• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

K&N air filter on 6.2

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I found a credible third party test on filters. (BTW Bobistheoilguy.com is a great site for all things PM related) The AC Delco filter is 99.9% in the test below. The K&N, 96.8%. Sounds great huh? That's only 3% difference right? Now pay attention to the dirt passed. The AC Delco, 0.4g. K&N 6.0g. So that K&N let 15 times more dirt into the engine.

ISO 5011/SAE J726 test of Duramax Air Filters - Bob Is The Oil Guy

It's everyone's vehicles, do what you like. We're not talking about powerhouses when it comes to the 6.2/6.5 family of engines. So anything you do to pick up power puts you in a better place. Just wanted some of the facts on the table, not all the vendor salespitch.

DokWatson

I run the 'HD' filter with the foam ring...works great for extra protection from water splashing on the air cleaner if you do a lot of water crossings during your offroad adventures. (Flipping the air cleaner around backwards helps too.)

Taerkaster

I took my foam ring off since my rig is my daily driver, Ive noticed in my tuck a small increase in power and slight acceleration gain. I do however replace it when i take it offroading

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the K&N too here 'cause I live in the dusty high desert and stock filters would load up way too soon, even with poly-wrap foam. Why pay 12-15 buck$ for stock filters when you can go K&N for a one time $45, seems more economical. No foam on the K&N recommended. Did notice a bit more pep at start-off acceleration and engine sounds a little different too.:)

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found a credible third party test on filters. (BTW Bobistheoilguy.com is a great site for all things PM related) The AC Delco filter is 99.9% in the test below. The K&N, 96.8%. Sounds great huh? That's only 3% difference right? Now pay attention to the dirt passed. The AC Delco, 0.4g. K&N 6.0g. So that K&N let 15 times more dirt into the engine.

ISO 5011/SAE J726 test of Duramax Air Filters - Bob Is The Oil Guy

It's everyone's vehicles, do what you like. We're not talking about powerhouses when it comes to the 6.2/6.5 family of engines. So anything you do to pick up power puts you in a better place. Just wanted some of the facts on the table, not all the vendor salespitch.
Good info, have seen this study somewhere before and it was debated as to the different results in other engine types for one thing, and specifically air cleaner assemblies allowing dirt to pass for lack of a good seal top & bottom.

Myself, I noticed my AC Delco, after first filter change, did not fit well as it allowed dirt to pretty much stream in a small area under the bottom seal. It left a sandy tell-tale line. Maybe I am an extreme case in that I live in the sometimes very dusty desert where I'm going to work on totally soft-sand roads traveling 16 miles one way. Since I've changed to the K&N setup I discovered they have a filter sealing goop you apply when cleaning/installing their filter and after using it so far, no more dust/dirt seepage.

Regards,:beer: