for a fact!) a screen door is probably more waterproof than the cab.

My last bit of 2 2cents on the matter, student loans have kicked in to pay for the little piece of paper which says I learned something in the 4.5 years of my engineering program.... and its not fun! Now add on maintenance and filling the deuce (which I have never done). As it was mentioned before, the truck can put you in the poor house quick. I AM NOT TRYING TO TURN YOU AWAY FROM THE DEUCE, if you get one you'll love it no doubt about it, just keep it a toy and not a daily driver.

TehTDK

Personally I would say go for the A2's. They are just more simple by having a manual transmission and no CTIS. Thusly "simpler" to work on and with and fewer things that can technically go wrong. And as far as I know the A2 is easier to find replacement parts for as opposed to the A3's.

W/W is with winch and a lot of deuces came with these. As to what turbo to get, well that is down to preference. I am biased towards the 465-2 engine, even if it didn't come originally with any Deuce. But I "want" as much power I can hauling the Deuce, while still retaining MF capabilites.

WhatTheDeuce

I am lucky enough to have parents that saved wisely. i will be able to come out of college with a piece of paper completely debt free. Once i graduate i am starting on a clean slate with the money i've managed to save myself. And thanks for clearing up the W/W confusion! Also i think SteveKuhn has the right idea for me to buy a deuce and drive it for a season until i decide if keeping or getting rid of my toyota is correct for me. Lastly manual transmission is an absolute must for me, i wont even consider a truck that has an automatic. Personal preference

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks