• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kinda got carried away..... M1028 rebuild

rnd-motorsports

WOW sweet looking truck !! the 1028 I got is also a arizona truck and no rust anywhere! everybody that has seen it cant beleive its an 85. repainted mine just becouse Im not real big on the olive so went to the camo will post pics you have done a great job looks great wish I would have went as far as you did. :driver:[thumbzup]

combatmech

Very cool...glad to see someone is having a blast with their project. My GF says I need to get home soon.....the boxes from LMC have taken over the living room.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Send out some pics....Like the old GM in photo 1 also:smile:
Mikelee;

That old truck in the photo is a '57 GMC 3/4-ton factory Napco 4WD with the original 347 Pontiac V8 and factory power steering + power brakes. I am considering restoring it later.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
October 8, 2010 Update -

Got the bed back on; doors installed; DynaMat sound proofing in doors; new hood installed with new 24-volt Solargizer; front bumper, grill, and guard back on; new Hella E-code headlights and harness installed; new parking lights & side marker lights; new rear glass, polished & re-installed windshield glass; new rubber floor mat with insulation; new seat belts. I threw the LMC windshield gasket in the dumpster because it was 6" too big; located a GM OEM gasket at a GM dealership in Detroit. Will post more photos as I get things completed.

Attachments

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Used Gillispie 383 CARC substitute without hardener. Easy and repairable in the field with spray cans. Got it from Army Jeep Parts.

I plan to install 11.00/20 NDT on custom Firestone split rims. I already accomplished this on a 1985 1-ton civilian truck, and will be using the same set up on the M1028. Here's a photo -

Attachments

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
November 10, 2010 Update -

Abandoned trying to rebuild the vent windows. The replacement rubber from LMC is not the same as OEM, different profile and too big. In addition, the vertical rubber must be glued to the post, whereas the OEM rubber is mechanically bonded.

I found complete NOS vent window assemblies and have them on the way. For those of you interested, the GM part number for the LH vent assemby is 15634471 and the RH is 15634471.

Will post new photos as soon as I get the doors finished.

chevymike

Looking good.

BTW, the vent window numbers you posted are the same numbers for LH and RH. I assume this is not correct? Do you have correct numbers?

Keep up the great build!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
if you like the dynamat, try fatmat...

I buy it by the roll. Works great. it does 'gas out' a little more than the dynamat (smells bad for about two, three days as it 'cures in place' so to speak).

I can't wait to see the wheels mounted ON YOUR TRUCK. Love the bracket around the solargizer. Looks sweet...

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made a mistake in Post #33 - the correct part number for the passenger side vent window assembly is 15634472. Up through the 1984 model year, GM offered all the parts to rebuild the vent window assemblies. Then starting with the 1985 model year they discontinued all the parts offerings and only offered the complete assembly. The complete assembly will fit all years of that specific body style. Both LH and RH vent window assemblies are available through GMPartsgiant.com . Kinda expensive, but if you are planning a complete truck rebuild as I am, it is the only way to go. The only thing not included in the new vent assemblies are the twist locks. Rebuild kits are available from LMC and you can re-use the original black handle.

I am finishing the interior now and will post some photos when done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks