• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

knob on dash - brake controller?

svaasand

I purchased a 1986 M1038. It has this knob and switch on the dash, but I don't know what this is. There is no extra electrical equipment installed on the vehicle.
It looks like an electric brake controller?
Does anyone know what this is, and if it was installed during2021-10-15 13_51_38-20211015_084242[38601].jpg ‎- Bilder.png army service? If it is a later civilian addition, it will go away...

-Lars

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I purchased a 1986 M1038. It has this knob and switch on the dash, but I don't know what this is. There is no extra electrical equipment installed on the vehicle.
It looks like an electric brake controller?
Does anyone know what this is, and if it was installed duringView attachment 847977 army service? If it is a later civilian addition, it will go away...

-Lars
That black knob has the look of a rheostat. The toggle and that switch doesn't appear to be military just from outward appearances. There aren't a whole lot of electric brakes on military trailers either. I agree with Action 's suggestion about tracing the wires to really figure out what those switches were (are?) for.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it's an add on of some type, so very unlikely that it will affect anything if removed.
I've never seen that particular type of knob used in any HMMWV.
As you say your truck doesn't have anything electrical added to it, I wouldn't worry too much.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks