• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Keep it stock or modify to suit

hwcurtice

So, because I've really not seen any true answers here, and because if I really want to, I can always get another one, is the idea to keep your surplus trailer as stock as possible or to modify it to fit your needs to make it easier for your use?

In my case, I'd really like to change the brakes out to electric. I know those lights have to go, gonna install LEDs, and when I do that, I might as well change the entire electical out while I'm working on it. Paint? Well, the outside of the box might stay those colors, but the inside needs lined and the frame is getting under coated to prevent rust. I do want this to last a long time.

If I get tired of the forest camo, I'll go in and get it painted to match my truck.

I kinda like the pintle hitch, so that will probably stay.

I did buy it to use, not for a display.

So, while I'm waiting for my SF-97 to show up... I'm going to get on the brakes and lights...

:grd:

gunboy1656

When I finally get a trailer for my deuce it will have to have some modifications to it, as it will be hauling a mule around.

So if your not going to show it, then mod away.

derf

If you're going to change the brakes anyway, you might as well get a new axle with lug pattern that matches your truck.
Start with an A1 (I assume you're doing a M101). A2s have the surge brakes which you'd have to disable.
When I modded my 101A1 (see thread elsewhere) I put the 3500lb axle above the springs to lower it. I didn't install brakes but I can add them later, as the axle has mounting points for brake brackets.

I say modify it to meet your needs. Surge brakes are good but if you don't plan to pull heavy loads then they are just more things to repair and maintain. If you switch out the axle and surge brakes (if you have an A2) you might be able to find a buyer for the conversion parts.

The handbrakes are nice, sometimes, but again, another thing to repair, lube, maintain.

My tow vehicle is a Toyota Tacoma so my plan was to lighten the trailer as much as possible and stay under 3000lbs gross trailer weight.

If you take the bolts out of the front where the frame mates to the "A" part of the trailer and install pins, then you can set the brakes, pull the pins, back up a little and dump the load. I'm told that dumping isn't a design feature but the trailers were designed to be shipped with the beds tilted.

Attachments

Last edited:

hwcurtice

Doing the tilt bad thing is one of the mods I do plan on.

I never thought of changing the axle out. Finding a straight axle with a 3rd Gen Dakota lug pattern might be difficult...

I do plan on hauling some loads with it, dirt, bark, gravel, so keeping brakes on it that work are important.

The local trailer place, if you can call 50+ miles away local, did suggest changing the surge system out for electric brakes, so that might be in the future. I'll find someplace closer to home for that...

Pinz25086

The surge brakes on my 101A2 work really well. I would think long and hard about how much it will cost to make the mod vs repairing the surge brake set up. A m101 behind a Dakota will be a tad heavy but I think that for once in a while thing you will be fine. The trailer is set up with parking brakes. All that is needed to dump is to set the park brrake, remove the bolts on the frame, and back up. It will go right over and dump. Note that these trailers were not really dump trailers and the reason the frame dips is for storage. It makes the trailers fit closer together. Lots of people use them as dumps, but that is not what it was designed for and could cause problems if you try and dump too much weight. Either way it is your to do what you like. Good luck with it. I use mine all the time!

Wayne

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks