• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LARC?

dirtyfingernails

My wife and I went over to the submarine museum in St. Marys Georgia earlier in the summer. Very cool museum (even though I'm an army guy). Anyway, on the way back, we saw this from far off. Is it a LARC? Lighter Amphibious Resupply Cargo. Thought some might find it interesting.
Steve

Attachments

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
That would be a LARC LX - sometimes known as a BARC (Barge amphibious resupply cargo) - the biggest of the LARC family (so big, it can't really be appreciated until you get close.

Also built were LARC XV and the most common, the LARC V. IMHO, the LARC LX was obsoleted because it wasn't new and gadget-laden.

A remarkable machine, thanks for posting the pic.

Regards,
David Doyle

azcraig

There used to be 8 to 10 of them in Gilbert AZ. Just north of the railroad tracks in the industrial area.
About 1993 went to show them to my nephews and they were gone.I was hopeing somrone on here from AZ might know were they went.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
That is a LARK 60 they had a GM 6-71 engine driving each wheel. Built to carry the M 60 tank from the ship to the shore. 60 tons of lift capacity the Army gave up on them right after I got into the service. The Navy and Army perfer to set up an LCAS or elevated causeway where the ships can come in and offload to a prefabbed pier that is set up from the shore to deep water. They are more efficient and seeing as how we have to take the beach before we can bring stuff in the causeway brings a greater capacity. I think the big issue with LARKS is they were so slow that they were sitting ducks. The LACV 30 lasted longer but even the ACV's are gone now only the Navy still runs them. You have to let the Marines take the beachead and then set up a secure pier.

byrdman1312

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The LARC with the Gama Goat in it is a LARC XV (15 ton), however I can't see the headlights on either side of the loading ramp. I believe this one has been modified in the front. The LARC LX could haul two goats, side by side. Remember, the LARC LX was built to haul our largest main battle tank at the time, the M60.

slantflat

There's one in St. Augustine at a museum there. Can't recall the name of the museum, but I was up in the bay and also on the surrounding decks. It's like its own city.

lavarok

There used to be one in Green Cove Springs, FL. Not sure what model, but it was definitely a LARC. I haven't driven that way lately, so not sure if its still there.