• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Land Anchors for winching MV campers ??

coachgeo

LAND ANCHORS for winching our size trucks.

What ya'll got and have used? Particularly the BIG TRUCKS as MV campers!

Searched a bit to see what info is out there for trucks as big as Mogs, FMTV's, Deuce and Deuce 1/2 etc. sized Overland/Expedition campers.
Lot of bits and pieces of info.... but really nothing clear. Anyone got new info? Is their Pull Pall like things for trucks our size orr?Screenshot from 2023-01-16 14-13-38.png

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The plates and pins work, I can attest to that. Contrary to what one would believe, the pins should be inserted straight down, NOT (as one would instinctively do) "against" the pull direction (like tent pegs). The reason is that high pull forces would cause the pins to act as a lever that breaks up the ground the pin sits in and it becomes instantly loose.

Not a great pic but look at the angle of the pins. They lean "outward" a bit but not against the direction of pull.
1673960954851.png
pic: BRITPART

For truly heavy vehicles, the best anchor is still digging a T shaped trench. A piece of tree trunk goes in the cross part of the T with the strap or chain around it and the pull line comes in on the gently sloping other part of the T. With a solid piece of wood bracing against the ground a few feet down, it is a very solid anchor. Also called "Dead Man" anchor.
On the other hand, digging it may be a 6-8 beer affair.

Here is a pic (for a lighter vehicle):

1673961140884.png
Pic: offroaders.com

Last edited:

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bury your spare tire 3' down, laying flat.

That way you don't have to carry something extra.

Don't forget to hook to it before filling the hole...

BTW, this isn't meant to be funny. It works pretty well, I've had to do it on occasion to hold my truck back when winching another 5-ton.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks