• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Katrina Deuce Story - MUST READ

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am going to post this in my blog in our newspaper. I write a weekly blog and this will show the true meaning of an American Hero.
Thank you for your prior service and your continuing service.

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
going in my blog (HERO"S)

I am going to post this in my blog in our newspaper. I write a weekly blog and this will show the true meaning of an American Hero.
Thank you for your prior service and your continuing service.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think about two things every time someone mentions Katrina. My two trips down there and Sarge's story.

I read each one of these post's again this morning and I'm still saddened by Sarge's loss.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two things I got out of Katrina and this story...always keep your truck ready to go. Go where? Where ever we're asked to go or need to go 'cause local civilian leadership ain't stepping up to the plate. The other: no matter what shape you're in, you can do the job. Katrina was a defining point for alot of us, one of those "never want to go again but will at the drop of a hat". Thank you Sarge, you set the standard, we can do no less.

Kohburn

I was down there a week after the hurricane helping remove trees from peoples houses. Many greatful people down there but some voiced displeasure about us outsiders being there. Read Sarges story some time later and a year after that got on here and found myself a deuce.

My time down there was much less eventful but still had a pretty profound effect on me.

As a father of 2 boys, my heart really goes out to Sarge for his loss.

Well, I have no real words to accurately offer condolences, just tears. I have a special-neeeds boy of 4 years old, whom I'm currently waiting on to finish his **** cookie so he doesn't make me spank him! Hold-on, I'll be right back.
Alright, I'm back after giving him a serious verbal warning that if he doesn't eat that cookie in the next 5 minutes, he will be nothing more than a bloody pulp, or something close to that.
He was born 3 months premature @ 2#, 3 oz, and at 4 years old, refuses to chew his food, and talks at about the level of an 18-month-old infant, but he is very cute, and I still wouldn't trade him for the world.
We have also recently been blessed with his brother, who like the 4-year-old, says "We don't need no stiiinkiiing 9 months!", and came into this world about a week longer in gestation than his older brother, and @ 2#, 11 oz this time. He is still in the NICU at Shands Teaching Hospital in Gainesville, FL, and is doing well as can be expected.
Getting back to Sarge's boy, I think the best way to look at this, and this is a totally utilitarian way I admit, is God has some of His children sentenced to life in this prison called earth (in the bible, He calls it the pit) for a long time. This may have to do with how long of a time the person needs to be here to finish said sentence and be welcomed into the real kingdom, that place of everlasting peace and joy where sin can no longer reach us. For others, such as great achievers like Sarge's boy, the sentence is just long enough to show others what can be accomplished in a short lifetime if one sticks to it.
At least this is my take on the current situation, because for the life of me, I can't figure out any other reason why I'm still here and some really great people I've known, or about whom I've read, are no longer shackled to us.
I long to see the day when the only voice capable of piercing the ears of the dead tells the rightous ones to awake from their sleep and come out of their graves to meet Him in the air.

Jesse6325

Y'know, I am not much of a people person. Been burned one too many times as well as seen others kick sombody when they are down instead of offering a helping hand back up.
Sarge and his story honestly gives me hope for all of us. thank you.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I originally sent this story into CNN News back in October of 05. The response I got from them was " we will submit this to staff for CNN Hero's. I never did hear anything back and never expected to. This goes to show 1 man can and will make a difference.

poppop

CNN does not care about real heroes, that does not strike common peoples interest and does not improve their ratings. Ratings are what they are concerned about, not about real citizen heros who get the job done and are not concerned about the publisity.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks