• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Keys

motormayhem

The key for the ignition on my blazer doesn't unlock the doors. Is there a way to tell what key code the key I use is? Also are there any common problems with the door locks I could look for?

EO2NMCB

The locks should be keyed the same unless they have been changed out. I would lube the locks real good. The locks on my 1009 some times stick and you have to play with them. Other wise it would be cheaper just to get new locks at the parts store and swap them out.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Odds are better that a unit changed the ignition tumbler. Is the ignition key have squared or rounded corners? The 73Y2 (B) is probably the right key for the doors. Use graphite to loosen them up.

motormayhem

Odds are better that a unit changed the ignition tumbler. Is the ignition key have squared or rounded corners? The 73Y2 (B) is probably the right key for the doors. Use graphite to loosen them up.
It has rounded corners. It looks like a 73y2 (B) that is pictured in the FAQ. I'll try giving the locks some graphite.

CCATLETT1984

what if they changed the door locks to a different key set

most unlikely but could happen
while its possible that the door locks were changed, its a royal pain to change out three locks (tailgate has a lock too) instead of one.

Check the key in the tailgate lock as i doubt they would have gone through the trouble to change out that lock.

rod

Guys,

Since all the M1009s came with the same keys, i was concerned about someone (who knows M1009s) using their key to take my blazer. I decided I wanted to have a bit more security so I pulled my door lock thumblers and took them to the locksmith who rekeyed the door locks for $16.

Now I have a round key that unlocks the doors and the regular square iginition key. My security only works if the windows are up and the doors locked.

Croatan_Kid

I absolutely hated the idea of having a round ignition key when every Chevy K-series truck I've had (and pretty much every other GM car and truck) run a square ignition and round door key. So I just changed out the key switch since it was about busted anyway and kept the round one for the doors.

Now everything is normal again :-D

BobM

I absolutely hated the idea of having a round ignition key when every Chevy K-series truck I've had (and pretty much every other GM car and truck) run a square ignition and round door key. So I just changed out the key switch since it was about busted anyway and kept the round one for the doors.

Now everything is normal again :-D
I loved having one key to fit all the locks on my 9C1 Caprices. Also the idea that I could go to Mich and start any '91 State Police car was kind of intrigueing!;-)

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I changed the ignition and door locks on my 1008. I did not paint the door locks, left them chrome as a sign that they were changed. Less likely someone that knows the common key deal will mess with mine with others to choose from.