• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

King Pin and Spindle Bushings

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep don't forget about them spindle bushings. Lot of people install the spindle and don't add any grease to the inside.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'd be there a while taking out .012", and would wind up with a hourglass shaped bushing using a spring loaded brake hone. Non ferrous metals also clog grinding/honing stones.
Seems like when the bushing is installed in the cap there would be a blind end and only 1/14 inch deep. Don't think a brake hone would work well here. Right tool for the right job is the answer.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not a cap really. Just a sleeve - both ends remain open. Bushing can easily be honed with fine sandpaper wound around a piece of pipe.

rustystud

You'd be there a while taking out .012", and would wind up with a hourglass shaped bushing using a spring loaded brake hone. Non ferrous metals also clog grinding/honing stones.
Actually not as long a time as you would think. Also using a good "cutting" oil prevents the stones from clogging with the brass. I've used this technique many times. Just recently used it on one of my steering gears after replacing the sector shaft bushings. As far as the "hourglass" effect, if you use proper hone technique and also check your work regularly you will prevent this from happening. Once your close to the proper fit, you would install the bushing on the shaft. By turning it on the shaft you can see your "high" spots and then hand sand them down. Yes it can take a while. It took me an hour to hone out my steering gear bushings, but it can be done and the finished product is usually excellent !

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now you can see why I am selling everything as I have lost my mind. Hope I don't forget which one is the brake peddle. Yep it was a plate thing then the flat cap cap or steering arm.

Attachments

texas30cal

The reamer is THE right way, and cost is reasonable, yes it can be done with a hone IF it doesn't clog, it could even be done with a whipstick/sandpaper in a diegrinder. Will the bore be straight on such a short length? Definitely not. Possibly not even round bc the hone just follows whatever hole is already there. Using a reamer with reasonable care it will be to correct size and straight. Yes, things can be done without the ideal equipment but without knowing the OP's circumstances and skill set/patience level I'm not putting info like that out there as I don't want to get them frustrated or have them waste time, parts and money.

rustystud

The reamer is THE right way, and cost is reasonable, yes it can be done with a hone IF it doesn't clog, it could even be done with a whipstick/sandpaper in a diegrinder. Will the bore be straight on such a short length? Definitely not. Possibly not even round bc the hone just follows whatever hole is already there. Using a reamer with reasonable care it will be to correct size and straight. Yes, things can be done without the ideal equipment but without knowing the OP's circumstances and skill set/patience level I'm not putting info like that out there as I don't want to get them frustrated or have them waste time, parts and money.
Actually machine shops use a power "hone" to fit parts like this all the time. I put this out there to help those who don't have the extra cash laying around to spend on a tool they might never use again. Using a brake hone with patience and care "will" give you excellent results. In fact the sector shaft fits so perfect in the bore I did for my steering gear, that there is not even 0.0001" lateral movement in it. That's correct 1 in ten thousandths of an inch. Yes it takes time, but if you have no money but plenty of time then this will work.

Buderwuder

Got the new bushings pressed in last night, need to remove about 0.010-0.012” off each one.

I found an adjustable reamer for $39 on the famous auction website. When I’m done I’ll lend these out to anyone that wants to borrow as long as they pay the to/from shipping. Also found one for the spindle bushings.

I do like the brake hone idea. I thought about that too. I have one for the brake WC’s but it’s too large. That would be a good way to get there also, and have a smoother finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks