• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Knuckle Dilemma-1952 M35

Kaiser67M715

So, went about getting my knuckles all put together, cleaned and inspected everything, installed the spindle, hub backing plate, and all of a sudden, no movement, can't turn the knuckle, can't even spin the axle.

??

Well tore it all back down(and realized that my "grade 8" nuts I bought are probably just grade 5 or less, stripped a couple, bottoms are all tore up from the lock washers) but as soon as the spindle got just a little loose, everthing rotated as it should, so slowly re-tightened everything, seems to be going fine, right till my final torque, no movement.

Now I know I got to tear it all down(and replace all the nuts) but I am wondering if any of you all have an idea as to what could be going on? any specific areas I should keep an eye out for?

**I have only done passenger side, figure if it happens on one side, may happen on the other, much rather try to only assemble things once

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So you mean as you tighten the backing plate, the spindle is unable to rotate on the kingpins?

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could the axle be not completely installed in the differential? That would cause it to stick out and become clamped between the inner knuckle and the spindle.

rick

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I was thinking maybe the oil seal isn't all the way in. Mine were a pita for sure. Did you do just the seal or did you pull out the plate they mount in?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For some reason your axle shaft is now binding, between spindle and seal retainer. Are you sure the retainer got seated all the way back in, again? And that it wasn't distorted after all those initial removal efforts?

Also, where is the trust-washer now, the one that goes on that (old style) seal retainer?
I'm looking at the picture you posted in post #90 of your other thread, and it seems as if the TW was either removed, or is completely missing...?

G.

Kaiser67M715

So you mean as you tighten the backing plate, the spindle is unable to rotate on the kingpins?
Kind of? I have the outer Knuckle Portion on the inner Knuckle, rotated on the king pins fine, installed axle-shaft, seemed to seat fine, could rotate it fine, loaded it up with grease(ball joints, not U-joint style)

then installed the spindle portion( where the wheel bearings would sit) and backing plate with the thin metal ring, tightened them. then I couldn't rotate the axle-shaft, or turn the knuckle on the king pins.

I don't need to undo the 12 nuts much, maybe so I get 1/8 " and then I can turn everything freely(knuckle on king pins and axle shaft)

I know the seal retainer was installed all the way, but I've been thinking about it...maybe one of the thrust washers isn't seating, can't really see how the axle shaft not seated in diff could only need an 1/8 inch to free up.

I'll keep you all posted, gonna go have another go at it, gonna be wasting a fair bit of grease now

Kaiser67M715

Also, where is the trust-washer now, the one that goes on that (old style) seal retainer?
I'm looking at the picture you posted in post #90 of your other thread, and it seems as if the TW was either removed, or is completely missing...?

G.
didn't see your post till I posted, but the washer came out with the shaft, it is installed...but maybe backwards, I am looking at your pic, I think I sent the bevel out not in, have to look at the other retainer, thrust washer is still on the drivers retainer, so I'll look at that as well when I go tear it apart

Kaiser67M715

well, it was that thrust washer, backwards, and looks like it wasn't in place correctly, got a decent knick in the retainer now, so have to pull that out.

Any Part numbers I could run to Autozone for the axle seal? know I saw a thread with a number, but can't find it.. and didn't see it listed in cross reference sheet in the stickies. would like to get the front all buttoned up, but if I have to wait a few more days, no big deal just taking longer then I want, but at least it will be 100% in the brakes and axles.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that trust-washer goes on the retainer, only. Otherwise there is nothing else that would keep it centered.

That "knick" may not be too relevant; as long as you can stick the trust-washer on it should be OK. (Beveled side goes towards the diff.)

G.

Kaiser67M715

well I royally screwed up the retainer, went to go pop it out, what? no seal?, sitting in the tube...ok, pop it out, what I thought was a knick, is well, two knicks from where the thrust washer sat up against it.

M35 oops 001.jpgM35 oops 002.jpgM35 oops 003.jpgM35 oops 004.jpgM35 oops 005.jpg

so in the first pic(if it loads as I see it) you can see the impression on the retainer where the washer sat(top and bottom of the retainer as shown, the top crease is easy to see, the bottom is not, look for a dark arc going across the middle portion in the top)

, then the next two show how the retainer bowed in, which probably pushed the seal out, and pulling the axle shaft left the seal in the tube. and the fourth pic tries to show how the surface where the seal sits is now uneven, and fifth and final pic shows the outer wall is slightly pushed out, versus the opposite side.

I didn't feel I tightened the spindle that much, but it was obviously enough to bend up the retainer, so I guess I will be on the search for one of those.

maybe my brother can use the Part numbers from the service manuals, and cross reference them to the old Mack/Rockwell parts... might get lucky.

so, yeah lesson learned, make sure parts are seated properly before tightening anything:oops:

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
maybe my brother can use the Part numbers from the service manuals, and cross reference them to the old Mack/Rockwell parts... might get lucky......
Be aware that most of the parts-TM's will show that retainer with the number 8738031. Do not order that part since it will NOT work with your axle shaft!
The one you need is the early style seal retainer, ORDNANCE PART NO. 7521788 and MFR'S PART NO. TD-A1244U541; RC-855D1; SD-913847

G.

Attachments

Kaiser67M715

Thanks, those are the numbers I gave him, my parts books are dated 1955, not a single multi-fuel parts that I have seen yet uploadfromtaptalk1432467119784.jpg

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good thing is that this retainer could easily be reproduced by anyone knowing how to use a lathe and a caliper....

BTW: Great books! Would love to see them scanned/digitized and uploaded to our library. Anyone...??

G.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks