• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Key and tumbler/ignition switch?

1SICKMJ

Is there any reason why the key lock tumbler thing(correct name please) wont turn to start the truck? I cant even get a key in it with out some force. I have no idea what happened, they are all suppose to have the same key. Maybe the tumbler thing broke, I have to get that thing at least to free up the steering wheel so I can bring it into the shop to take the box off.

How hard is it to take the whole tumbler assembly out? Or is something else wrong?

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is not hard if you have the tools to do it with . You have to remove the steering wheel them the locking plate one bolt and remove the key assembly.
AEC retired tony
A buhch of Green things

Crash_AF

Definitely sounds like the lock cylinder failed. You can get a replacement from almost any parts store and have it rekeyed, or just have a door and ignition key like a normal truck.

To change, pull the steering wheel, then get a lock plate compressor (most parts houses rent them) and remove the lock plate. Then pull the bolt/pin holding the lock cylinder in. R/R the cylinder and reverse order for reassembly. Easy peasy...

Later,
Joe

1SICKMJ

K I should have everything to pull it, and I found a spare lock cylinder with the steering wheel puller so I dont have to pull one off a deadlined truck. Thanks

91W350

Don't forget the little ring in the column, after compressing the spring and plate, you can slide the ring up the shaft. I have seen some pretty butchered jobs from guys who were not aware of how that ring is engaged. Glen

1SICKMJ

LOL, yep thats where Im at and was just about to ask. So the lock plate compressor, thats what its for. So how do you slide the ring up the shaft, its in like a groove?

91W350

With the spring tension off the plate, you can take a thin bladed small screwdriver or a pick and work it out of the groove, it is a spring ring and is split. Once out of the groove, it slides up the shaft fairly easily.

4bogginchevys

I would try a bunch of dry gaphite sprayed in there and working it with a key, one little hunk of dirt will cause that. It is a moot point if the cylinder is completely bad though.:-D

1SICKMJ

well if I could replace the turn signal switch I would if it was my rig. I cant really justify it to my boss if I replace it when it still works and all we have here is a bunch of used ones so really no point, till it breaks. Thats kinda how it works, if they dont care about it then if it aint broke dont fix it, very unfortunate.

So Im putting it back together and reallized I kinda tweaked the ring, so I think thats done unless I can bend it back. Or maybe a c clip will work. But I'm so close to getting it into the shop!

91W350

The ring will be fine if you can hold it in place while backing off the pressure on the plate. I like to swap out the locks and cylinders so somebody with a CUCV key cannot go for a joy ride as easily.