• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Large and "OMG it's HUGE" towbar feet to tow a deuce?

TexAndy

Thanks. Can't wait to see your setup.

For a minute there I was thinking the only way to do this would be to relocate the lift brackets to the front face of the bumper or something.

goldneagle

I made a filler that went inside the D-shakle and then used a grade 8 1-1/2" diameter bolt to attach thee end of the tow bar to the D-shackle. It was a 3/4" thick steel piece that had a 1-1/2" hole in the center. Then I put another 1/2" steel plate that was as big as the whole D-shackle and had a 1-1/2" hole in the center on top of the D-shackle.

To summarize: 1-1/2" bolt goes through the 1/2" plate. Then goes through the 3/4" filler piece inside the D-shackle. Then through the hole at the end of the tow bar. Then flat washer and 1-1/2" nut, and a 2nd 1-1/2" nut to keep the nut from falling off.

TexAndy

I made a filler that went inside the D-shakle and then used a grade 8 1-1/2" diameter bolt to attach thee end of the tow bar to the D-shackle. It was a 3/4" thick steel piece that had a 1-1/2" hole in the center. Then I put another 1/2" steel plate that was as big as the whole D-shackle and had a 1-1/2" hole in the center on top of the D-shackle.

To summarize: 1-1/2" bolt goes through the 1/2" plate. Then goes through the 3/4" filler piece inside the D-shackle. Then through the hole at the end of the tow bar. Then flat washer and 1-1/2" nut, and a 2nd 1-1/2" nut to keep the nut from falling off.

Got pics? Sounds intriguing.

goldneagle

I gave my friend Don the parts for recovering my first Deuce while I was in the hospital with congestive heart failure a few years ago. i will see if he has access to them. He usually has everything burried in a box somewhere...never to see the light of day again!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "huge" towbar you have pictured is what you need for towing a M915-916-919-920. They have 1.5" pins on the front. I just bought one myself. You can lift them manually if you split them and only lift one end at a time.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ones with handles are often referred to as the towbar from he77. The smaller one in the pic is normally called the jr towbar from he77. Correct adapters exist for the Jr bar. Gimpyrobb and Poppop use that style bar almost exclusively. Gimpy may have a hook that can provide the correct adapters. The Sr bar is often found on the M88 and used to recover and move armor and as NDT pointed out can be used with the HET style trucks.

TexAndy

I wonder if the medium tow bar feet with 1" pins would work in the large tow bar?

What's the pin size on those feet where it mates to the tow bar?

eta: Thanks for the heads up Recovery. I'll send a PM to both of them later tonight.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
here are the pics of fthe two different tow bar from he11 adaptors, the one on the left is the 1"x1 1/2" pin size that fit the deuce and 5t, the one on the right is 1 1/2"x 1 1/2" pin size that fits the tow brackets that is used to pull a BIG FREGIN SOMETHING

hope this helps

Attachments

Last edited:

TexAndy

"I wonder if the medium tow bar feet with 1" pins would work in the large tow bar"
NO I tried that to

Here are the pics of fthe two different tow bar from he11 adaptors, the one on the left is the 1"x1 1/2" pin size that fit the deuce and 5t, the one on the right is 1 1/2"x 1 1/2" pin size that fits the tow brackets that is used to pull a BIG FREGIN SOMETHING

hope this helps

Thanks. The one on the left sounds like it would work for the "HUGE" mother, but not the "Large." The Large has 1" pin to feet holes. The huge has 1.5" pin to feet holes.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I read your 1" post wrong, should work
these are for the HUGE, if your other TB has 1" holes where the adaptors attach, then most likely you can use medium adaptors on it

Last edited:

combat32

Congrats, you got a big towbar! I was in Armor for 21 years and know em well, handy if yer towin an M1 or M88 or Bradley, I think there is an adapter to use on a deuce or somethin smaller.It is a 3 man lift IIRC, have done it with two in a pinch.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
"It is a 3 man lift IIRC, have done it with two in a pinch. "

ONE man with a wrecker works GREAT :beer:

TexAndy

Congrats, you got a big towbar! I was in Armor for 21 years and know em well, handy if yer towin an M1 or M88 or Bradley, I think there is an adapter to use on a deuce or somethin smaller.It is a 3 man lift IIRC, have done it with two in a pinch.

I about gave myself a hernia getting them into the back of that deuce all by myself.

It's definitely a minimum 2 man job to avoid risk of injury.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the 819 weights 36000+ which is rite under the medium limit collapsed, streach it out and the work load goes way down, also i had a 8x8 that if i had to flat tow, the medium would have been way under size

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
TexAndy, wsucougarx has the feet you want. I expressed intrest, but I guess my offer wasn't high enough. You should send him a Pm and ask how much he wants for them. They will work on the smaller of your tow bars. By the way, it uses a one and an eighth inch pin, not one inch.

TexAndy

cool, thanks. Assuming he doesn't want to sell, do you think it would work to use the medium feet with the 1" pins on both end and just sleeve the 1 - 1/8" pin holes on the tow bar?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks