• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Landing Gear Spare Parts? Anyone? (Or suggestion on how to repair it?)

ACO43

I took the landing gear off my M116A3 to lube it up. It worked, but it didn’t work very well, and I figured it probably just needed some fresh lubrication. So, I took it apart. When I got the top off I found that the lube around the gear had pretty much dried into partially congealed chunks.

IMG_1224.jpg

I removed most of those by just shaking it over a trash can then removing most of what was left with large tweezers. So, after I removed the gears I pulled the two halves apart and find this…

IMG_1228.jpgIMG_1226.jpgIMG_1225.jpg

…Well…shoot! That doesn’t look good. I think you can see the problem by the pictures but not being familiar with the technical names of the parts I’ll call it the shaped “nut” that the main screw threads through is obviously broken in several pieces. Also, one of the two pins that hold it in place is bent too. There’s just enough there to hold it together if I reassembled it but I’m sure it wouldn’t last long and being that part appears to be cast metal I doubt it could be welded. I’m sure I could replace the bent pin with something from the local hardware store. The local ACE Hardware has an excellent nut, bolt, screw etc. section that has a surprising variety of oddball parts, but the cast “nut” I’m not sure how I could go about trying to duplicate that. And since the main screw is pretty much welded into place on it from each end that would be another challenge. Anybody got that part, (the cast iron “nut” and main screw), for a landing gear that they like to sell me?

Or, as an alternative, anybody got any good ideas on how to fabricate a replacement that would work?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Common problem for those jacks.
Fixable, but a PITA.

A lot of guys ditch that jack and go with a side mount M1101/2 style 5k jack.
Still grease-able and a lot stronger internals.

I don’t own your style jack and the above info is what I’ve read in older threads.
My trailers have the M1101/2 crank jack.
Best additions ever.

A62526F6-C919-4FF1-B14E-A739981335DF.jpg

tobyS

Agree pjwest...I have a couple of sticks I've saved that are 9' but no nuts... McMaster has them closer to Cal..

Guyfang

Staff member
I took the landing gear off my M116A3 to lube it up. It worked, but it didn’t work very well, and I figured it probably just needed some fresh lubrication. So, I took it apart. When I got the top off I found that the lube around the gear had pretty much dried into partially congealed chunks.

View attachment 722640

I removed most of those by just shaking it over a trash can then removing most of what was left with large tweezers. So, after I removed the gears I pulled the two halves apart and find this…

View attachment 722641View attachment 722642View attachment 722643

…Well…shoot! That doesn’t look good. I think you can see the problem by the pictures but not being familiar with the technical names of the parts I’ll call it the shaped “nut” that the main screw threads through is obviously broken in several pieces. Also, one of the two pins that hold it in place is bent too. There’s just enough there to hold it together if I reassembled it but I’m sure it wouldn’t last long and being that part appears to be cast metal I doubt it could be welded. I’m sure I could replace the bent pin with something from the local hardware store. The local ACE Hardware has an excellent nut, bolt, screw etc. section that has a surprising variety of oddball parts, but the cast “nut” I’m not sure how I could go about trying to duplicate that. And since the main screw is pretty much welded into place on it from each end that would be another challenge. Anybody got that part, (the cast iron “nut” and main screw), for a landing gear that they like to sell me?

Or, as an alternative, anybody got any good ideas on how to fabricate a replacement that would work?

I talked to a TACOM Rep. who told me the darn thing was supposed to be a more or less a "pluck and chuck" item. Not really ment to be fixed. Simply order another, when it broke. TACOM didn't want to stock parts for it, as it was a cheap piece of crap. Every one I "fixed", I simply replaced.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CUCVFAN on this list has some crank up landing legs that are NOS. I don't recall what he was asking...but I remember that he offered a reduced SteelSoldiers price. His landing leg comes with a new handle, too. I have one and I love it.