• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Knuckleboom trailer project

Rattlehead

Went on a recovery trip this past weekend to pick up my new project. It’s a rusted out Chevy C60 with a nice 16.4’ Hiab knuckeboom crane. 2500 lb rating at max extension. Not as big as I would like, but it was a very good price and should work well for my intentions.

My plan is to make a trailer out of the chassis, leaving the crane in place. The crane’s hydraulics will be run from a modified riding mower with 18hp engine, which will be mounted across the frame rails of the trailer. I left the front wheels on it for now to move it easily. Flip up the weather cover that I made from the lawn mower’s fenders and start the motor. Thought about tapping into the hydraulics on my M932A2 but then it would only work with this truck and not the deuce, unless I add hydraulics to it as well.

The trip. Left 830 am, a friend of mine following in another vehicle. Get within maybe 7 miles of the 110 mile trip, the tractor starts losing power. Switched tanks to the full one, no change. It was topping out at 30 mph by the time I got it to my other friend’s driveway where the C60 was waiting. Fuel filter plugged that fast. Had one spare, didn’t think that was enough, so went to town in the car and got a couple more. Luckily no more problems with it on the trip back.

We ended up cutting off the C channel that was the back bumper of the C60, and welding it to the front frame rails to give enough surface area to bolt the clevis mounts to, which we pulled off the front of the tractor. Also had to disconnect the pitman arm, as the wheels would not return without doing so. Power and braking wise, the tractor pulled it well.

Got to play with the crane a bit yesterday, which is running off the truck’s pto now. Unloaded my job box full of tools, chains, etc from the tractor nicely.

Still need to figure out some landing gear for this project, as well as a bed (the flatbed is in bad shape), and air/hydraulic brakes. But for now just get the drivetrain pulled, cab scrapped, tongue fabricated and lunette installed so it can be moved around.

Attachments

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Rattlehead said:
I don't want to rely on them, as if for some reason my pony motor won't start, it will be stuck on (or off) the vehicle.
What if you added a hand hydraulic pump as a backup in case the motor dies, and you need to do something like operating the outriggers or stowing the crane?

Rattlehead

It would probably take me a week to use a manual pump to move anything on the boom. I think I almost need to find a donor trailer to get the parts needed (air chamber, master cylinder, relay valve, landing gear).

No.2Diesel

Take a look at Holland Hitch or Premier Hitch for landing gear, hitches, etc. Very cool project. Keep us posted.

Thinking out-loud: Is there enough room to mount the HIAB on the tractor w/pony motor?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
These things are popping up all over the place. If you are willing to answer how much? Did you have to buy the entire truck, or just the K-boom?

Rattlehead

No.2Diesel said:
Take a look at Holland Hitch or Premier Hitch for landing gear, hitches, etc. Very cool project. Keep us posted.

Thinking out-loud: Is there enough room to mount the HIAB on the tractor w/pony motor?
That was my original plan, but this boom is too small. The stabilizers are mounted solid and won't clear my saddle tanks. Plus its only a 16' reach. And since I have no means of hauling anything at all (sold my pickup, deuce is a camper, tractor has no bed), I was in need of a trailer so am going this route for now.

Basically bought the entire truck for the same money I sold my 16' 7k gvw utility trailer for.

Rattlehead

More pics of the project. Nearly 2400 lbs to the scrap yard, and it is no longer a truck. Still need to do the braking, lighting, and replace the bed.

Its not military, but will eventually be painted in military colors and be used to haul military parts, so its all good :D

For the trailer jacks, I took the gear out of the right one and reversed it, then made a cross bar to connect them so I can crank them both from one side.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, great looking transformation so far! Might be a good idea also to add a few items like a genset, air compressor (big one), or a welder on that trailer as well. When you paint it in the Spring, PLEASE take some pics of the finished product....

Rattlehead

I like the idea of a genset and/or welder! It would be even better if I could have one engine that is coupled to a genset, DC generator/welder, hydraulic pump, etc. Just need to get it operational for now, so that I can bring that other stuff home!

Good question on the tongue weight, as I don't really have a clue to the weight of the truck itself to do any calculations. The crane weighs about 2500 lbs per Hiab, but it is several feet back from the lunette. Worst case, I might have to move the crane farther backward. Need to get it legal first, then get it to the scales. I figured that if the tongue weight is already near the 10% mark of the total GVW of the trailer when empty, I can load heavy stuff right on the rear axle.

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rattlehead said:
I like the idea of a genset and/or welder! It would be even better if I could have one engine that is coupled to a genset, DC generator/welder, hydraulic pump, etc.
:idea: Take a look at the smaller trucks used by the telephone and tv cable companies in your area. A lot of them use an Onan generator with a stinger mounted hydraulic pump for the bucket. Not sure on the gpm of the pump but the generators I've seen are around 5kW..... I've even seen some used ones for sale on the auction sites.

Rattlehead

DaveP said:
whats going on with the ring latched to the pintle? maybe a measurement for turning clearance?
Man, good eyes! At first I didn't even know what you were asking. Yeah, I latched it on the deuce to try and figure out clearance with the bumperettes and the van box.

maxim

Man Rattlehead, love the little roller-arounder-motor-hauler!! So you HAVE been coveting DaveP's crane... That boom will come in handy. It's amazing how often you need to pick something up, and a bed to put stuff on to boot. Thats an ambitious project. Now plans for a genset and welder. Grindin, weldin, cuttin, haulin, Rattleheads' Recovery Trailer-Omatic...

Rattlehead

LOL, yeah this trailer is to get me by until I get a wrecker and/or some sort of all terrain crane to move the heavy stuff! Oh yeah, and some property to keep it all!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks