• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Land Train???

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
sigo, do you live next to the actual unit for sale? If so, pictures of it would be highly entertaining for us and might help the seller also. I know I wouldn't bid much without actual pictures of what I was bidding on.
I do live nearby. The pictures posted in the auction are of the unit for sale. I think the seller referenced the one that was tested in Yuma, and the way he worded the description was confusing. I'm going to give the seller a call and see if I can get up close to take some pictures, but in his initial reply he said the company contracted to clean up the salvage yard it's in were concerned about liability so they didnt want me in there while they're working.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Ferro,

You are correct about the diesel/turbine electric motive power. Each wheel on the rig was powered by an electric motor.
I'm sure there had to be a lot of servos and other control systems to steer the beast when it was in motion.
I don't know if any of the stuff I saw in Yuma is still there (it was back in the early 80's) but if so between all the surviving parts at least one semi-complete unit might be feasible.

It would be real cool to plan a rally around one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks