• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kwai's 818 Recovery

kinetichotshot

Ok, I'm not going to steal all of Kwai's glory... But I will tell you that everything went fairly well. and give you one picture. i'm sure that Kwai will upload the rest as soon as he gets the chance...
Laterz,
Gator

Attachments

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Kwai

It seems like everyone is getting a tractor but me. Man, I want one! The time just isn't right, right now. I hope I'm not kicking myself in a year. :|

kinetichotshot

Sermis.. My hypothesis on the fuel issue is that either:
A. The seals in the pump(s) are dried up from sitting too long or,
B. there is crap clogging up the line between the tank and filterhousing.

For the rest of you that don't know what the issue is and may have some positive insight...
We got the truck started and running (runs great!) but it isn't drawing any fuel from the tank... once the fuel that we put into the filter housing was gone, the truck was off...

I opened the petcock on the tank side of the filter and some junk came out, but of course no fuel... :(

At this point we decided to call my neighbor (wrecker) and just get the truck hooked up to the trailer and get it positioned for easy hooking! (two more filter housing refills...) and we were waiting on the hook. All else went really well!

Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~

Attachments

the only pump it has is on the eng. its prob pulling air. maybe at the filter gasket, maybe at the three way valve? i have been told the three way valve is a poor setup. i think the petcock in the line by the filter is a vent for draining the filter. it really wouldnt work for much else as it's above the fuel level in the tank. maybe the line off the pump is cracked like a couple of mine were.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am looking at a frozen three way valve on mine and wondered if any of you have a standard commercial replacement that would plumb in and work better. I need to make a 1,000 + mile trip and doing it on one tank means stopping before the bladder is calling.

I did it a little different. Used a transfer pump off from a M51a2. prob not the best but it works as long as you monitor the level in the draw tank. David i'm sure a cici replacement could be located. the lines however, seems to me the were somewhat uncommon size. its been to long ago ( more than yesterday ) and i cant remember.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
David that is what I was thinking the lines being different as I recall most commercial units are electrially operated for at least 30 years now. Been that long or longer since I was a full fledged truck mechanic. I was thinking that the three way valve could be changed to work like one of them or if a new three way is availble somewhere that would be the best for a quick switcheroo to get us on the road.

Thanks

halftrack

I would agree with Dave P. I just spent a whole weekend chasing down small air leaks in my fuel line. If it is sucking air, the truck will run under powered or not at all. It is probably a combination of both air leaks in the fuel line and garbage in the filter and tank.

kinetichotshot

Kwai was headed out on a business trip, and that is why I decided to start the thread since I knew that it would be a little while before he really had the time to get back in here and do this himself. I know that he is intending to patch up the truck and get it roadworthy Sat morn and then begin a little road trip... so the sooner that you guys knew that there was an issue that needed fixed, the better so that he could get some good advice.
Thanks all,
Gator
>|--|~

citizensoldier

Could this be a prime issue? I was told that the cummins looses its prime when they sit for long periods.. I remember reading something about using a air compressor in the tank.. Not a old pro like Dave P but a fast learner.. LOL

citizensoldier said:
Could this be a prime issue? I was told that the cummins looses its prime when they sit for long periods.. I remember reading something about using a air compressor in the tank.. Not a old pro like Dave P but a fast learner. LOL
the loosing prime is just that-- the fuel leaks down from the pump because of an air leak. the Cummins dont like air in the fuel at all. does strange things.

kinetichotshot

I was thinking that possible removing the filter housing and pressurizing the fuel tank might work... it could potentially clean out the lines and get fuel to the filter and once there maybe it would continue to draw... The only reason that I mentioned that petcock is that it was a good place to check to see if fuel was getting from the tank to the filter, or if we were just using the fuel that was in the filter... I don't think that the filter is plugged by any means, but a new filter probably wouldn't be a bad idea. I could tell that the truck had been sitting in its current state for quite some time because there was a "fluid line" about an inch and a half up the bottom of the filter indicative of the filter sitting partly in fluid and mostly in air! Just some more info for you all to help diagnose.
Laterz,
Gator
>|--|~