• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lack of power at speed.

cucvrus

I drove that M1009 over 100,000 miles and I never noticed anything that would make me think I needed bigger pipes. It came out the engine at 2" and exited at 2". Plumbers rule is a 2" pipe from the well head will only delivery 2" of water at the end even if it has an 8" pipe at the end. It may reverberate a bit more and make more noise but at 2" and stainless steel it worked great for many years and I sold that truck 2 years ago with them pipes on. Good Luck with your quest and Be Safe.

Sganderson

I drove that M1009 over 100,000 miles and I never noticed anything that would make me think I needed bigger pipes. It came out the engine at 2" and exited at 2". Plumbers rule is a 2" pipe from the well head will only delivery 2" of water at the end even if it has an 8" pipe at the end. It may reverberate a bit more and make more noise but at 2" and stainless steel it worked great for many years and I sold that truck 2 years ago with them pipes on. Good Luck with your quest and Be Safe.
Straight pipe, No muffler?

Jake59

Thank you CucvRus,

2" stainless steal pipes it will be... well, with 2 slim long glass packed strait through muflers/silencers somewhere in between.

Great, time to put the hydraulic pipe bender to use!

Thanks,
Jake

Keith_J

The most restrictive portion of the stock exhaust system are the crimp bent head pipes. Here, the peak velo city is highest, bends severe and high inner pipe roughness.
Replicating these in mandrel bent stainless is your best bet. Remember, this engine spins at 3600 rpm..not even 400 standard cubic feet per minute. Plus 100 grams of diesel per minute.

With regards to low power at high speeds, this is another use for exhaust gas temperature. Low power with low exhaust gas temperature means fueling rate is low. High exhaust temperature and low power means late injection timing.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot of writing about ways to boost power here, but I didn't se mention of any potential faults for lower power. I'll offer that my HMMWV 6.2L had lower power when hot than initial startup. I'm certain it was low compression, as that motor had been badly abused by the ANG before I saved it from the DLA yard.

Bulldogger

Jake59

Weird... I was expecting more reaction to this comment: " ... and which also explains why we consume as much fuel as we do as we very poorly burn just a little bit of the fuel in the cylinder {which can be resolved by injecting pre-heated diesel fuel to 400 degrees Celcius = 752 F and which then will warrant a complete, clean and most efficient burn} ... "

... either no one believes herein or perhaps none want to see this in the spotlight... ?

... as far as preheating the fuel to 752 F is concerned, such can be done virtually instantly, as in, when you turn the ignition key on and as you are waiting for the glow plugs to complete their heating cycle, well, by the time this is done, the diesel fuel will also have reached nearly 400 C!!
Clearly such system will not work on CR diesels, as neither electromagnetic nor piezo type injectors can handle such temperatures and will burn out in no time, completely destroying the injector.
Fully mechanical injectors however can deal with these high fuel temperatures when injected, but may fall victim to carbon build up near the tip, thus pointing out that injectors with multiple spray holes are a no go as the holes will clog. The 6.2 however has only a single injection hole with the needle sticking out... promising!!
The fuel will completely gasify and will burn instantly and completely, the bang will be intenser but shorter and the exhaust will be much much cleaner, with no soot and yes, cooler exhaust, cleaner oil!! Obviously the bang will generate higher stress on the head, head gasket, pistons, connecting rods, cranckshaft, bearings anc caps...

Just sharing some thoughts ...

Jake

Keith_J

Weird... I was expecting more reaction to this comment: " ... and which also explains why we consume as much fuel as we do as we very poorly burn just a little bit of the fuel in the cylinder {which can be resolved by injecting pre-heated diesel fuel to 400 degrees Celcius = 752 F and which then will warrant a complete, clean and most efficient burn} ... "

... either no one believes herein or perhaps none want to see this in the spotlight... ?

... as far as preheating the fuel to 752 F is concerned, such can be done virtually instantly, as in, when you turn the ignition key on and as you are waiting for the glow plugs to complete their heating cycle, well, by the time this is done, the diesel fuel will also have reached nearly 400 C!!
Clearly such system will not work on CR diesels, as neither electromagnetic nor piezo type injectors can handle such temperatures and will burn out in no time, completely destroying the injector.
Fully mechanical injectors however can deal with these high fuel temperatures when injected, but may fall victim to carbon build up near the tip, thus pointing out that injectors with multiple spray holes are a no go as the holes will clog. The 6.2 however has only a single injection hole with the needle sticking out... promising!!
The fuel will completely gasify and will burn instantly and completely, the bang will be intenser but shorter and the exhaust will be much much cleaner, with no soot and yes, cooler exhaust, cleaner oil!! Obviously the bang will generate higher stress on the head, head gasket, pistons, connecting rods, cranckshaft, bearings anc caps...

Just sharing some thoughts ...

Jake
Indirect injection diesel is already very clean once the engine is at operation temperature. Diesels run a different thermodynamic cycle, on the P-V diagram, heat addition is a constant pressure process, any bang is due to short injection window at idle. At maximum fuel, the injection window is the widest.

On spark ignition Otto Cycle, heat addition is a constant volume process with rapid increase in cylinder pressure, the equivalent burn rate is a function of flame speed and when it exceeds the relative speed of sound, there is engine clatter and potential damage. There is also a rise in soot and HC emissions.

Modern technology has blurred the differences with gasoline direct injection which at times, has heat addition as a constant pressure process, only it still uses a spark to start ignition.

Reactions: 98G

Skinny

Wow thats pretty complicated. I thought it was mostly the 160hp engine, power robbing non lockup poorly geared transmission, and 3.08 gears which belong in a Prius. But I could be wrong...

Lower your expectations or increase your spending to solve this problem. My truck carries a large aluminum box with a generator stuffed in it...we will not be setting the world on fire in stock form. Although I did tow my Suburban on a pretty beefy trailer and it did ok. Granted it was near sea level and nothing above 45mph.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks