• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kentucky Newbie

jsiress

Hey guys! Just signed up and love the sight!! The wife just told me she needs a new car and I should trade my charger in for her new car. I should get a beater to drive to work and spend around 5-6,000. I noticed that the M35A2 is sometimes less than that. What would I need to look for?

LanceRobson

Welcome to the asylum. When did you stop taking your meds?

You're OK with giving up the Charger?

A deuce can work as a daily driver if you don't have too far to travel and have a tolerance for it occasionally being cranky.

You need to be prepared to pull maintenance and buy parts on it's schedule, not when it's convenient or the weather is nice. You still will need another way to get to work when (not if, when) the truck is down for parts or maintenance.

Snowy roads, especially hilly ones would tend to argue for better than stock tires (chains, too) and an abundance of patience when driving.

Since you will need this truck to be ready to drive when you buy it you will likely be better off buying one from a dealer or knowledgeable private owner who has already been through the truck. Either of those options are unlikely to fit the budget.

Where you have some leeway is in the upgrades like heat, better wipers, a hardtop, muffler, locking hubs etc. In any case there is no guarantee that you will have a reliable daily driver and fit it into the $5-6K range.

Be prepared to replace all the cab weather strips and seals.

Lance

jsiress

Yeah, I'm OK with giving up the Charger. She needs a good car to drive the distance she drives. I have a 10 mile, one way, with no stop signs that is nice and flat. I know it'll be like driving a semi, but we currently don't have a truck or anything to haul stuff. Probably keep her car for daily use and use the deuce once or twice a week. I've been looking at a H1 or M998 as well and those are way too expensive and have lots of quirks.

zout

[thumbzup] - Honey - its a great way to pick up stuff - you need to give out a few lessons for those guys not having one and trying to talk their beloved into one. That is great and welcome aboard - if the charger is not OD - you don't need it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everybody needs a deuce but not for a daily driver. I think you'll grow tired of it very quick having to depend on it to get you back and forth to work every day.

I'd look for something more along the lines of a CUCV for a daily driver.

Kentucky

I just joined this week and from KY also. Seems like there are a few local members on here which is good to see. After driving my first Duece last week, there is no way i would want it as a daily driver but for the occasional use around the farm im excited to get one. Look forward to learning a lot about them!

Andrew