• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

King of the rattle can

Jinx

I've got to say your trucks look great! Who would have thought spray cans could make a military truck look so good? Never would have thought it until I found this site. :-D

dk8019

Bulldog, that 5-ton looks awesome! Is there anything complex to this process? I'm guessing you just mask off everything that shouldn't be painted and then go to it, correct? I have a 5 ton coming that will need paint, and I think I'll leave it flat green for now.

bigelk50

Bulldog_Mack13
When doing your camo job with a spray can did you end up with fine lines between the color changes, or did you just kinda feather it in? I cannot tell from your pic. I am going to shoot my base coat with a gun and do the camo with a can. Thanks

sak00

Thank God yes, she was spinning pretty good and I had to put my foot in it. Hence, the smoke. She hunkered down and crawled right through it. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. And that was the only way out. I have decided that I am only going to off-road the Jeep in these parts from here on out.

Sorry for the HI-jack

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Some people dont But I tape every little thing off I done want paint on. It featherd in very close just like the stuff in the motor pool on the base. Stencil every little thing back on them.

My next M35 will be Carc Tan rattle can's.

Attachments

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Mac you have my vote as being the "Rattle Can King". I just looked again at the before and after pictures of your truck. It gave me hope for the deuce I just recovered from Meade. Did you prime before painting???

Jinx

Any suggestions on painting the wooden troop seats? I will scrape the seats of all the loose paint first and probably rattle can them over with Rustoleum Camo. Should I primer them first?

Canislupus

If I had one, instead of a 109A3, I'd do what I did in my Cab, and get a Gallon of PolyUrethane, Brush / Roll on Truck Bed liner, and hit them with that. If they're really dry, you should never have to do them again. Plus the sand in it will keep your "Troops" from sliding around.

Got mine on "Clearance" for 34.95 a Gallon, and only used about 3/4 Gallon for the Cab floor.

My .02 worth.

HeadWizard

Now that you mention it, I really don't know exactly. I started out with 10 cans and just kept buying them as I needed them. The truck already had a good base, I just freshened it up a bit. Walmart has Krylon camo paint for 3.00 and some change a can. Probably spent about 100.00 or so on paint. Maybe a little more. I painted the inside also.
$3 a can? Darn Walmarts around here are $4.44! I just bought out 3 stores to paint Shorty for Saturday's parade..... Nothing like projects at the last minute!

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Yeah , Rustoleum automotive primer. I havent done troop seats , the 813A1 has fiber glass seats and bows. I say sand real good and get alot of paint for it to soak in.

Thanks guys on the comments. Ive enjoyed doing them and id be happy to help anyone with theres , Jay