• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Knuckle and gear cover

springbok

Does anyone have one of these laying around? Condition is not important.
Mine are pretty corroded and I need to replace them.
Being that I have a machine shop in the basement I am going to just make them, I just need a template so I am not down for a few days.
I will probably use stainless so they do not rot away again..
Thanks

springbok

I will replace them but having a machine shop in my basement I wanted to make a bunch out of something other than aluminum so I do not have this issue ever again.

springbok

No, I am not a CNC guy.
The only reason I did not want to pull one off is I do not want any down time with the 998 right now.
I was thinking that I would make them out of stainless as that would resolve them falling apart.
Once I get it set up I figure I would make a run of them so that I can send them out to other people here that need them.

DatGuyC

I'd probably be in for some depending on price. One of my rear ones is getting pretty gnarly. I know some company makes aluminum ones that are a lot thicker with view glasses but they were $$$

Mjvaden

Just take it off measure/ trace it and reinstall. I rebuild the hubs on every Hmmwv I get and to take this part off clean and replace you are only looking at about 10 to 15 minutes once the wheel is off. Make sure you use some gasket maker on it when you replace it.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am going to price the metal today. I am thinking of going with Stainless Steel as it will last.
What are everyone's thoughts.

Just buy NOS and reinstall...then wait 25yrs for the next one to corrode...lol
i find its only the outside edges that deteriorate. I change them out on Hub rebuilds, but only if they are far gone.
its simple to replace at any time.
i find them on eBay for about 10-20 bucks...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks