• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LA - Will pay $$$ to get M35A2 bobber axles rebuilt (bearings, boots, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanksDeuce

I do not have the time nor the expertise to rebuild my 1970 M35A2 axles on my bobbed deuce. The front boots are torn, and I want to replace the bearings, seals, brake cylinders, etc. I am located in Prairieville, LA (just outside Baton Rouge). I have cash in hand.

Let me know your expertise and how much the labor will cost. I have not ordered the replacement parts yet. I would like to make sure I order everything. I have tools, but not much deuce related tools (yet).

HELP ME HELP YOU. :D

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you could wait until next May, I'll be retired and have the time. The expertise, well, not so much.

Flyingvan911

From what I've read it isn't complicated. Sounds like you just need someone to guide you through it. I agree. If the planet splits into a million little pieces, my final thought will be, "thank God I replaced my front axle boots." :beer:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, do you need help using this website, to fix your truck? (perhaps you need help using the Search Function?) Or, do you need help finding the Technical Manuals?

Please post in the appropriate forums. (Website Help Forum, IE, how to use the website)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Perhaps he thought it was the "Website's" help forum.
I can see how someone might think that-it's obvious to me that a section like that is for website issues, but I am special (my Mom always tells me so!).

Hank said:
rebuild my 1970 M35A2 axles on my bobbed deuce

If you were closer (or had unlimited transport dollars) I could do it after the Ga. Rally.

I am not sure how much labor I would charge for it........The rears are easy, I could do both in a single day........ but the front, if it were mine, I'd pull it all the way down to the bare housing, install new inner axle seals (why do all this work and then have to pull it all back apart in 6 months when an inner seal fails?), do one piece boots, clean and paint everything while it's apart, etc.

I'd guess the labor for both rears would be about $3-400, front at least double (for the pair). That would include grease and me adjusting the brake shoes. You supply any parts (shoes, wheel cylinders, hardware, boots, etc.

I did all this to one of clintogf's trucks. It's definitely a weekend project.

Attachments

HanksDeuce

I reviewed other posts in this forum like mine, and it looks like no other moderator chimed in that their post was in the wrong forum. Sometimes the mod did their job and piped up to move the thread, but other times they did not. Confusing isn't it?

Examples:
1. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/websit...hannel-glides-both-driver-passenger-door.html
2. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/website-help/82684-wireing-issues.html
3. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/website-help/75246-m35-stuck-need-some-local-help-nc.html

I do not have time to print out the TMs, look at the wonderful step by step topic posted by several SS members and do the job.

Still looking for a quote from a fellow SS member to do the work.

goldneagle

Get the TM some tools and may be a friend. Get dirty! It will get you familiar with your truck!
I thought that is why the army has a motor pool and mechanics! I never seen anywhere in the TM's that the driver will perform these maintenance procedures!

Just because someone loves MV's doesn't automatically require them to perform all their own maintenance. What are you trying to do? Put mechanics out of business?

I would love to see some of you NORTHERNERS do the axle work here in Louisiana during the hot season (8 months out of the year) of high temps and high humidity! Lets not forget the fire-ants crawling up your leg! Got bitten by those bastages trying to start the gen set during the storm! There was no visible mound during rain...

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry I tried to help you use our website correctly.

Call Memphis Equipment, they can fix your truck.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
cajunm35 dont live all that far from you. he has a local mech that is very good with working on his duece. shout his way or ill look up his phone number for you.

zout

Reminds me of folks who came into the Harley Davidson dealership to get engine work and customization done - meet up with them elsewhere and they not knowing you were there or the Service Manager of that dealership their entire bike got done by and them standing and bragging how great their bike was - and how great a job they did on it. I loved the part with the engine work - they wanted and paid for it to be top of the line - but they had no clue WTH it all meant and when you downloaded the computer - they never went past the speed limit ???? Most times they were lugging the engine.

Yeah - I pretty much expect anyone in this sport - hobby to know a great deal about a 10,000 plus pound truck they are driving down the road how it operates and knows how to repair it. If I had to pay someone to work on my stuff I would shoot myself after selling all of it first.[thumbzup] And also its only my opinion - to learn if they do not know how - buy tools - print off TM's or have them available immediately.

Sorry mods delete if ya want - sometimes ya just have to call BS for what it is.

Coal Cracker

Reminds me of folks who came into the Harley Davidson dealership to get engine work and customization done - meet up with them elsewhere and they not knowing you were there or the Service Manager of that dealership their entire bike got done by and them standing and bragging how great their bike was - and how great a job they did on it. I loved the part with the engine work - they wanted and paid for it to be top of the line - but they had no clue WTH it all meant and when you downloaded the computer - they never went past the speed limit ???? Most times they were lugging the engine.

Yeah - I pretty much expect anyone in this sport - hobby to know a great deal about a 10,000 plus pound truck they are driving down the road how it operates and knows how to repair it. If I had to pay someone to work on my stuff I would shoot myself after selling all of it first.[thumbzup] And also its only my opinion - to learn if they do not know how - buy tools - print off TM's or have them available immediately.

Sorry mods delete if ya want - sometimes ya just have to call BS for what it is.

I'm sure they had CASH to spend, and the harley dealership took it, heck I would. Brag all you want but I have a pocket full of cash. I know allot of people in the classic car world that know only how to put gas in and go, they pay me for servicing thier vehicle. We all cant be good at everything, in my opinion he came to the right place to ask for help and he's offering to pay.

3dAngus

Maybe someone can help you develop a parts list for the job, order the parts, and just go up to your local truck repair center with truck and parts. They will do it for you. And if you meet the mechanics, ask them if they do any moonlighting. Answer: heck yes, and you can get an even better price, while learning a person who can work on your truck on demand.

I know a couple of mechanics I work with that love to make a little extra money on the side.
Fortunately, on my MV's, I have not had to use them yet. Just on tractors and bulldozers, dump trucks, and cars.:lol:
Always good to know a few mechanics. You do need to get the parts though.

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a many things I can do on my own. However there are times when having a pro perform the work makes sense to me. I will not work on my brake system or tear down any of the major driveline components. Too important to leave to this shade tree mechanic. A pro will be able to do the work faster and most importantly, it will be correct. I'll do my own work on just about everything else. I will say that at no time did doing any of the work myself make me a better operator. It has caused quite a bit of cussing and a few things to get broken though.

If you can't or won't do the work hire someone who can and will.

Last edited:

HanksDeuce

Sorry I tried to help you use our website correctly.
Call Memphis Equipment, they can fix your truck.
Thanks for the critical feedback, doghead. If my thread is in the wrong forum, then a forum moderator/admin should move it to the appropriate forum. That person should also move the 5-10 other topics that are in the Website Help Forum into the correct forum. Both of those things will help clean the SS site up. A moderator/admin could also post a sticky in the Website Help Forum that tells others that the Website Help Forum is only for problems with the SS website. Maybe a new forum is required specifically for SS members to ask for help from others (whether it be for $$$ or not)?

I base all of the information above on the Forums Rules page.
Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite - Forum Rules

• Keep it INFORMATIVE. This is a place to share information, not fluff, jokes, emails, dirty pictures, etc… Make a good contribution. Don’t post just for the sake of posting. Be prepared to back up your information with sources because it is in our nature to challenge others.

I'm not sure where you are going with this one, zout. Have we even met? At first I took the criticism as you think I don't know how to work on my own vehicle. I bobbed and lifted my own truck with help from timntrucks. I swapped the tranny for a rebuilt one. This isn't a question of my mechanical abilities up to this point. I don't have to show you a resume of vehicles I've worked on or things I've built as a mechanical engineer. And I'm not the type of person to brag on things I haven't done myself.

As far as this work is concerned I would like to get the job done a little quicker than what it would take me. Yes, the weather here sucks. I don't have a shop large enough to drive the deuce inside to work on it.

There are some here that caution other SS members not to get into situations where they could ruin the hobby for others. Doing complicated things (brake and axle work) that could end up causing a wreck and putting our MV hobby at risk. Don't you think I'm considering that now?

I ask future SS members that will post to this topic get off your soap box and someone step up to accept my money to do this work. Keep your opinions to yourself. If I can't find a member to that I will then find a shop.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you spent half the time you spent quoting post(with snippy replies),posting links to other threads that need management, posting rules, and telling the membership what you do not want, you probably could have read a bunch of the appropriate TMs and learned some mechanical skills to fix your truck(which you have no time to fix(or read TMs).

Attitude, goes a long ways.

Call Memphis Equipment. They have business insurance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks