• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Killing NHC 250s -what we have learned killing 3 of them.

acme66

This is a long post but then it is the full recap of three years of destruction and frustration. I put the list of things I wish I had done or known here at the top just in case you don’t feel like reading all of it. It is an interesting story and there is a lot to learn from my expensive lessons. Everything you do is at your own risk but this is what I do now and what I wish I had done then.

All of these suggestions matter more in a 939 NHC truck than the older ones primarily because of the automatic transmission, I will explain later.

1. Install a pyrometer. Do it now. Never let the thing get above 1200F and try to keep it below 1100F. You will find this difficult and frustrating in a 939 truck. Heat kills and the damage is cumulative. If I had a pyrometer on my first truck it would have NEVER died on me. Get a pyro, period.

2. Keep additive in your fuel. Nothing special, one quart of cheap Wal-Mart brand motor oil per tank fill would be fine. Swap in a quart of ATF once in a while to clean things but always something. The dry fuel has less lubrication. Normally it will not be an issue but it might mean all the difference between a stuck piston and getting away with an EGT overheating situation.

3. Keep the air cleaner clean, don’t wait for the indicator. In the 250 less air = more heat. A dirty filter can make an easy 100F EGT difference on my trucks. Now this is a hard one because the fastest way to put a crap ton of dirt in the system is checking the cleaner all the time. Here is how I do it: Pull the air box cover all the way off every time. Pull and inspect the filter. If it is too dirty then replace after carefully cleaning the air box. If you are not replacing use a vacuum to carefully clean out the entire box and the top (opening) of the filter. Don’t blow the filter out, that is asking for some dust to make it around to the inside of the filter and into your motor. Make sure you have a tight seal, I have always put padding behind the filter, not much, just a little because I do not want to find it leaked running these gravel roads. Side note: I found that removing the intake cap dropped my EGTs by 25-50F at wide open throttle so that is also absolutely a restriction. I have been trying to contact Donaldson about selling me some of those Australian road train air ram intake scoops but so far no response from them.

4. When it comes to driving, she likes it rough. Again this is more of a 939 5 speed automatic issue. I am not saying to flog it like a rented chainsaw but if you are pulling out on the highway start in 2nd and manually shift it to 3rd when the RPMs hit 2000. I still have a hard time with this because the thought of all that unbalanced crap spinning around in there so fast makes me cringe but the manual guys have been driving them like that for decades. Don’t lug it, it builds heat faster that way. In a nutshell if I can only do 45mph then I do it in 4th at 2000RPMs rather than 5th at 1500. This remains hard for me because growing up driving old equipment excessive motor speed was always bad. Refer to #1 and unless you are cruising keep it turning between 1700 and 2100RPM. (I still refuse to go above 2000)

5. Let it warm up before driving and cool down before shutting off. This is sort of standard truck fare but I think it is particularly important on the NHC 250. The shock of cold liners rocketing up to 1000F when you pull out on the road is hard on them but I bet not half as bad as the slow cooking of those o-rings if you shut it down at those temps.

6. Don’t turn the fuel up on a 939 without putting a turbo charger on it… or ever. I used to be a firm believer that the 250 was not a good candidate for a turbo conversion but I have come around to the idea. There are some great instructions on here from guys that have done it but do me a favor, carefully read all of their material before asking questions. I have not nor would I crank the fuel but with all the people looking for more out of these motors I feel you should know that you are asking to become familiar with the inside of it.There are lots of other things I have done to my trucks that I recommend but had I followed 1-5 then I would not have butchered 3 NHC motors and would be many thousands of dollars and hours of frustration ahead of where I am now. Number 1 alone would have been enough. Put. A. Pyrometer. In

.And now… the rest of the story.It has been a while coming but I said I would put everything I have learned down in a single post about burning out 3 separate NHC 250 Cummins motors. The 250 is an older design motor based off uprated NH 220 and 230 motors. They are known for simplicity, reliability and rock solid performance… so how did I wipe out three?

After years of researching, testing and breaking things I think we can finally come to the table with an answer that might be beneficial to others.

First let’s talk about how I have been using them. I run a tour company in the summer, Alder Gulch Summit Tours, where we take people to the top of a mountain and talk about the history of gold mining in the area. I run the exact same route day after day and it has been this repetition that has let me test theories over the years and also destroy motors. I have been running up from Alder MT (5100ft) to Virginia City MT (5500ft) every morning, a distance of 7 miles with a 400 foot rise in elevation. From Virginia City we then run the tours, up to 6 daily to the top of the mountain climbing from 5500 feet to 8000 and back down in a 14 mile round trip. That first 7 mile climb is what has been killing my motors. I am sure now that the EGTs were 1300-1400F every day. I was just ‘driving it’ empty and doing my best to motor at speed.

All of the motors have died in EXACTLY the same way and two literally with in 100 yards of the same location. Running uphill on long grades they will start to stumble, feels exactly like a fuel issue. The first two just stumbled and knocked loudly but never died, the third died briefly. Then… they run normal again. (ok the third one had to be restarted and had a knock after) Each and every one then gave a brief but pungent coolant smell. If your engine breather dumps down alongside the motor you might see it puffing and chuffing like a steam engine, but otherwise they ran and had normal power.

What has happened is the Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) has climbed so high that the piston has started to stick briefly in the liner bore. It might not take the liner out on the first go-round. I now know that motor number two was a trooper. If you have followed our adventures on youtube you might remember a mystery fuel starvation issue I was having while climbing up the hill. Motor would just drop out. Tore into that system a half dozen times checking and changing things but finding nothing. Down to thinking there might have been a plastic bag in the bottom of the fuel tank.

We now know that I was sticking pistons. If you have the mystery fuel issue but not the puffing from the breather then you have stuck a piston but got away with it. With princess treatment it might run for many thousands of miles more but you have done serious scoring damage inside. Don’t have it rebuilt yet, drive it but know that you have damage in there. When the liner o-rings finally let go in that motor the following spring there was so much galled aluminum the oil and bottom compression ring were melted in. I ran that motor for thousands of miles like that. Sort of amazing when you think about it.

Eventually all that heat, made so much worse when the pistons start sticking, wipes out the liner o-rings and you fill the crankcase with coolant once the motor shuts off. That is why you must check the oil in these things constantly, bad things happen when you add 10 gallons of water to your oil pan and try to run it. All of mine have kept the water out of the oil while running. One of them I drained the coolant until I was ready to leave then filled it with water quick and drive the thing as is 90 miles and dumped the water again as soon as I shut it off.

The NHC 250’s have become sort of infamous for cavitation caused liner failure. We saw some pitting damage in two motors but none on the third. Chasing cavitation issues was a red herring for us, it distracted me from what I was doing that was actually killing them. Please understand that cavitation erosion of the liner wall IS a serious issue for the NHC wet liner motors. It is from the vibrations of detonation forming little bubbles that implode, the same process that eats props on speed boats.

Get that green crap out of there. Make sure you are running a good SCA additive package and test it with the strips. Your liners don’t have to be perfect now as long as they don’t eat through. Understand that thin spots are going to have heat issues and that is the real killer I have found.To have done it over I wish I cracked that first motor rather than switching trucks.

Not sure if we would have put the heat connection together that early given how sure we were about liner failure (I think one contributes to the other). By the time the second motor died we had already purchased the third truck. It was going to be faster to do a motor swap then rebuild and the tour season is only 10 weeks long so time mattered. But we KNEW the insides of that third motor were perfect. Few miles, new liners surly this one would run forever.

When it died the following spring I was gutted. No one else was having these issues. I had had old experienced Cummins guys basically say I was lying when telling them what I was doing and how long they were lasting. Only once we started sending parts to people did the true picture form. Heat damage.

They were sure I was overheating them but I was positive that none of the motors had ever gotten above 190F. Then one thing kept coming up, “I bet you have a blocked piston squirter”. That was when we started to learn the difference between the rock solid civilian versions of the 855 motors and the special ordered military version… without squirters. Under side oil cooling of the pistons is a huge part of heavy diesel survival. The NHC 250 lacks them.

We think we could see what oil journal they would be drilled into but with no way to flush the block I don’t see how the average guy could drill them. I could see taking a 290 or 300 block and putting 250 stuff into it but you might as well have the whole 290 or 300. Best I can tell the lack of those cooling squirters is sort of the Achilles heel of the 250.

It seems silly that driving an empty 923 or 925 up a gradual hill could kill them but if you do it often enough you will. I recommend following my steps to get a long service life from the motor. It is also worth noting that for every 1000 foot rise in elevation the 250 will lose 3% of its power. It is also getting less and less air which = more heat. We are sure the reason I have been the Sweeny Todd of 939 motors is running them day after like I have been and at this elevation.

I hope none of this will ever be an issue for you and that you can learn from what we have done to keep your own trucks rolling. Happy to answer questions.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:

red

As you noted the block is cast for the piston squirters but the passage was never drilled out, part of the military contract. Coolant type doesn't really matter for these engines but the PH is important.

Absolutely agree EGT's are the main concern and a gauge is the best first engine mod.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know if the civilian 250 has piston cooling? The 250 was a predominant engine in American trucking all through the 1960's. How did it survive hour long maximum horsepower pulls up high elevation roads like Raton Pass at 7800 ft elevation? "Dispatch, made it to the top but melted another engine!"

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ken,

I hope you don't mind that I put paragraphs in and broke it up to make it more legible. I tried to break them where I thought it made sense because I want all the 250 owners to read it. :)

Including me.

sw

Gunzy

Time for a Pyro. And a case of Dexron for additive. :) I have also been one of those guys to say, "Keep the fuel delivery stock."

Mos68x

Aside from point #1, which is paramount for any diesel motor, I wonder how much of this would apply to the 6CTA8.3 that I have in my truck.

dmetalmiki

What a tiresome and expensive way to find out about a, "spot the deliberate error". Are you sure the military version of these trucks does not have a sticker on the dash stating " Do NOT use on Hills"!.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ok and here comes my 2cents.

Yes on the more air. That is the primary key to any engine to perform. As far as adding fuel to a NA engine in general. Unless you have experience driving a hot NA engine then you shouldn't do it. Especially if you have a thing for seeing your own black smoke. And you don't always need a pyro meter if you know what you are doing. You will cook any engine regardless of the size. As far as the pumps on these particular engine. IF YOU METER IT then you won't have an issue. Dropping your button and turning up your adjustment behind the little ball bearing is just asking for it to burn down. Especially if you did not give her more air.

Some of the NH engines have the oil squirter passages there, some aren't drilled. Some are drilled and have plugs, and some have them. Regardless of who originally built the engine it may be any combination of internals. We know how this goes. We also know some of the rebuilds on these engines weren't good. Some RRAD. Some Honeywell's. It happens. It is just the luck. There is no quality assurance in anything the government does. Waste money to spend more.

I believe the engines that are dying in Montana are as result of the operator error and maintenance error. Your "Coolant" thread summed that up and WillWagner agreed on it doesn't need all that ELC crap. He knows more about engines that any of us would ever hope to know. @CSMDavis said it well too. KISS. They didn't have all that junk when the engine was designed and operated fine. and logged LOTS of miles without failures. Even in the mountains.

Additives to the fuel are great addition but I run them every once in about 20 tanks of diesel and I have burned thru over 12,000 gallons of diesel in the past year thru one truck. and almost 20,000gallons thru all trucks combined with no issue. You can fill up my filters with half ATF and diesel and it will act like crap for a few miles. It just doesn't like it.

The Allison is a good transmission as long as it is not abused. Mine has been leaking out the tailshaft ever since I installed it and has a bad output something or another and causes a vibration yet it operates and keeps on going down the road.

If you want to blow the NH250 up very easy, add a turbo to it and not do anything to help it. I believe you would be fine with a turbo and dumping some fuel into it and adding an intercooler without adding the squirters you would be fine. Will may correct me if I am wrong.

Just my thoughts and assumptions after reading things posted about all these dead engines.

Edit on the coolant thoughts. If ANYONE ever asks me when the last time I checked the SCAs my coolant has, I never have. I have added the bottle additives when I coolant flushed a few times and reused the oil coolant on other maintenance things but I have NEVER used a test strip to check it. and Yes my coolant is green Walmart SuperTech with distilled water. I am more than happy to go pull a test sample and yall can see how crappy it looks.

Added a video of the only NH250 failure I have had. It knocked a hole in the block and bent the connecting rod pretty good. This was a bad rebuild from Honeywell. I can only assume that since the engine ran for nearly 2 hours at 2000rpms sitting still and 7 minutes later when going down the road it did all that. Weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d1lxAZ2Wq0

Last edited:

Nomadic

Sorry to hear about your engine troubles and I appreciate you sharing your research into the failures. I'm curious about two things. The missing piston squirters and the air/fuel ratio. Were the squirters used on engines with less power? I'm wondering if they removed them because the engine was dumbed down in power output.
Are you looking at the air-to-fuel ratio? I'm pretty darn sure elevation changes requre a different A/F mixture and that should be adjusted automatically. But if not and the engine leans out, you get problems like you have. I don't know about the engine management systems, but I'm surprised and disappointed to hear a vehicle designed for "all terrain" would die so consistently.

red

Sorry to hear about your engine troubles and I appreciate you sharing your research into the failures. I'm curious about two things. The missing piston squirters and the air/fuel ratio. Were the squirters used on engines with less power? I'm wondering if they removed them because the engine was dumbed down in power output.
Are you looking at the air-to-fuel ratio? I'm pretty darn sure elevation changes requre a different A/F mixture and that should be adjusted automatically. But if not and the engine leans out, you get problems like you have. I don't know about the engine management systems, but I'm surprised and disappointed to hear a vehicle designed for "all terrain" would die so consistently.
Diesels are run lean by design with no issues, unlike a gas engine (one of those things that does not compare with both engine types). Increasing the fuel with a diesel engine increases the power but without increasing the air (basically requires a turbo) the exhaust gas temperatures rise very quickly to over 1200F, which is a critical temperature in this engine.

A naturally aspirated diesel doesn't adjust to altitude. A turbo corrects the lack of air density on diesels at altitude.

The lack of piston squirters was a mix of a spot where the government went cheap on the contract and the lower power models with the small cam 855 series engines.

acme66

Simp, three different motors, none set up by us all lasting one year. Now this motor 100% set up by us. No fuel increase in any of them. Driving trucks since I was a boy and grew up in a heavy equipment operation and repair family. I drive a truck up a hill nearly empty 6 days a week for 10 weeks each year. By all means, tell me how I am killing these motors. Please honest enlighten me. Don't just come in with operating error then not back it up. I can provide 4 years of detailed driving, fuel, maintenance and testing records. If you can tell me how I am running them that is causing early death, if you can solve what has stumped a Cummins heavy truck shop and every expert I have consulted I will write you a check and send you 10% of what I paid for the last rebuild kit. Be about $150 all for just sharing what you already have. Money well spent for me.

You are however wrong on the coolant however. The 250 is prone to cavitation issues like any wet liner motor but it was not the reason for these motors burning out. It is more of a years + miles thing and few surplus trucks see more than just years. I have spoken to so many motor shops at this point. The guidelines you are following are decades out of date, not wrong just behind the times. Did you know that the black oxide layer on new liner kits is an specific anti-cavitation coating and that it works in conjunction with certain additives counted on in the coolant? Do you know what Cummins specs for coolant in these motors today? Nothing says you will not get years and years of life with the green stuff but there is better, way better and that is what the company who makes the motors recommends for this aplication.

Write that check in a heartbeat man...

Ken

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You admitted you killed the first one due to not having a pyrometer which constitutes operator error. If you burn a motor up that is plain your fault. So thats 1.
The guidelines may be out of date but they are simple and effective. And worked then. Why not now? I dont hear anyone else looking for liner kits because they had a failure on one....just an observation. Nearly every failure ive heard of was a spun bearing from an high rpms or locked up after a bad rebuild.

Maintenance records dont mean anything if it is harming the engine with it. ELC eats rubber as Will said. Compromising the orings causing leaking. Maintenance error.

The inspection video you posted shows #1 piston in bad shape. If you don't have the fuel turned up maybe a dual fuel line kit to help evenly distribute the fuel to all cylinders so one two and three dont hog it all.

Driving trucks all your life does not mean anything. People walk all their lives and they still bump into stuff or have difficulty with it. Learn the truck and what it is suppose to be driven like. Not your F250 or CUCV. A M39 truck with a mack is gonna go up and down a hill alot different than a 250 and you cant expect them all to be the same.

Another thought is this. LEAVE IT ALONE. If something isnt broke. Dont fix it. Things dont need the latest and greatest thing to function.

I drive, abuse, and beat my 5 ton to death more than what it was intended for. I tow thru long grades from TN to NC along I40. Ive even taken my 923 over Rogers pass in montana a few times with a load on it. No problems. I do little to no engine maintenance. Other than an oil change.

Use your head. If your engine is getting too hot you are gonna smell it before it is too bad. If you don't know the heat smell then your not working it hard enough.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So here is a pic of what my green stuff looks likes at the bottom of my radiator. It tends to get greener than that with better lighting. but it has some left over from a black pepper stop leak a few months back. Not worried about it since I am going to do a radiator swap since I have had some pin holes. but Yes. it is green coolant. has been since I started running her. No issues.

but I will take your word for it on the trucks not being able to take heat and not have green coolant, she needs a turbo, her fuel should not be turned up nor the pump built right, nor should she have done 5800 miles in the past 16 days. So I better go outside and let her know that she is suppose to be burned up, or have dropped a liner, or some other form of problem that shes not having. Because someone who has a NHC250 is having problems cause they are doing something totally opposite. I don't see the point your making with half of the #1 posting.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks