• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

KY CDL announcement

ROARKY

Purveyor of rusty iron
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I contacted the KY Department of Transportation and asked if trucks that meet the normal CDL requirements, but not being used for commercial use, would require the driver to have a CDL. Their answer is……..

Yes, an operator will need a CDL even if the vehicle is tagged as antique and not used for commercial use.

This is taken straight from the KYDOT website:

Class A CDL
  • For any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating ( GVWR ) of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is more than 10,000 pounds.
Class B CDL
  • Any straight truck with two or more axles and a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more;
  • Any vehicle with two or more axles and a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, pulling a vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less;
  • A single-vehicle designed to transport 16 or more passengers (including the driver) if the GVWR is 26,001 pounds or more.
Class C CDL
  • Any vehicle with a GVWR of fewer than 26,001 pounds transporting hazardous materials for which placarding is required;
  • A single-vehicle designed to transport 16 or more passengers (including the driver) if the GVWR is less than 26,001 pounds.
There are 4 exemptions:

The following groups are exempt from the CDL requirements, provided they meet all the criteria.

1. Drivers of vehicles that are: Used exclusively in farm-to-market agricultural transportation, operated in private carriage, owned and/or operated by the farmer or his employees, and used within the Commonwealth of Kentucky or one-hundred-fifty (150) highway miles of the point of origin if crossing state lines.

2. Drivers of firefighting and other emergency equipment.

3. Drivers of military vehicles if those persons are: Military personnel in uniform, operating the vehicles
in pursuit of a military purpose, and properly licensed by the military.

4. Drivers of vehicles that are designed as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use, and operate on their own motor power or are mounted on or drawn by another vehicle.

I am contacting my rep to see about the possibility of introducing a non-commercial CDL or adding an antique/show exemption. If you live in Ky, I encourage you to do the same.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is not unusual, Ky is following the USDOT laws. TXDOT told me the same thing 15 years ago, I have kept up my CDL ever since. Medical card, drug testing etc just to drive my old army trucks. I see it as a back up career, if everything else fails, I can drive a garbage truck tomorrow.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Michigan we don’t need a CDL as long as the vehicle is for private use. RV’s are exempt in most states. My 934 is now a motor home so I’m all set. I carry a copy of the law that explains this with me in the cab so if I get stopped, I can at least show why I don’t need a CDL.
What if you toss a cot and a porta pot in the back of your truck. Does that make it an RV?

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In AZ a vehicle licensed as a Historic Vehicle (25 years or older) is exempt from CDL and DOT requirements by statute in Title 28 of the Motor Vehicle Code.

Saves a lot of hassle, but just keep your insurance in the high $ range just in case...

DG

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Michigan we don’t need a CDL as long as the vehicle is for private use. RV’s are exempt in most states. My 934 is now a motor home so I’m all set. I carry a copy of the law that explains this with me in the cab so if I get stopped, I can at least show why I don’t need a CDL.
What if you toss a cot and a porta pot in the back of your truck. Does that make it an RV?
In most states a bed and running water constitutes a dwelling ! I E a search warrent would need to be attained to enter without permission in a private motorhome without probable cause but a commercial veh they can come march rite on in any time they want .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks