• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Korean Dueces

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Several of you have asked me to look for the Korean version of the duece and I got some good pictures of them as well as an M816 wrecker. I will keep my eye out for other vehicles too but anyone who comes here will be impressed with Kia and Hyundai vehicles

Attachments

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Great pics. Those really are good copies of the deuce. I am surprised that they did not add the inside tie down locations to the beds of these trucks. If you get a chance take a look at the steering to see if they might have added a hydraulic steering system. I notice that the steering column shaft in the engine compartment is different then our deuces. The bow storage looks more useful too as you can keep the bows in one piece. I see that there is still no muffler on that exhaust even though I am sure it is quieter for the driver.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like there might be a muffler tucked back in where the tool box is...was. I like the bow storage too. Wonder if the holders from the front rack on a dropside would work to do that?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am impressed! It's hard to believe they build them 100%. To many details are identical to the older gasser version, at least by looking at the pics. What was copied and what was eventually rebuilt/reused? I also would like to see if they added power steering and any other improvements like double circuit power brakes, etc.

Gerhard

halftrack

Awesome! I love the MERDC camo. It's like living back in the 80's. If they are smart (they probably are because they copied the deuce in the first place) they won't copy the FMTV trucks to replace the copied deuces.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Ferroequinologist said:
Seriously, they did a good job. Bet you could fudge some body panels onto our m35s...
I think you will find that this is exactly where many of the new (not NOS) parts being sold by dealers originate.

DD

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
DDoyle said:
Ferroequinologist said:
Seriously, they did a good job. Bet you could fudge some body panels onto our m35s...
I think you will find that this is exactly where many of the new (not NOS) parts being sold by dealers originate.

DD
That's certainly where the Korean windshields are coming from…….

kcimb

Armyman,

Thanks for the photos! Fascinating that they copied the American deuce SO closely...I thought they were american until I read futher down and saw the Kia motors and different driving lights.

houdel

Tell us more about the engine? Is that a ripoff design too or is it a Korean original? Intake and IP on the right side of the engine, exhaust on he left! How much power do they make?

Elwenil

halftrack said:
Awesome! I love the MERDC camo.
That's not really a Pattern I don't think. The Deuces seem to have different markings almost as if they aren't done on a set pattern. Also I don't agree with the use of the odd half round black and sand images on the wrecker in places. The images look identical and would make it easy to pick out.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
More With Soldiers

Guys the things that South Korea has done and is doing are amazing. They have a first class economy and are able to build anything. Making a copy of any good thing is a classic action in this part of the world. Take a look at all the Rolex watches you find guys hawking in big American cities.

These pictures were taken while the trucks were waiting for the 105 cannons they hauled were being used in a ceremony. I had some fun with the ROK Soldies and here are those pics.

I will try to get the answers you all had or have on the muffler steering, brakes and engine. I doubt that the Koreans will copy the FMTV the dueces are their workhorse. The Cannons they hauled were also copies of our 1950-60's version of our howizer.

Attachments

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: More With Soldiers

actually they ain't copies.Didn't KIA purchase all the old Tooling and drawings for the Deuce,5 tons,Jeeps(Both the lil guys and the M715s)?If so they just redesigned a few things and restarted Production.I kinda like the hood to grill area.Gives it a sleak stylish look.

FreightTrain

Banned

Hey,I wanna set of those mudflaps....Think you could get a set or two and either mail them or bring them back next time your state side?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial

I just noticed that there is no sign of the heater on those from the outside either. Is it like a normal modern heater with just the radiator lines going to a box on the inside of the cab? I don't know the climate, so do they even have heaters? These being assembled for a parade or ceremony makes sense as these are so clean looking. Even the windows look nice and clean. I noticed those nice mudflaps too.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

These trucks are from the ROK Army unit near us and they always keep their stuff clean. I will try to get more pictures of the interior cab and the drive line and such as well. As far as Kia buying the tooling I can not tell you but that is possible. They are great friends to America and they have Soldiers serving with us in Iraq and Afghanistan. 70% of Korea is at 30% grade or more so the duece is right at home here.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FT-you are right WE sold the tooling. Armyman-is there any way to get a pic of the W/S wiper system? Is it electric or air???