• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Knocking 6.2

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove my M1028 to work today. And a few miles from home whle running about 50MPH the engine jerked, puffed out a cloud on black smoke and started knocking. It's hard to tell if it's a connecting rod or what. I'm thinking the noise is higher up. Mabye a pistion wirst ppin? Anybody had this happen? What did you find out? Thanks, Ken

Westech

CPL
seen a ton of rocker arms blow off in the 6.2 I would pop a cover and take a look. if it was a piston pin it would not have smoked.. that means fuel/air or a blown rod.. but it would have just blown up if that happened. Im betting on valve train.

ABN173

I don't know but it does NOT sound good, I would start looking for a 6.2 on GL or someplace else because that one just told you "I quit" good luck and keep us posted.

Dale

Monkeyboyarmy

Ken.Let me be the optimist in the crowd.One day a few years ago,I was also driving down the highway to work in my 1009 when the thing started hammering like crazy.I was going to pull over and call a wrecker.I continued to work about 3 miles without problem.During the day I went out and started it to try to figure out which rod was going to come out of the block.I also thought that maybe a rocker had come off.About the 8th or 10th time I started it,it purred like a kitten (well a can of marbles)again.Drove it for a couple of more years until the injector pump quit.Changed the pump and drove it till the body fell off (OHIO).Still runs to this day.My guess is that an injector hung open with dirt or ? and threw the timing way off on that cylinder.You could check this scenario by cracking each injector line loose to see if the sound changes.Or it could be a rod.Ohhhh wait! Also check the harmonic dampener.At times they will dry rot and the weight will move back and hit the timing cover or oil pan.

EZFEED

Rocker arm. Its either a pushrod thats busted through the arm or the arm came off and the pushrod is knocking the inside of the valve cover.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Crankshafts are known to break as well. Mine did on a civy truck but it was a lateral crack and it still ran, albeit loudly.

dependable

If the engine ever had a glow plug break off, this will cause a rap. The affected piston and wrist pin may need to be replaced, a time consuming job, but the rest of the engine is probably fine.

SRM1009

I have been looking on the internet for injecters. My question is the borg warner part # 14059057 the right injecter for the m1009. are they long fine or short fine theards.

acmunro

One of my civi 6.2 's did something that sounds similar. (Heavy knock/Black Smoke) It was an intermittent thing. I figured it must be an Injector or IP. I didn't do anything to fix it and it has not done it for 15,000 miles.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Morning update: I just started the truck After letting it cool down last night. It started quickly just like it all ways has and ran smooth. No knocks, no noises. I wondering if i had a injector dump raw fuel on top of a piston and it knocked? The truck has sat for a while mabye the fuel had collected some water? I'm letting it warm up and am about to take a test drive. I'm thinking of pulling the valve covers and look for broken retainers or lifted arm shaft caps.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After about 5miles on my test drive It started making a ticking noise. Not loud but noticeable. It sounds about like a solid or machinical lifter ticking. Kind of like a motorcycle with the rockerarms with too much clearence. It still runs smooth and has the same power level. Guess i'll be pulling the rockers for a piece of mind.

SRM1009

I talked to a local diesel man he said my 1009 had a stuck injecter and put a qt of trans fluid in the fuel. I did it and so far it is running better less noise and smoke. He said since it had been setting for a long time that the diesel was bad and the trans fluid would help clean the injecters a lube the pump. I hope it keeps working

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to fill it with fresh fuel and some lucas injector cleaner today and see if it clears up. I've heard a few stuck injectors before but this one just sounds a bit different. If it turns out to be bad valve train i'll swapp out parts from a engine in the back. I'll keep you posted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks