• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Key wouldnt engage the starter

davidkroberts

Well I had an intresting problem with my M1009 this morning. Should have been easy but it was hard to track the problem down. Ive been running the electrical gremlins out of the truck since i picked it up the day before yesterday.

So the key would move and light the dash and gauges up but wouldnt engage the starter. I jumped the relay using the big red and purple wires so i knew the starter was good. I replaced the starer relay and that didnt fix it. Then i moved on to the fuses which all checked operational. I then removed the two mounting bolts that hold the steering column to the dash assembly. On top of the column is a plastic and metal piece about 6 inches long with two wiring assembly plugs going into it. Thats your ignition switch (advance auto parts #CS84 $13.29) I pulled the plugs and replaced it. That didnt fix it either. On install make sure you remount the switch with the metal rod where it can actuate the switch. Also the bright light switch for the headlights is also mounted using the same holes so make sure it goes in just like it came out.

On toward the base of the steering column where it goes into the firewall is a white plastic piece with two blue wires and a green one going into it. Thats your neutral safety switch. It is removed by simply pulling up on it and it unsnaps from the column. make sure the plastic tap is unbent and the switch moves freely. (mine was bent and was ridding on top of the shaft). When reinstalling run your finger along the top of the grove the switch sits in and feel for the cutout. Carefully replace the switch without crushing the tab and snap it back in place. Im sure you can just bypass the switch by splicing the wires but fixing it correctly takes the same effort. For replacement the Neutral Safety switch is part #S9168 at Advance Auto Parts and runs about 20.00. That tab is very thin and flexible and i can see it causing lots of problems as the truck ages. Its a very shabby design.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
white plastic piece with two blue wires and a green one going into it. Thats your neutral safety switch.
You just described the backup light switch

Attachments

Last edited:

davidkroberts

most of them are the same switch (neutral safety/Backup light)on the civilian models. I couldnt find the switch described in the TM's but i ws in the starting section of the wiring diagram. Are they both on the military model or does the military one not have it there.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Without looking at mine, I can't say for sure. I just dont recall.

There is a chance that switch does both, neutral and reverse(switches).

I didn't see any neutral/park switch in the TM(starting circuits).

I just remembered the blue and green wires and the reverse lights because someone recently was troubleshooting their backup lights.

davidkroberts

i just looked at them too and cant find anything about it in either the -20 or -34. Its possible that mine is just a backup light switch and I did something while I was messing with the wiring harness but mine didnt do anything on until I fixed the tab. Starts fine now though.

Ill keep looking and revise the posting if i find anything. I posted it because i couldnt find anything about what i was dealing with in the search function

edpdx

David, I read and reread this OP of yours and I don't understand if the problem was fixed in this thread so far. I know it has been a long while since you posted this; but I just bought a new ignition switch because I was not getting a crank when turning the key. What was the fix?

M1008driver

I just had a Neutral Safety Switch experience. I ordered a new one and pulled the old one on my M1008. When I put the new (AC Delco-Made in China) back in, it snapped and broke. I ended up just using the old switch.

I did find out the switch also controls the backup lights. I also learned everything worked without mine except the backup lights. I read where some models will and some won't. The truck started without the switch is what I am saying.

Neutral Safety Switch Location - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

EDIT- I found this in the TM's

TM 9-2320-289-20
4-19. BACK-UP LIGHT SWITCH REPLACEMENT.

&

SECTION II TM9-2320-289-34P
1 PAOZZ 11862 22514861 SWITCH,SAFETY,NEUTR 1

Last edited: