• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Knock, knock...

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Better to be safe than sorry. Try changing the oil anyway. And I'd idle it up a little. The headlights don't hold up to vibrations at idle too well. And they will fail. Idling it up a little takes the vibrations down a few notches. I run 15w40 In both my multis with no problems.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My oil guage began reading a bit low, and I found the connection on the sender was very dirty. cleaned it and now back to 30 psi hot idle and 70psi highway. But I have never put a mechanical guage on for test. Before I do, I may calibrate it against a known pressure just to make sure. I think mentioning calibration is a good thing here.

sailor2000

I have ordered a oil analysis kit and will do that next... What TM has the idle speed setting instructions???? And what is the correct idle speed? Anybody?

sailor2000

Got idle set to 800... much smoother... fiance said "Did the engine get quieter?"... now has 20 psi oil pressure on the mechanical gauge at idle when at 190F on the water temp gauge..., 25 psi on the in dash gauge... no more or very little knock noise now... have (I think) uploaded a quick time file with sound of the engine at idle... will post link...

Thank you all for your help...

This site and it's members are TOO COOL!!!!

vtdeucedriver

Ok, now i am going to add this..................which oil sending unit is supposed to be in the multi? Think most of mine have the 120 sender unit installed............shoud it have the 60? I had one deuce that did and at power, it would just peg out. the others. sit at about 30psi and they are on the 120 sender.............but if you look at a 120 marked gauge, they sit at the 60psi mark

sailor2000

Ever heard the saying that 'It is better to be lucky than good'???? Well.. it was soooo true for me today... was out front playing with the deuce when my friendly neighbor walks over... he says some nice things about the truck and then casually mentions that he was a mechanic working on M35s and M60s in the Army for 12 years!!!!!! He was nice enough to give my engine the once over.... the report??? The noise I was concerned about is some sticky injectors!!!! Other than that he says it looks and sounds EXCELLENT!!!!!

Maybe I should make a run to Vegas since my luck is soooooo good today!!!!!!!!!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sticky injectors?? The nozzles in the multi are the pintle type. I takes a given pressure..14,000 or so, to un seat the pintles in the nozzle. They are a normally closed. If they were sticking, i guess that would mean they would open late or stay open too long. If they were opening too late, you'd most likely have white smoke and low power.. too late of an injection time, or if they stayed open too long, black smoke, low power, dying..if the pintle stays open too long, the cylinder pressures overcome the fuel pressures and force the compression back into the fuel system. BUT, the Bosch fuel systems can have a dribbling injector..there is a specific test for this..If this is the issue, the engine will smoke black all the time and have a noise kind of like a marble rolling around in the engine..it's kind of a cool sound. If this is the issue, you can short it out by losening the injector line from each cylinder and giving it a quick blip on the throttle. The noise/smoke will be gone when you locate the failed injector. 2cents
Not that it means anything, and I don't wanna sound like a donkey, but, I have 20 years experience on Bosch fuel systems. Never heard of a sticking injector on a Bosch system, but, you learn something new, every day!

sailor2000

OK... sticky, noisy, whatever.... we used a stethascope and the click/knock was definately in 2 of the injectors... none of the others sounded the same and the noise was the loudest with the probe directly on the injector... this is my 1st duece, and it does seem to smoke a bit and be short on what I would have imagined the power would be... he suggested putting some Lucas injector cleaner / lube in and running it for a while and seeing what happens.... we went over the engine top to bottom and front to read with the stethascope and the noise was evident at the #5 and 6 injectors... got better as the engine warmed up... If it was a Detroit or a Cummins I would know just what it should sound like... but for a 465.. I will defer to his expertise....

OSO

Nice to have a neighbor like that ! When I moved from WI out to Marysville ,WA my next door neighbor was one of the first Detroit Diesel mechanic in Seattle he was flown around the northwest , and up to Alaska to work on Detroits. He had airplanes also worked on his last plane he had recovered the fuselage on his Piper Tripacer. Really a nice guy .Good friends for 22 years now. Keep your neighbor on your good side! 2cents

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had great results with lucas. Try using twice the normal amount and run the tank of fuel through it on the highway. These engines love to run and after 50 miles or so they smooth out. Road trips do wonders for them.