• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kaiser vs AM General

SEAFIRE

We currently have two 1968 AM General M35A2's.
We used to have a 1967 Kaiser Jeep M35A2. The only difference I really noticed between the Kaiser and AM General were the different Emergency brake handle set-ups.....

So when did Kaiser really stop making the deuce?
Was it 1967? If it was later how could they have been made on the same line? I'm just curious.:?:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So when did Kaiser really stop making the deuce?
Was it 1967? If it was later how could they have been made on the same line? I'm just curious.:?:
I think it was around '69. They were called General Products Division (of the Jeep Corporation) after that. Then in about '71-'72 they changed to AM General. The trucks never did change where they were made the company just changed names. They are really the same truck made by the same people. They were never produced at the same time because when AM General came along it took the place of General Products Division and General Products took the place of Kaiser Jeep.

KaiserM109

Kaiser bought Jeep from Overland in '65. American Motors bought Jeep from Kaiser in '70 and began calling that division AM General. When American Motors went toes up AM General kept going right up to today. AM General builds the HMMWV with parts from several other manufacturers and also ran the Hummer plant for GM, at least until the Chinese bought it.

Things to look for are ‘Is it a turbo or not?’ (see http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/35714-turbo-non-turbo-3.html#post389161 ) and ‘What type of front axle engagement does it have?’

I am sure other guys on this web will give you more tips on what to look for. Good luck and watch out; you can't eat just 1.