• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Large Engine transplant for M37 ?

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
4BT is fairly common , MSeries Rebuild for one does those installations . I have also seen the 6BT . What exactly do you want to do with your M37 ? You can put pretty much ANYTHING into ANYTHING with enough time and MONEY . Along with the new power you have to also do something with the rest of a 60 year old drive train . Keep in mind that the original drive train was designed for a low speed 100HP engine .

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's true that you can put the monster, supercharged gazillion horsepower engines in the M-37, but it will only break and destroy the rest of your power train. If you want to go fast in a M-37 you will need to change the transmission, transfer case, front and rear ends, brakes (the brakes were never meant to stop a 6000 lb + truck doing 70 to 80 MPH) and steering. You will also have problems cornering (high center of gravity - especially if you want to lift it) at higher speeds.

These trucks are more akin to farm tractors that you can drive on the highway; they do not lend themselves very well to being converted to Formula 1 racers with a truck body. If you want a "more powerful" truck you would really be better off looking at a more modern truck.

You are trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. You can do it, but it will be very expensive and it could be very frustrating.

Just something to think about before you are nipple deep in the swamp.....

Storm 51

Roller

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a guy in Colorado that has a 500 cubic inch Cadillac engine in his M37. Can't remember his name though, but I think his first name is Keith.

Frank

FrankUSMC

I am with rtk and Storm 51 on this. I have had several stock M37s, and one modified one. The modified one has a Dodge 318 in it, with a non-stock transmission, power steering, front and rear end gears changed and disc brakes all the way around.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm just trying to be sure that JimC2 has thought about where this road leads. It's not just a bigger engine. If you know where you will end up and are prepared for the effort and cost, have fun, it's your truck.

Charles Talbert at M Series Rebuild would be a really good person to have this discussion with before you start. He's a great guy and he could probably smooth the road you're going to travel if you decide you really want to do this.

Just a suggestion and nothing I wrote was meant as criticism.

Full disclosure: I like stock; I've learned the hard way that the engineers that designed these trucks undoubtedly knew more than I do. Also, I like knowing that the manuals can be relied upon. I'm lazy that way.

Good luck with your truck and project whatever you decide to do.

Storm 51

JimC2

I've had a Big Block Chevy in my 37 since about 1969 or 70. It was an easy install that didn't require any cutting or bodywork (did require a bit of pounding on the oilpan). Used it to replace my earlier 318 conversion (done about 1967) because the 318 was a bit shy on torque. I've only had the BB installed for about 45 years now, so perhaps my time in grade with it is a bit limited, but I've not yet noticed any particular problems because of it. I could be missing something though, so there may be problems I've not picked up on yet. Time for a re-engine now, so was curious if anyone has done anything substantially larger and if they had fitment issues. That 500 Caddy interests me. I was thinking about a 502 Chevy because it would be a bolt-in, and I wouldn't have to make any changes in my present installation. Storm, I do appreciate your input and that of others. Where does this lead that I might have overlooked for the half century since I did it?

I wholeheartedly agree about the cornering. I've turned my 37 over several times over the years. They do lots of things quite well, but stopping and cornering aren't among them.

Last edited:

JimC2

Frank, if you Remember Keith's last name, could you let me know, please?
Much appreciated,
Jim
P.S. Nothing wrong with stock. I plan to leave my XM708 stock, though after owning it for 43 years, I'm just now getting around to putting an LU-4 on it (to match the one on my 37). And, I also ran my 37 stock between 1962 and 1966.

Last edited:

JimC2

P.S., I also installed a KS-22 No-Spin and a set of Warn hubs back around 1965-66. Do you guys think that might be what kept the 318 and the BB from presenting any problems?

Most of my time has been off-road in the swamplands of eastern Arkansas.

BTW, I kept the 5.83 differentials because I like that gear ratio. I did change the transmission out to an SM465 so I could keep the PTO in the stock location.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks