• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

King of the rattle can

mcmullag

just painted

I am surprised how much paint is packed in those Rapco cans. It's like, ok, my finger is tired, hurry up and get empty. I painted my first truck in the wally world Krylon colors. For my current truck I listened to the instructions of the master, bulldogmack13.
Master say for deuce; buy 2 cases 383 green and 1 case 383 brown from Rapco, den get black color from Lowe's or Home Depot or wally world as Rustoleum flat black.
I really like the results, looks way more accurate to me than the Krylon stuff. Prep is just scuff up surface with brillo pad like thing and wash good at carwash, finish with no spot finish.

Attachments

Redneckbmxer24

you gotta tell us, is that a varmint rifle... for prairie dogs...

or is it a real caliber?
Thats no varmint rifle, thats a real deal Accuracy International with a Schmidt and Bender 5-25 on top and AAC suppressor, theres over $8K in that rig right there not including all the other goodies I have for it. It's expensive but it's built tough as nails and dead nuts reliable like these vehicles. It's 308 and its a laser to 1400 yards 155 Lapua Scenar loads and I've successfully shot it at 1790 yards which is just over a mile.

Last edited:

JoL

What an interesting thread, field fixes would work great.

I was having trouble in-visioning the 24052 color in a spray can since it is semi-gloss vs. the great 34052, anyone have pics of the two in after bring spray painted?

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have always used rattle cans and the results seem to be pretty good. I don't have a spray gun, so this is the main reason why. Rattle cans are inexpensive, easy to use, and the paint dries pretty fast too.

Pawnshop

I wiped the entire vehicle down with lacquer thinner by hand, then shot it. The tan is mostly a HF spray gun with some rattle can in areas, the 383 is HF gunned green base with rattle can blk/brn. All Rapco paints, all done in my driveway, and I consider a cheap HF gun to differ from a rattle can only in capacity, so I consider these all "rattlecan" jobs:

Attachments

WarrenD

The way I'm doing it varies. Some areas I am sanding down to bare metal (or smooth, even finish) with 80 grit, using dark grey Rustoleum Auto Primer and painting. If there is rust, I am using POR-15 on the metal first, then prime and paint. Areas that are even and just need top coat, I use a scotch pad to scuff the surface and paint. Before painting I always wipe the entire area with Prep-Sol and I always mask off anything and everything that I don't want to get paint on. Can't say as to the long term as I just started within the last month.

spicergear

I heard some guys were having trouble contacting Rapco recently, anyone get ahold of them lately?

I sent an email with basically an order upwards of about $200, it took them nearly two weeks to call me, I was at work and couldn't grab it, called back and haven't been called again. I may just rattle can the ole Bruiser for now...

JoL

I sent an email with basically an order upwards of about $200, it took them nearly two weeks to call me, I was at work and couldn't grab it, called back and haven't been called again. I may just rattle can the ole Bruiser for now...
Spicer did you ever sort your order out??

I placed an order on 10/17 and have not heard back about it? I am giving them the benefit of the doubt and will call them come monday. Anyways i went with 34052 for my jeep resto, should I have gone with aervoe? as my window of weather is running out. :driver:

I will post pics whenever the paint shows up :grd:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I met the team from Rapco at the MVPA show in Dayton this year. Good people and I have never had a problem getting my orders from them. I use the online ordering system on their website, not e-mail. They have been traveling doing shows and I'll bet they have a lot of back orders waiting.

As for prep, someone who knows more about it than me said just power wash the truck and spray it. I used Rustoleum red primer on any bare or slight rusty spots and then rattle canned the whole thing. I sure get a lot of compliments on it but it isn't the best looking truck by far. I wanted mine to look like it came right from a military unit, not a factory showroom floor.

WarrenD

I agree with SW, very few of them looked showroom new for very long. Even at that showroom new for a MV was nothing like civie vehicles of the time. I'm getting close to being done with my M37, all rattle-can, and hope to be finished by this time next week. As I posted above, I'm doing a little more prep than just a quick wash.

JoL

I will be spraying My non-MV DD Jeep hopefully this week, wife and kid don't leave much time :driver:, So I ordered 12 cans of 34052 from rapco, I am shaking them with the washing machine and have different nozzles ready including a comfort grip aerosol spray gun:jumpin:. If anyone is interested in photos let me know, thank you to everyone, for posting such wonderful knowledge!

Post some more pics of sprayed rigs!

Edit: I forgot to add I am using rustoleum PROFFESSIONAL rusty metal primer as a base, I have not decided between acetone or paint thinner for prep...

How long does the spray paint take to dry when applying many coats? What were your experiences, I park the jeep outside while the Vento is in the garage. Wondering your total cure time, how long I should leave the jeep in the garage for, before it can see rain or frost.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks