• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kingpin bushing bolt issue

Chevyman_15237

I had to replace a CV boot because it was slinging grease everywhere. Had it tore apart, cleaned it up and installed my new zipper boot. As I was finishing the install, I finger tightened the bolts into the kingpin bushings (passenger side boot guards). I put the 7/8" socket on the bolts, and tightened them all except one. The last one I went to tighten stripped out... worst part is I barely got the ratchet on there and it started spinning.

Probably no way to fix this unless you get a new kingpin bushing? Any thoughts or ideas?? Just happened 10 minutes ago, I havent had time to research, I'M IN PANIC MODE!!!!!!

Thank you in advance!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might be able to use a slightly longer bolt and get into some good threads deeper in the hole.

or, Drill it out and retap it for a Heli-coil or a thread insert, or just go to the next size larger bolt threads.

or, There are even some epoxy kits for thread repairs.

Last edited:

bguy193

It sounds like you didn't have the plate squared up when the bolt was started. You might want to remove the plate then get a new grade 8 bolt and chase the threads on the steering knuckle with a tap. When you reassemble.... square up the plate and get all of the bolts started and run all of them down snug before tightening.