• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

keeping warm in the winter...cheap

Crackerjax

well here is my plan for better or worse... my heater works... but not well... so here is the fix... newer core, something with more surface area....on top of that I am going to take the clean air intake and plumb it into the cab to pull in warmer air... and I am going to go shopping at the local home store and get some duct insulation (tube kind) and cover all the duct work and the heater box.. I am also going to insulate the heater core lines and the distribution box under the dash.

step two, I already have an "insulated" soft top(need/want hardtop) so I am going to get some Styrofoam sheet 1/2 inch thick and cut it to fit inside the doors. I am going to plug all the firewall holes with grommets,RTV,foam..etc and also make myself some shifter boots.

here's what I need, a winter front,some way to insulate the rest of the cab with out it looking crappy and your ideas, thoughts and comments.

thanks

Josh

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Your best and cheapest mod would be to mount the heater in the cab, under the map compartment. Then attack the holes in the floor and the firewall.

tm america

only thing i dont like about having the heater in the cab is how hot it gets in there in there summer even without having something in there making it hotter.but its a give and take

goldneagle

only thing i dont like about having the heater in the cab is how hot it gets in there in there summer even without having something in there making it hotter.but its a give and take
On my Deuce I put in a inline shutoff valve that i can operate by a choke cable. this way there is no hot water going into the heater if it's hot out. i found it on Ebay.

rlwm211

If you go to an auto parts store, ford used a cable operated heater control valve in their late 60's through about 75 or 76 pick up trucks to control the heat in the cab. I believe it is 5/8" but don't quote me.

RL

rmgill

How about a 24vdc Solenoid valve? It'd be closed unless power is sent to it. That'd be a way to keep the heater core from being warm unless you wanted it hot. You'd just need one in the circuit to turn off water flow. The advantage being it'd speed up engine warmup time since it's not going to be heating the heater core as well on cold morning startups.

WyoDeuce

My new deuce just retired from the SD national guard. It came with the heater under the glovebox. I was surprised because the GL photo didn't have the duct under the steering column so I thought there was no heat. The heater has a hi/lo switch on the dash and looks to be non standard. It also has shutoffs on the hoses in the engine compartment. It works but I can't get the engine temp up high enough to really see how well. I ordered a winter front from c&c equipment and hope this will help out. :twisted:

ctmustang

I've been driving my deuces and 5 tons here in nc for years and like last year I left out to go hunting one sat. morning in the deuce and it was 16 deg.f and after a few miles down the road i was good to go with just a sweatshirt. there's plenty of heat coming through the firewall and floorboard I didn't eeven run the heater that morning after defrosting the windows at the house.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks